Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

First ever PC build - Looking for confirmation and advice

Last response: in Systems
Share
October 8, 2013 1:21:13 PM

Hey all, this is my first build, and I was hoping you guys could give me some advice. I'll be using this system mostly for gaming, with a little bit of streaming added in; League of Legends or CS:GO for now, maybe Skyrim, and The Elder Scrolls Online come this next Spring. I know that an i5 will get me through most games, but I've read many forum posts saying that, for streaming, the load can get a little bit intensive for an i5, and I know nothing about overclocking, so I figured I would just get the i7, and learn how to overclock from there if I ever need it (hopefully not). I picked out the Radeon HD 7970 for my GPU, and from these two, I searched and found this:

https://www.vibox.co.uk/vibox-shuriken

Intel Core i7 4770K 4-Core Haswell CPU @ 4.4GHz

Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H Motherboard - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CU4L4NQ/?tag=pcpapi-20

XFX AMD Radeon HD 7970 3GB Graphics Card - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

120GB Kingston SSDNow V300 Solid State Drive
16GB Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz Gaming RAM
Cooler Master CM 690 II Advanced Case (White Edition)
Corsair Hydro H80i Water CPU Cooler
XFX Pro Series 750W 80+ Bronze Semi Modular PSU - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

24x DVD-RW Optical Drive

Added by me - WD Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM HD

I was mainly looking up a build because I have no idea how to pick out a motherboard from these two components, and I didn't want to get a motherboard that didn't work for me, or a PSU with much too much/too little power. However, I am going to forgo the SSD for now (monetary restrictions), and I hear that more than 8GB of RAM is unnecessary, so I was planning on getting only 8GB. I also was curious if 1600 or 1866 MHz make much difference; if I am only going to get 8GB, should I definitely go for the 1866? Other than that, I was just wondering if the 7970 Sapphire would work just as well as the XFX, because I hear that the XFX has some sketchy components, despite the lifetime warranty. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
I had originally picked this part out for the build, so I am kind of partial to it, but if it doesn't work with the motherboard, or people strongly advise against it, I can go with the XFX. Last but not least, if anyone thinks that the i7 is overkill for what I need it for, please let me know.

Sorry about the wall of text, and let me know if there is anything I can be more specific about! Thank you guys so much for any and all help and advice!
a b 4 Gaming
a c 136 B Homebuilt system
October 8, 2013 2:19:43 PM

The water cooler is not better than a good air cooler and costs a lot more .

RAM speed wont make a noticeable difference . You only need 8 gig [ in a 2 x4 gig kit ] . Make sure its rated 1.5 volts or less.

I would hold off on the graphics card . AMD are updating very soon
m
0
l
October 8, 2013 2:27:31 PM

Alright, so forgo the water cooler, and stick with the 8GB of the 1600MHz. The problem with the GPU is that I have no computer at the moment, so I've been borrowing and using the public library for internet access. I'd like to build a system soon, and I feel like the price of the new AMD cards is going to be quite a lot higher than the one I am planning on getting ($280). Would the 7970 not be enough to last me a couple of years at least?
m
0
l
Related resources
a b 4 Gaming
a c 136 B Homebuilt system
October 8, 2013 2:40:05 PM

There is an article on the toms hoe page about the new cards
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b B Homebuilt system
October 8, 2013 3:00:16 PM

Gribnaak said:
Alright, so forgo the water cooler, and stick with the 8GB of the 1600MHz. The problem with the GPU is that I have no computer at the moment, so I've been borrowing and using the public library for internet access. I'd like to build a system soon, and I feel like the price of the new AMD cards is going to be quite a lot higher than the one I am planning on getting ($280). Would the 7970 not be enough to last me a couple of years at least?

What is your main purpose to build this rig.
1.High end core using 3D modeling (Adobe ,Maya,etc.) and Video rendering.
2.High or middle End Gmaing.
3.Normal daily work normal gaming and watching movies and all that.
4.What is your budge.

m
0
l
October 8, 2013 3:03:25 PM

According to the article, the new GPUs will be provide slightly less FPS in modern games than a Radeon HD Ghz Edition, which I understand to be a factory-overclocked version of the regular HD 7970. Provided that if I need to, I can overclock my card myself, the Sapphire I am looking at is $280, which is $20 less than what the article speculates the best contender (780x) from the new card line will cost. Most importantly, I can get the Sapphire immediately, which is a big factor. I think I'll stick with the 7970, but thank you for the notification of the new cards! I'm glad that I could get more comparisons. Is there anything else you would recommend changing for this build? And have you any thoughts on i5 vs i7 or Sapphire vs XFX for the build? Thanks again for your help.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b B Homebuilt system
October 8, 2013 3:23:11 PM

