Solved

120mm Fans Loud?

Hey everybody,

So this past weekend I built my nephew a computer and added 3 120mm additional case fans to help with the air flow.

My concern is that they sound a tad loud at 1,200 rpm. They sounded almost silent when they weren't in there case but as soon as I put them in and screwed them down, they sounded loud. Is that normal? Such as the disruption between the case and the fan causes that sound? Here's the link of the case fans I bought: Cooler Master Sickleflow 120mm

Also, here are the parts for the computer I built
AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
MSI 970A-G46 ATX AM3+ Motherboard
G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory
Asus Radeon HD 7790 2GB Video Card
Thermaltake VL80001W2Z ATX Mid Tower Case
Cooler Master R4-L2R-20AC-GP 69.0 CFM 120mm Fan
Corsair CX 500W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply
8 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about 120mm fans loud
  1. Depending how you have them set up in push or pull and if they have filters, they can get a little loud considering they are a higher cfm pushing fan. Depending on the ambient temps where the computer is located you could just turn the fans down.
  2. HillBillyAsian said:
    Depending how you have them set up in push or pull and if they have filters, they can get a little loud considering they are a higher cfm pushing fan. Depending on the ambient temps where the computer is located you could just turn the fans down.


    I have two fans mounted on the bottom that pull air in and two fans on top that that push air out. I monitored my temps all weekend and have been averaging no more than 45 all around. I was attempting to turn down my two system fans that were plugged into my mobo via the BIOS but it only displayed 1 fan, not both.
  3. you could always get a fan controller and go that route, or did you check the boxes the fans cam in to see if they had a what looks like little extension but is actually a undervolter to quiet the fans?
  4. HillBillyAsian said:
    you could always get a fan controller and go that route, or did you check the boxes the fans cam in to see if they had a what looks like little extension but is actually a undervolter to quiet the fans?


    No unfortunately there wasn't, there were only adapters in the box which I also used since my mobo only supports 3 fans. I'll probably look into a fan controller, any recommendations?
  5. Best answer
    depends if you're looking for a fancy lcd screened on or a simple turn knob lol. But i'd stick with on the cheaper end with nzxt and bitfenix in the midrange.
  6. HillBillyAsian said:
    depends if you're looking for a fancy lcd screened on or a simple turn knob lol. But i'd stick with on the cheaper end with nzxt and bitfenix in the midrange.


    Sounds great! I'll take a look into it and will probably buy one. Thank you!
  7. HillBillyAsian said:
    depends if you're looking for a fancy lcd screened on or a simple turn knob lol. But i'd stick with on the cheaper end with nzxt and bitfenix in the midrange.


    So I looked more into my case fan to isolate exactly which fan is causing the noise. I found that my SYSFAN_2 on my mobo doesn't allow control over the voltage which caused one of the fans to continuously run nearly at 100% at 1.9k RPMs.

    Looks like I would either need to buy a new case fan that has an adapter such as a JetFlo 120 from Cooler Master or buy a fan controller.
  8. Then it comes down to how much you want to shell out, you can get a nice 25 dollar fan controller that you can reuse later on, or a 8 dollar fan with the undervolting adapter. Up to you and how much you want to spend on it.
Ask a new question

Read More

Cases Computers Fan Cooling Systems