FX-6300 high cpu temp causing stress test to abort

ankken

Honorable
Oct 9, 2013
Hello I'm an absolute beginner to overclocking. I've been using this guide (http://www.overclock.net/t/1348623/amd-bulldozer-and-piledriver-overclocking-guide-asus-motherboard) to get started.

Following the guide it told me to start with the stock voltage, I wasn't sure where to see this so I set it at 1.3V @ 4.2ghz. Run prime95 and got an error on core1. Put voltage to 1.325V and prime95 passed 6 tests (wasn't sure how long to let it run).

What I've noticed is that the cpu temperature seems to be going much higher than the core temperature. When running prime95 core temp was 53C max while cpu temp was around 65C. I read around online and most people were telling to ignore cpu temp and focus on core temp.

Anyway I started a test on OCCT and cpu temp went to 66C and the test was aborted. Is it normal that the cpu temp goes this high, and is much higher than the core temp?

Just did a quick look around and saw that for your CPU 62 degrees Celsius is probably the max temp you want to reach. If your still using the stock cooler you will want to replace that immediately, I never recommend over clocking without that essential component.

Raising the voltage in the bios will increase the heat generated, so what you want to do is increase the multiplier so your core clock is where you want it to be and run your benchmarking software. If you get blue screens you want to bump up the core voltage slowly until it becomes stable, all the while monitoring temperatures making sure you never exceed your threshold. If you can't become stable without increasing your temperature safely back down your multiplier.

Just remember not all chips are created equal and you may have one that over clocks easy or doesn't. Keep your system dust free and tuck your cables away so the air doesn't get blocked.

ankken

Honorable
Oct 9, 2013
Yeah but the question is do they mean the core temp or cpu temp when they say 62 degrees is max temp recommended? I've got CM hyper 212+ as my cooler so I'm doubting the 66C temp is accurate?

ankken

Honorable
Oct 9, 2013
I'm using HWmonitor and Core Temp (not simultaneously). HWmonitor has two temperatures displayed, CPU and Package (= Core), Core Temp shows only one temperature that's about the same as the Package temperature showed on HWmonitor. The temperature displayed in Core Temp never went higher than 53C, but OCCT seems to use the CPU temp to decide when to abort the test.

BTW one thing I'm confused with Core Temp is that it doesn't show temps for individual cores. I think I remember reading that this is normal for Piledriver processors because they only have one sensor in the cpu, is this correct?

EDIT: from what I understand core temperature uses a sensor in the CPU itself while the CPU temp sensor is on/near the motherboard CPU socket. But why would the temperatures be so different?

ankken

Honorable
Oct 9, 2013
So my guess is one of the temp values is incorrect? Because how can the CPU itself be at 53C when the "socket" is at 66C? To me 53C sounds more realistic considering the level of OC and Hyper 212+ cooler.