Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Raid 0 and Windows 7

Last response: in Storage
Share
October 6, 2013 4:51:54 PM

Heres my story about 2 years ago i bought a computer from cyberpower pc outfitted with Raid 0 between 2 120gb OCZ SSDs and yesterday i turned on my computer and then "Operating System is missing" Well I have been having a fun time trying to repair this and then i noticed while looking around in my BIOs I found my SATA configuration is set to AHCI and not RAID, I was wondering if i set it to RAID would i be able to boot correctly into my operating system?

More about : raid windows

a c 100 G Storage
a b $ Windows 7
October 6, 2013 5:06:09 PM

Yes.

The drives were initialized as RAID0 at some point and unless you modify them either in the motherboard RAID setup or by formatting/erasing data on the disk they'll be as you left them.

You won't affect the data on the drives physically by switching between AHCI and RAID in the BIOS, you just won't be able to boot if it's not correct.

I have the SAME PROBLEM every time I update my BIOS. It goes back to default settings and I have to change AHCI to BIOS, make sure my RAID is set as the primary boot device and then it's fine.
m
0
l
October 6, 2013 5:10:14 PM

photonboy said:
Yes.

The drives were initialized as RAID0 at some point and unless you modify them either in the motherboard RAID setup or by formatting/erasing data on the disk they'll be as you left them.

You won't affect the data on the drives physically by switching between AHCI and RAID in the BIOS, you just won't be able to boot if it's not correct.

I have the SAME PROBLEM every time I update my BIOS. It goes back to default settings and I have to change AHCI to BIOS, make sure my RAID is set as the primary boot device and then it's fine.


Also will this affect my 1tb storage HDD and my Optical drive while changing it to RAID because all my SATA devices are listed under this setting. Also all i have done to modify the drives is to try " Bootrec /fixmbr and the automatic Startup repair process in the windows 7 repair dvd before i found this out. Will this negatively affect anything?
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 906 G Storage
a b $ Windows 7
October 6, 2013 5:44:29 PM

Probably nothing that startup repair could fix again if it doesnt boot.
You were given a clue during startup repair though. <grin - btdt> It saw your drives without you needing to load the raid driver. Make sure you have the pre-install driver handy, on a usb stick would be fine.
m
0
l

Best solution

a c 100 G Storage
a b $ Windows 7
October 6, 2013 5:56:05 PM

Respond back after you try what I recommended:

1. Change AHCI to RAID
2. Ensure the RAID setup is assigned as your primary boot device

I can't give you more exact instructions because not all BIOS setups are identical.
Share
October 6, 2013 6:04:52 PM

photonboy said:
Respond back after you try what I recommended:

1. Change AHCI to RAID
2. Ensure the RAID setup is assigned as your primary boot device

I can't give you more exact instructions because not all BIOS setups are identical.

I will try that and also my Mobo is an ASUS RAMPAGE EXTREME IV
m
0
l
October 6, 2013 6:11:14 PM

ok it just booted into a hibernation resume screen and then it error coded and then it told me to restart my computer or else it could behave wrong and now i am at the windows 7 login screen
m
0
l
October 6, 2013 6:41:32 PM

So far it is working normally. Thanks a lot photon boy
m
0
l
a c 100 G Storage
a b $ Windows 7
October 7, 2013 10:34:47 PM

Clankxk said:
So far it is working normally. Thanks a lot photon boy


Cheers.
I recommend you also learn how to make a backup Image. I use Acronis True Image to do automated weekly backups and delete the oldest but even just using Windows Image is a good idea to prevent reinstalling everything if you have problems.

Backup to a physically separate drive.
m
0
l
!