Gribnaak said:
According to the article, the new GPUs will be provide slightly less FPS in modern games than a Radeon HD Ghz Edition, which I understand to be a factory-overclocked version of the regular HD 7970. Provided that if I need to, I can overclock my card myself, the Sapphire I am looking at is $280, which is $20 less than what the article speculates the best contender (780x) from the new card line will cost. Most importantly, I can get the Sapphire immediately, which is a big factor. I think I'll stick with the 7970, but thank you for the notification of the new cards! I'm glad that I could get more comparisons. Is there anything else you would recommend changing for this build? And have you any thoughts on i5 vs i7 or Sapphire vs XFX for the build? Thanks again for your help.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... Core i7 for high end heaving core using applications work(overclocking YES)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... Core i5 for gaming and normal work.(overclocking Yes.)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... GPU
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... Mobo
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... Casing
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... Ram
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... PSU
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... CPU Cooler.
HDD or SSD your Call :D 

m
0
l
October 8, 2013 3:36:17 PM

Sorry Alpha, I missed your response that last time. I am going to be using this mostly for high-end gaming, and wanting it to handle titles at high/ultra for newish things, and hopefully at least medium/high for years to come. I also want to do a bit of streaming with said games, which is why I picked out the i7 rather than an i5. I am rather partial to the 7970, as mentioned before, so if you have any recommendations between XFX or Sapphire or Gigabyte versions of those, I would rather have those than the 760; most of the benchmarks and comparisons I've seen show the 7970 well ahead for only $20 more or so. I'm mostly concerned with having a motherboard that fits the i7 and 7970, as well as having ample wattage. The budget is around $1100-$1250 or so. Thanks for your help!
m
0
l
October 8, 2013 7:02:41 PM

The i7 would be more than enough even when not overclocking
The cooler is unnecessary, get a good fan or even stock would probably be fine
Ive had good experience with sapphire, xfx i hear has had problems with their materials
go with alpha black's mobo, but keep everything else besides those
also make sure that your HD has the same slots as your case. those are all my thougts
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b B Homebuilt system
October 9, 2013 4:57:53 PM

Gribnaak said:
Sorry Alpha, I missed your response that last time. I am going to be using this mostly for high-end gaming, and wanting it to handle titles at high/ultra for newish things, and hopefully at least medium/high for years to come. I also want to do a bit of streaming with said games, which is why I picked out the i7 rather than an i5. I am rather partial to the 7970, as mentioned before, so if you have any recommendations between XFX or Sapphire or Gigabyte versions of those, I would rather have those than the 760; most of the benchmarks and comparisons I've seen show the 7970 well ahead for only $20 more or so. I'm mostly concerned with having a motherboard that fits the i7 and 7970, as well as having ample wattage. The budget is around $1100-$1250 or so. Thanks for your help!


sorry for Late reply bro. i was offline
i think this will help you better now. i can't give you more better under your budget.
Check link plz
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1N55i
don't be deceived by this SSD thing its a hype created by companies. 7200 rpm is enough for every thing trust me.:)  And try your best to run a GPU on the same company's motherboard and always put power where rig need it never waste money on no productive parts
Always remember to select the best Answer ;) 
That will mark post as solved and that will help other people to make a quick decision :) 
m
0
l
October 10, 2013 1:54:46 PM

Alpha-Black said:
Gribnaak said:
Sorry Alpha, I missed your response that last time. I am going to be using this mostly for high-end gaming, and wanting it to handle titles at high/ultra for newish things, and hopefully at least medium/high for years to come. I also want to do a bit of streaming with said games, which is why I picked out the i7 rather than an i5. I am rather partial to the 7970, as mentioned before, so if you have any recommendations between XFX or Sapphire or Gigabyte versions of those, I would rather have those than the 760; most of the benchmarks and comparisons I've seen show the 7970 well ahead for only $20 more or so. I'm mostly concerned with having a motherboard that fits the i7 and 7970, as well as having ample wattage. The budget is around $1100-$1250 or so. Thanks for your help!


