Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Please review my $1000 - $1100 PC build, open to suggestions.

Last response: in Systems
Share
October 9, 2013 3:18:42 AM

Anything I should change before going forward with this?
Any alternatives?

The total is $800 + I'll probably add the AMD R9 280X in a few days, for ~$300

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4570 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($33.24 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus B85M-G Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($77.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($79.20 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($93.29 @ Amazon)
Case: Corsair 350D Window MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($104.99 @ Amazon)
Case Fan: Corsair Air Series AF120 Quiet Edition (2-Pack) 39.9 CFM 120mm Fans ($27.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic G 550W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($84.99 @ Amazon)
Other: Silverstone Tek Sleeved PWM Fan Splitter Cable ($3.99 @ amazon)
Other: Zalman ZM-MC1 Multi-connector PS to Add Fan ($5.18 @ amazon)
Total: $800.84
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-10-09 06:16 EDT-0400)
October 9, 2013 3:32:36 AM

Looks alright, I don't think you need the CPU cooler on a non overclockable CPU though, the stock cooler would be fine. If you wanted to pay extra it wouldn't hurt though.
m
0
l

Best solution

October 9, 2013 3:41:23 AM

Looks great, and since your not into overclocking, that Mobo is ok but why get an Hyper 212 if your not overclocking? have you seen the benchmarks with the R9 280X? am also waiting to upgrade to it but it seems the 7970 (GHZ Edition) is performing better than it. don't get me wrong it still a great GPU considering the 7970 GHZ starts at $370 and who knows, maybe driver updates will make it better. here is the link
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-r9-280x-r9-2...
Share
Related resources
October 9, 2013 3:57:16 AM

FastGunna said:
Looks alright, I don't think you need the CPU cooler on a non overclockable CPU though, the stock cooler would be fine. If you wanted to pay extra it wouldn't hurt though.


I really want my PC to be quiet, would it be better to use that $35 to get a 4670 or a better motherboard like a h87?

1.They say that 4670 is not worth the $30 bump.

2.Also, few reviews say that the quality between the b85 and h87 mATX boards are pretty similar, with the difference being just adding a VRM heatsink, but quality of other components remaining same.
m
0
l
October 9, 2013 4:02:03 AM

ifreestylin said:
Looks great, and since your not into overclocking, that Mobo is ok but why get an Hyper 212 if your not overclocking? have you seen the benchmarks with the R9 280X? am also waiting to upgrade to it but it seems the 7970 (GHZ Edition) is performing better than it. don't get me wrong it still a great GPU considering the 7970 GHZ starts at $370 and who knows, maybe driver updates will make it better. here is the link
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-r9-280x-r9-2...


almost all the 7970ghz versions are around $400, I was looking for a gtx760 but after looking at the benchmarks I've decided to get the 280x.

This is what I can spend, and would pay more only for something really worth, do you think $50 more for the 7970ghz over the 280x is justified?

m
0
l
October 9, 2013 4:20:13 AM

Most people will say that GHz edition isn't worth the price increase. If you wanted to get the 212 evo for noise reduction than go for it. I was just saying a stock cooler is enough to cool a non oc CPU.
m
0
l
October 9, 2013 4:37:54 AM

rattlehead2112 said:
ifreestylin said:
Looks great, and since your not into overclocking, that Mobo is ok but why get an Hyper 212 if your not overclocking? have you seen the benchmarks with the R9 280X? am also waiting to upgrade to it but it seems the 7970 (GHZ Edition) is performing better than it. don't get me wrong it still a great GPU considering the 7970 GHZ starts at $370 and who knows, maybe driver updates will make it better. here is the link
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-r9-280x-r9-2...


almost all the 7970ghz versions are around $400, I was looking for a gtx760 but after looking at the benchmarks I've decided to get the 280x.

This is what I can spend, and would pay more only for something really worth, do you think $50 more for the 7970ghz over the 280x is justified?



Stay with the R9-280X. If your into OC GPU you can easily surpass the 7970 GHZ.
m
0
l
October 9, 2013 7:07:32 AM

FastGunna said:
Most people will say that GHz edition isn't worth the price increase. If you wanted to get the 212 evo for noise reduction than go for it. I was just saying a stock cooler is enough to cool a non oc CPU.


Seems the haswell cooler is pretty darn silent, I'll just save those few bucks
m
0
l
October 9, 2013 7:48:34 AM

any other alternative for the fan cables?
my motherboard has only one cha_fan
m
0
l
October 9, 2013 2:31:11 PM

I have never used more fans then i had headers on the motherboard, sorry cant help you.
m
0
l
October 9, 2013 8:06:15 PM

rattlehead2112 said:

Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($79.20 @ Amazon)


Its now increased by $15-$20 guys, any other alternatives?
m
0
l
!