Solved

Problem creating Fedora 13 virtual machine on VM Ware Workstation 10

I'm trying to create a virtual machine of Fedora 13 on VM Ware Workstation 10 but it keeps sitting at this screen:
http://imgur.com/lg0jRkH

I let it sit there forever and it doesn't do anything. I created a Windows 7 virtual machine just fine. Bot VM's have 30GB of storage and 2GB of memory. Any help would be extremely appreciated. Thank you.
13 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about problem creating fedora virtual machine ware workstation
  1. That's a kernel panic (crashed kernel). Try a different version.
  2. ex_bubblehead said:
    That's a kernel panic (crashed kernel). Try a different version.


    a different version of vmware or fedora?
  3. Check your VM' processor settings. On VirtualBox, new Linux kernels require "PAE/NX" setting to be enabled, I suppose there's something similar in VMWare.
  4. Skitsofrantik said:
    ex_bubblehead said:
    That's a kernel panic (crashed kernel). Try a different version.


    a different version of vmware or fedora?


    I'd be trying a newer version of Fedora. Fedora 13 is ancient.
  5. ex_bubblehead said:
    Skitsofrantik said:
    ex_bubblehead said:
    That's a kernel panic (crashed kernel). Try a different version.


    a different version of vmware or fedora?


    I'd be trying a newer version of Fedora. Fedora 13 is ancient.


    I can't use a different fedora, it has to be 13. I'm using this for a college course and we have to use 13.
  6. Someone has created VM appliance (ready-made virtual machine) with Fedora 13. Download it and try it, and if it works - see how it is configured.
    https://solutionexchange.vmware.com/store/products/fedora-13-lean-desktop#.UlS3W1NaZQs
  7. Alabalcho said:
    Someone has created VM appliance (ready-made virtual machine) with Fedora 13. Download it and try it, and if it works - see how it is configured.
    https://solutionexchange.vmware.com/store/products/fedora-13-lean-desktop#.UlS3W1NaZQs


    I get stuck on the same screen using the appliance your link sent me to.
  8. It looks like I got the assignment, not you...

    Oracle' VirtualBox cannot import VmWare appliances, but I was able to create new VirtualBox VM with 512mb RAM, using existing disk images from this Fedora Appliance, and booted to the desktop. Now, someone has to read what is the password, but this won't be me ;)
  9. Alabalcho said:
    It looks like I got the assignment, not you...

    Oracle' VirtualBox cannot import VmWare appliances, but I was able to create new VirtualBox VM with 512mb RAM, using existing disk images from this Fedora Appliance, and booted to the desktop. Now, someone has to read what is the password, but this won't be me ;)

    If you create an OVF format appliance it can.
  10. I still can't figure it out. Does anyone has any clue as to why this is happening? Why does the Windows 7 VM install and operate no problem?
  11. Ok, so I decided to try fedora 19 and see if I get any better results. Sadly, the same kernel problem but I was able to get a bug number. Fedora 19 let me look up the bug right there when it said there was a known kernel problem. This is the bug report:
    https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=972538

    The problem now is I can't find any way to fix it. Any help? Thanks.
  12. Best answer
    Short of switching to a host machine with an Intel processor there's nothing you can do. This has to be fixed by the Fedora crew. I also wouldn't be expecting them to backport any fixes all the way back to v13.
  13. ex_bubblehead said:
    Short of switching to a host machine with an Intel processor there's nothing you can do. This has to be fixed by the Fedora crew. I also wouldn't be expecting them to backport any fixes all the way back to v13.


    so there is no way the vm will work? that sucks but at least i got an answer thankyou.
Ask a new question

Read More

Virtual Machine Workstations Fedora