sorry for Late reply bro. i was offline
i think this will help you better now. i can't give you more better under your budget.
Check link plz
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1N55i
don't be deceived by this SSD thing its a hype created by companies. 7200 rpm is enough for every thing trust me.:)  And try your best to run a GPU on the same company's motherboard and always put power where rig need it never waste money on no productive parts
Always remember to select the best Answer ;) 
That will mark post as solved and that will help other people to make a quick decision :) 


Thanks again for your help! I like what you've done to the thing. I took out the CPU cooler and I'm planning on replacing it with a ~$30 or so air cooler, because I don't really plan on overclocking. Due to that, I also downgraded from the 4770K to the 4770, which saved me a couple of bucks, and I hear that the K "cripples" the CPU purely so that it becomes unlocked. I also changed from the mini board to the full size board.
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1Nci4
Other than that, I just changed from Seagate to WD, and I changed the Vengeance RAM to a 1.5V version of it, as suggested earlier and by partpicker. Do all of these sound reasonable? It brings it down to about $1050, which is awesome. Is there any reason you had a Seagate drive instead of a WD? I just know that WD has a really good reputation and I haven't heard much about Seagate. I think we're getting close to a solution. Much appreciated!
m
0
l

Best solution

a b 4 Gaming
a b B Homebuilt system
October 10, 2013 2:39:13 PM

Gribnaak said:
Alpha-Black said:
Gribnaak said:
Sorry Alpha, I missed your response that last time. I am going to be using this mostly for high-end gaming, and wanting it to handle titles at high/ultra for newish things, and hopefully at least medium/high for years to come. I also want to do a bit of streaming with said games, which is why I picked out the i7 rather than an i5. I am rather partial to the 7970, as mentioned before, so if you have any recommendations between XFX or Sapphire or Gigabyte versions of those, I would rather have those than the 760; most of the benchmarks and comparisons I've seen show the 7970 well ahead for only $20 more or so. I'm mostly concerned with having a motherboard that fits the i7 and 7970, as well as having ample wattage. The budget is around $1100-$1250 or so. Thanks for your help!


sorry for Late reply bro. i was offline
i think this will help you better now. i can't give you more better under your budget.
Check link plz
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1N55i
don't be deceived by this SSD thing its a hype created by companies. 7200 rpm is enough for every thing trust me.:)  And try your best to run a GPU on the same company's motherboard and always put power where rig need it never waste money on no productive parts
Always remember to select the best Answer ;) 
That will mark post as solved and that will help other people to make a quick decision :) 


Thanks again for your help! I like what you've done to the thing. I took out the CPU cooler and I'm planning on replacing it with a ~$30 or so air cooler, because I don't really plan on overclocking. Due to that, I also downgraded from the 4770K to the 4770, which saved me a couple of bucks, and I hear that the K "cripples" the CPU purely so that it becomes unlocked. I also changed from the mini board to the full size board.
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1Nci4
Other than that, I just changed from Seagate to WD, and I changed the Vengeance RAM to a 1.5V version of it, as suggested earlier and by partpicker. Do all of these sound reasonable? It brings it down to about $1050, which is awesome. Is there any reason you had a Seagate drive instead of a WD? I just know that WD has a really good reputation and I haven't heard much about Seagate. I think we're getting close to a solution. Much appreciated!

Technically leaving the k factor back is a very good decision if your not overclocking and in my view if you have a i7 moreover a 4th Gen.then WHY OVERCLOCKING !!!!! overclocked i5 or i3 make sense but overclocked i7???? i don't know why people do this to a i7 kind of beast.i have a 3rd gen .K one but never overclocked it coz i never need it:D 
1.WD is fine but its also a hype in north America and Europe created by company....but they are also making good ones.Choice is urs
woho.......you don't know Seagate ??????? the first ever company who build a stand alone hard drive ,first ever build a SCSI hard ,first ever build a ATA drive with 3600 rmp frist ever build a 5400 rpm laptop drive,first ever build a 7200 rmp ATA and SATA barracuda drive and first ever build a SATA 10000 rpm drive , Seagate has a very long record of excellence.Trust me they are still rulers in this thing i'm not sure but i think seagate introduced SSD tech in market .
2. with 4th gen. and high end gaming.....plz don't compromise on CPU Cooler and Ram also. make it 16 gb and atleast by H80i or a coolermaster V6 GT if your really up to a air cooler but i strongly suggest a liquid cooler for this CPU and for high end gaming and PSU 750 watts? why its a overkill save money for productive parts 600 watts are more then enough.
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1NdDV Check this Plz

