Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Phenom II X4 955 BE C2 to 4Ghz

Last response: in CPUs
Share
October 9, 2013 9:11:47 AM

Is it possible?

My CPU: http://products.amd.com/en-us/DesktopCPUDetail.aspx?id=...

Right now, I'm running @ 3.9 Ghz at 1.5v and I don't think it's stable.

Can I raise the voltage more? Is that not safe? I have a corsair h50 and temps seem low.

http://i.imgur.com/nyhPaj1.png

Thanks,

Syn

More about : phenom 955 4ghz

a b à CPUs
October 9, 2013 9:16:11 AM

If your computer is restarting after a few minutes, you have an issue that needs to be dealt with. Going to 4Ghz is not going to help anything. From your post, it seems that it isn't a thermal issue, so much be something in the settings you have made to get to 3.9Ghz.
m
0
l
October 9, 2013 9:18:01 AM

coastie65 said:
If your computer is restarting after a few minutes, you have an issue that needs to be dealt with. Going to 4Ghz is not going to help anything. From your post, it seems that it isn't a thermal issue, so much be something in the settings you have made to get to 3.9Ghz.


Sorry, it wasn't restarting after a few minutes from the OC. It was just an update. I left the room and came back and just assumed it froze.
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 176 à CPUs
October 9, 2013 9:46:22 AM

run prime95 and see if it crashes or blue screens. generally with the PhII Denebs you can get them up to 1.55V (i wouldn't suggest higher) without serious risk. your big concern is heat. my deneb really gets hot over 1.45V, most do. if you can't run prime95 for a few hours you're not stable. if your temps spike over 62C during a prime run your cooling isn't adequate for your overclock.

understand, with the deneb, the cooler you can keep the chip the lower the vcore you need for any given overclock. this is a very sensitive cpu to temps. My deneb is stable up to 58C, i can run prime all day if i want. but if i get my room hot enough, and here in phoenix just turning off the ac will do this durring the summer (40C ambient? yeah... can't run prime without ac in the summer here), my chip will hit 58C and it will crash or lock up. (usually inside of seconds)

Also understand that denebs don't overclock linearly. there comes a point you get diminishing returns from your overclock. with a 955 i'm pretty sure that point is somewhere around 3.6ghz... once you kick it over that point, you get drastically reduced performance gains from the clock bumps. for the 965 that point is somewhere around 3.8ghz... when you get past those "sweet spots" you gain more performance boosts from overclocking your northbridge and ram... tightening the ram timings or something, then you do from higher clock speeds. I know i saw very little improvement in my benching results with clock speeds over 3.8, but when i tightened up the ram timings and increased the nb frequency i saw almost x3 the gain i got from the jump from 3.8ghz to 4.0ghz. in short it was much more efficient to keep my chip at 3.8ghz and boost the northbridge and ram as much as i could, then it was to stretch out the cpu frequency and pour power down it's throat.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
October 10, 2013 10:14:36 AM

C2 stepping hits a wall pretty quickly. I have the same CPU as you and it tops out at 3.6 Ghz @ 1.4v. I've tried 3.7 Ghz with voltage all the way up to 1.55v and it refuses to be stable. They just don't OC like the C3 stepping.
m
0
l
October 10, 2013 10:37:52 AM

jeffredo said:
C2 stepping hits a wall pretty quickly. I have the same CPU as you and it tops out at 3.6 Ghz @ 1.4v. I've tried 3.7 Ghz with voltage all the way up to 1.55v and it refuses to be stable. They just don't OC like the C3 stepping.


Thanks for the reply.

In my bios, should I just set the multiplier to achieve 3.6 Ghz and put the voltage to 1.4, and try to get that stable? Do I just leave thingsl ike CPU/NB and Ht Link Speed alone?

Here's what my bios looks like:

m
0
l

Best solution

a c 176 à CPUs
October 10, 2013 12:23:12 PM

no.. that's not how you overclock. you don't just set voltages and multipliers randomly.

up your multiplier by +0.5 restart the machine and see if you load into windows. if you do, up your multiplier by another +0.5... keep upping the multiplier until you fail to post or load into windows. if you fail to post don't worry. after 3 failed posts your bios will automatically reset to base settings. if that doesn't happen just clr_cmos. now we add vcore by .0125V increments. restart and see if windows will load. if it won't bump the vcore another .0125V, once you're able to play around in windows you'll need to get prime95 and coretemp or hwmonitor

run prime95... keep a close eye on your cpu temps. Deneb cpus hit their thermal ceiling somewhere between 58C and 63C... mine actually hits it's ceiling exactly at 58C... as long as your cpu temps are alight, (not in the high 50s) you still have room to bump your vcore. prime95 will probably crash back to the desktop, prompt a blue screen or black screen restart. Blue screens usually mean ram/northbridge issues... not always though... simply bad voltage from your cpu can cause a blue screen so don't start playing with ram yet. Black screen restarts (it just straight resets) or programs crashing to desktop, or the computer just locking up usually mean your cpu is undervolted. keep bumping vcore by .0125V increments, keep a tight eye on the cpu temps. if you stabilize the system for a few passes in prime95 and aren't at your thermal limits or your desired overclock... bump your multiplier by another +0.5, see if you can get it to stabilize in prime95 with safe temps for a few passes (with whatever vcore bump you might need), and then move to the next +0.5 multiplier bump. when you've reached your desired clock speed you're going to run prime for a few hours (anything that can run prime for 8 hours without overheating or crashing is pretty much rock solid).

Share
October 10, 2013 2:30:39 PM

ingtar33 said:
no.. that's not how you overclock. you don't just set voltages and multipliers randomly.

up your multiplier by +0.5 restart the machine and see if you load into windows. if you do, up your multiplier by another +0.5... keep upping the multiplier until you fail to post or load into windows. if you fail to post don't worry. after 3 failed posts your bios will automatically reset to base settings. if that doesn't happen just clr_cmos. now we add vcore by .0125V increments. restart and see if windows will load. if it won't bump the vcore another .0125V, once you're able to play around in windows you'll need to get prime95 and coretemp or hwmonitor

run prime95... keep a close eye on your cpu temps. Deneb cpus hit their thermal ceiling somewhere between 58C and 63C... mine actually hits it's ceiling exactly at 58C... as long as your cpu temps are alight, (not in the high 50s) you still have room to bump your vcore. prime95 will probably crash back to the desktop, prompt a blue screen or black screen restart. Blue screens usually mean ram/northbridge issues... not always though... simply bad voltage from your cpu can cause a blue screen so don't start playing with ram yet. Black screen restarts (it just straight resets) or programs crashing to desktop, or the computer just locking up usually mean your cpu is undervolted. keep bumping vcore by .0125V increments, keep a tight eye on the cpu temps. if you stabilize the system for a few passes in prime95 and aren't at your thermal limits or your desired overclock... bump your multiplier by another +0.5, see if you can get it to stabilize in prime95 with safe temps for a few passes (with whatever vcore bump you might need), and then move to the next +0.5 multiplier bump. when you've reached your desired clock speed you're going to run prime for a few hours (anything that can run prime for 8 hours without overheating or crashing is pretty much rock solid).



Thanks a lot.
m
0
l
!