Solved

Clone a server raid 1 hard drive to a larger drive

I have a Dell 2950 raid 1. I cloned the 73gig drive to a 146gig drive. The clone worked fine except it shows the 146gig drive as a 73 gig drive. How can I increase the partition to use all of the 146 gigs?
7 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about clone server raid hard drive larger drive
  1. RAID 1 - what size is each drive in the array?
  2. The Brew said:
    I have a Dell 2950 raid 1. I cloned the 73gig drive to a 146gig drive. The clone worked fine except it shows the 146gig drive as a 73 gig drive. How can I increase the partition to use all of the 146 gigs?


    Brew
    connect 146GB to a SATA port of your MOBO, make sure it;s AHCI.
    Go to Disk Manager - expand the partition to use al of unused space
    Done!
  3. USAFRet said:
    RAID 1 - what size is each drive in the array?


    The Brew said:
    I have a Dell 2950 raid 1. I cloned the 73gig drive to a 146gig drive. The clone worked fine except it shows the 146gig drive as a 73 gig drive. How can I increase the partition to use all of the 146 gigs?


    Brew
    connect 146GB to a SATA port of your MOBO, make sure it;s AHCI.
    Go to Disk Manager - expand the partition to use al of unused space
    Done!

    What happens when I put it back into server and boot? will the raid see it as a 146 gig drive?
  4. RAID 1 - what size is each drive in the array?

    The new drives are 146gigs. When I boot into server 2003 the "C" drive is still 73gigs even thought the drive are 146gigs.
  5. Quote:


    What happens when I put it back into server and boot? will the raid see it as a 146 gig drive?



    Yes ! the RAID will see 146GB volume
  6. Quote:


    What happens when I put it back into server and boot? will the raid see it as a 146 gig drive?



    Yes ! the RAID will see 146GB volume

    Will it rebuild the second drive ? Or, do I need to extend the partition on it also?
  7. Best answer
    The Brew said:


    What happens when I put it back into server and boot? will the raid see it as a 146 gig drive?



    Yes ! the RAID will see 146GB volume

    Will it rebuild the second drive ? Or, do I need to extend the partition on it also?

    It should rebuilt the with the 2nd drive...
    but to make sure, use "diskpart" to clean the 2nd HDD before let it rebuilt
Ask a new question

Read More

NAS / RAID Storage Hard Drives Servers