Share
October 10, 2013 4:32:03 PM

Alpha-Black said:
Gribnaak said:
Alpha-Black said:
Gribnaak said:
Sorry Alpha, I missed your response that last time. I am going to be using this mostly for high-end gaming, and wanting it to handle titles at high/ultra for newish things, and hopefully at least medium/high for years to come. I also want to do a bit of streaming with said games, which is why I picked out the i7 rather than an i5. I am rather partial to the 7970, as mentioned before, so if you have any recommendations between XFX or Sapphire or Gigabyte versions of those, I would rather have those than the 760; most of the benchmarks and comparisons I've seen show the 7970 well ahead for only $20 more or so. I'm mostly concerned with having a motherboard that fits the i7 and 7970, as well as having ample wattage. The budget is around $1100-$1250 or so. Thanks for your help!


sorry for Late reply bro. i was offline
i think this will help you better now. i can't give you more better under your budget.
Check link plz
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1N55i
don't be deceived by this SSD thing its a hype created by companies. 7200 rpm is enough for every thing trust me.:)  And try your best to run a GPU on the same company's motherboard and always put power where rig need it never waste money on no productive parts
Always remember to select the best Answer ;) 
That will mark post as solved and that will help other people to make a quick decision :) 


Thanks again for your help! I like what you've done to the thing. I took out the CPU cooler and I'm planning on replacing it with a ~$30 or so air cooler, because I don't really plan on overclocking. Due to that, I also downgraded from the 4770K to the 4770, which saved me a couple of bucks, and I hear that the K "cripples" the CPU purely so that it becomes unlocked. I also changed from the mini board to the full size board.
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1Nci4
Other than that, I just changed from Seagate to WD, and I changed the Vengeance RAM to a 1.5V version of it, as suggested earlier and by partpicker. Do all of these sound reasonable? It brings it down to about $1050, which is awesome. Is there any reason you had a Seagate drive instead of a WD? I just know that WD has a really good reputation and I haven't heard much about Seagate. I think we're getting close to a solution. Much appreciated!

Technically leaving the k factor back is a very good decision if your not overclocking and in my view if you have a i7 moreover a 4th Gen.then WHY OVERCLOCKING !!!!! overclocked i5 or i3 make sense but overclocked i7???? i don't know why people do this to a i7 kind of beast.i have a 3rd gen .K one but never overclocked it coz i never need it:D 
1.WD is fine but its also a hype in north America and Europe created by company....but they are also making good ones.Choice is urs
woho.......you don't know Seagate ??????? the first ever company who build a stand alone hard drive ,first ever build a SCSI hard ,first ever build a ATA drive with 3600 rmp frist ever build a 5400 rpm laptop drive,first ever build a 7200 rmp ATA and SATA barracuda drive and first ever build a SATA 10000 rpm drive , Seagate has a very long record of excellence.Trust me they are still rulers in this thing i'm not sure but i think seagate introduced SSD tech in market .
2. with 4th gen. and high end gaming.....plz don't compromise on CPU Cooler and Ram also. make it 16 gb and atleast by H80i or a coolermaster V6 GT if your really up to a air cooler but i strongly suggest a liquid cooler for this CPU and for high end gaming and PSU 750 watts? why its a overkill save money for productive parts 600 watts are more then enough.
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1NdDV Check this Plz



I like it! I only kept the 750W PSU is because that is the one you had originally linked. Does high-end gaming/streaming put enough stress on the CPU to cause it to need a water cooler? Or is is just a good idea to have one to be safe? Thanks for including an air cooler though, I was struggling to find one :D  Everything looks great! Thank you so much for being so helpful and guiding me through my first buy, Alpha and everyone else!
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b B Homebuilt system
October 11, 2013 2:09:28 AM

Gribnaak said:
Alpha-Black said:
Gribnaak said:
Alpha-Black said:
Gribnaak said:
Sorry Alpha, I missed your response that last time. I am going to be using this mostly for high-end gaming, and wanting it to handle titles at high/ultra for newish things, and hopefully at least medium/high for years to come. I also want to do a bit of streaming with said games, which is why I picked out the i7 rather than an i5. I am rather partial to the 7970, as mentioned before, so if you have any recommendations between XFX or Sapphire or Gigabyte versions of those, I would rather have those than the 760; most of the benchmarks and comparisons I've seen show the 7970 well ahead for only $20 more or so. I'm mostly concerned with having a motherboard that fits the i7 and 7970, as well as having ample wattage. The budget is around $1100-$1250 or so. Thanks for your help!


