Can i7 4770 be overclocked

Steven511

Honorable
Jul 18, 2013
Hey all,

I finally got my PC built but sadly my uncle made a mistake and got the i7 4770 3.4 Ghz and not the K version @ 3.5 Ghz,

like the title says, can i7 4770 be overclocked and by how much and safely?

also I would love to see a guide also because I really need one since I'm new to overclocking,

I tried a bit with the GPU with MSI Afterburner and stress test it with MSI Kombustor and was able to push the graphics card 15-20 fps

here are some of the main specs below if needed -

i7 4770 3.4Ghz

GTX 780 Hall of Fame

Asus MAXIMUS VI HERO Z87

Kingston 16GB HyperX Beast 2400MHz

Corsair H100i Hydro Series Extreme Performance CPU Cooling

Samsung 256GB 840 Pro

Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 High Airflow ATX Cube Case

looking forward to your help and replies, thanks!

Also I'd like to thank every one who helped me with parts over the past few months,

Solution
bios can do it, but altering that alters the pci-e bus speed which can become unstable. I'd just stick with turbo mode at 3.9 unless you really know what you are doing. you might be able to alter it to 3.9 all of the time in bios, but i've not played with a locked chip.

Steven511

Honorable
Jul 18, 2013

Thanks all for the replies and yeah but I really don't want to send the PC up to him again and take it out and wait for a new one because to be honest as it is it's more then enough haha, I would just like to think of maybe next years games or do I even need to overclock it for gaming? id just like it @ 4Ghz to be honest, is it 100% safe and could it be done through software or do I need to go into the Asus BIOS, thanks!

bios can do it, but altering that alters the pci-e bus speed which can become unstable. I'd just stick with turbo mode at 3.9 unless you really know what you are doing. you might be able to alter it to 3.9 all of the time in bios, but i've not played with a locked chip.

Solution

Steven511

Honorable
Jul 18, 2013

I have the GTX 780 Hall of Fame Edition, do you mean 3.9Ghz from the boost on the i7 4770? I'm not really familiar with the boost technology and all I know it clocks up to 3.9Ghz when at full load so that's when playing games right? or is there a way to turn in on and off when I start a game or even want to play a game, thanks for all the replies.

wazzafab

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2014

So where is the turbo mode you are talking about? I have the MSI B85M-G43 motherboard with Intel i7-4770, and have installed MSI Command Center - Tried adjusting everything but not sure where / how to get it to 3.9. Stuck on 3.4