sorry for Late reply bro. i was offline
i think this will help you better now. i can't give you more better under your budget.
Check link plz
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1N55i
don't be deceived by this SSD thing its a hype created by companies. 7200 rpm is enough for every thing trust me.:)  And try your best to run a GPU on the same company's motherboard and always put power where rig need it never waste money on no productive parts
Always remember to select the best Answer ;) 
That will mark post as solved and that will help other people to make a quick decision :) 


Thanks again for your help! I like what you've done to the thing. I took out the CPU cooler and I'm planning on replacing it with a ~$30 or so air cooler, because I don't really plan on overclocking. Due to that, I also downgraded from the 4770K to the 4770, which saved me a couple of bucks, and I hear that the K "cripples" the CPU purely so that it becomes unlocked. I also changed from the mini board to the full size board.
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1Nci4
Other than that, I just changed from Seagate to WD, and I changed the Vengeance RAM to a 1.5V version of it, as suggested earlier and by partpicker. Do all of these sound reasonable? It brings it down to about $1050, which is awesome. Is there any reason you had a Seagate drive instead of a WD? I just know that WD has a really good reputation and I haven't heard much about Seagate. I think we're getting close to a solution. Much appreciated!

Technically leaving the k factor back is a very good decision if your not overclocking and in my view if you have a i7 moreover a 4th Gen.then WHY OVERCLOCKING !!!!! overclocked i5 or i3 make sense but overclocked i7???? i don't know why people do this to a i7 kind of beast.i have a 3rd gen .K one but never overclocked it coz i never need it:D 
1.WD is fine but its also a hype in north America and Europe created by company....but they are also making good ones.Choice is urs
woho.......you don't know Seagate ??????? the first ever company who build a stand alone hard drive ,first ever build a SCSI hard ,first ever build a ATA drive with 3600 rmp frist ever build a 5400 rpm laptop drive,first ever build a 7200 rmp ATA and SATA barracuda drive and first ever build a SATA 10000 rpm drive , Seagate has a very long record of excellence.Trust me they are still rulers in this thing i'm not sure but i think seagate introduced SSD tech in market .
2. with 4th gen. and high end gaming.....plz don't compromise on CPU Cooler and Ram also. make it 16 gb and atleast by H80i or a coolermaster V6 GT if your really up to a air cooler but i strongly suggest a liquid cooler for this CPU and for high end gaming and PSU 750 watts? why its a overkill save money for productive parts 600 watts are more then enough.
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1NdDV Check this Plz



I like it! I only kept the 750W PSU is because that is the one you had originally linked. Does high-end gaming/streaming put enough stress on the CPU to cause it to need a water cooler? Or is is just a good idea to have one to be safe? Thanks for including an air cooler though, I was struggling to find one :D  Everything looks great! Thank you so much for being so helpful and guiding me through my first buy, Alpha and everyone else!

Your most welcome bro all of us are here to help each other.this is your first build but soon you will be helping others like me too :D  and water cooler i suggested coz when you game for more then 4 hours straight or when you stress test your rig that will level out your temps on a specific end and then you will be worry less during your fun.
second CPU is the main part producing heat inside a case an air cooler is good but you know that will leave some hot air inside the case and heat sink will be a hotter one to inside the case so heat increases a water cooler pump is way way less hotter you can say a cooler one coz it already contains water or coolant inside it and all the heat will be pulled out through radiator straight out of the case without effecting other components inside the case and pulling air through radiator inside a case from top vent as C70 has the place for H100i on top will be very helpful to cool down motherboard and ram also and your GPU will thank you for that as well :D  decreasing heat inside a case is a life giving thing to all the parts inside a case .think of a car engine having a radiator or having a fan only.
PSU 750watts is a future investment and i think your right on this thing but remember to chose a PSU having builtin "Corsair Link" insist on that. that is very uniqe and very helpful feature Corsair introduced in market :D 
If i do a build this will be the one.
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1Np4I

This article will help you choosing a CPU cooler and also help to know about heat and head sinks and water blocks
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/thermal-paste-heat-...
Thanks for selecting the best answer :D 
m
0
l
!