Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Asus Rampage III Formula and GSkill Ripjaws - only seeing 16gb instead of 32gb - why?

Last response: in Memory
Share
October 9, 2013 9:45:40 AM

Please help!
I have a custom system that I built - Asus Rampage III Formula with the i7-970 CPU and 32 gb of GSkills Ripjaws DDR3-2000 (PC3-16000).

The system works fine, with the exception that computer only sees 16 out of the 32 gb of RAM installed.

Why does it do this and how can I fix it?

I am running Win7 Pro - 64 bit.

Thank you!
Related resources

Best solution

a c 786 Ĉ ASUS
a c 1942 } Memory
October 9, 2013 10:49:03 PM

What DRAM are you running? if you have 32GB you must have at least a couple of 8GB sticks which the mobo doesn't support, it's max config is 6x4GB...and I can't think of any Ripjaws in 8gb sticks (ever), I'm just guessing here but maybe you have sets of RJ 2000 that total up to 24GB but may be running Win7 Home premium that only supports 16GB total
Share
October 13, 2013 1:52:57 PM

Tradesman1 said:
What DRAM are you running? if you have 32GB you must have at least a couple of 8GB sticks which the mobo doesn't support, it's max config is 6x4GB...and I can't think of any Ripjaws in 8gb sticks (ever), I'm just guessing here but maybe you have sets of RJ 2000 that total up to 24GB but may be running Win7 Home premium that only supports 16GB total


Thank you for your reply.

You were correct. I am running GSkill Ripjaws - 4gbx6 which would be 24gb total. It maxes out the motherboard, but I am only seeing 16gb.

I am running Windows 7 Professional 64 bit.

Here is a link to the Newegg page about the RAM:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Any other ideas?
m
0
l
a c 786 Ĉ ASUS
a c 1942 } Memory
October 13, 2013 2:11:56 PM

Can you post up your BIOS settings for the DRAM and the systems voltages, might be QPI/VTT is low
m
0
l
October 14, 2013 11:14:12 AM

Tradesman1 said:
Can you post up your BIOS settings for the DRAM and the systems voltages, might be QPI/VTT is low


Hello!
As you requested, I have taken some photos of the BIOS settings that relate to the DRAM.

In one of the photos, you will see that the DRAM Frequency was set to AUTO (default) and in another, I had changed it to DDR3-1600MHz. I thought maybe that would help the OS recognize the RAM. No such luck.

This system is not overclocled - all of the settings are basically at default. Not because I am opposed to changing - I am just unsure what to change and how much.

Please forgive my newness here - I am not sure how to post photos directly to a thread, so I have uploaded them to an online gallery. Here is the link:

http://postimg.org/gallery/6pjsjxz2/
m
0
l
a c 786 Ĉ ASUS
a c 1942 } Memory
October 14, 2013 11:41:58 AM

Try taking QPI/DRAM to 1.2
m
0
l
October 15, 2013 1:35:29 PM

Tradesman1 said:
Try taking QPI/DRAM to 1.2


Thank you again for your reply.

As per your suggestion, I changed the QPI/DRAM setting to 1.2 in the BIOS and restarted.

No joy. Still 16gb instead of 24gb.

Any other suggestions? :) 
m
0
l
October 15, 2013 1:35:55 PM

Tradesman1 said:
Try taking QPI/DRAM to 1.2


Thank you again for your reply.

As per your suggestion, I changed the QPI/DRAM setting to 1.2 in the BIOS and restarted.

No joy. Still 16gb instead of 24gb.

Any other suggestions? :) 
m
0
l
a c 786 Ĉ ASUS
a c 1942 } Memory
October 15, 2013 1:48:51 PM

Maybe a problem with the MC (memory controller) , might be a slot problem,,,know of anyone else with a X58 that's fully populated you could try their DRAM (know it doubtful, but have to ask), of if you know a builder that might have other DRAM around you could try
m
0
l
October 15, 2013 2:07:37 PM

Tradesman1 said:
Maybe a problem with the MC (memory controller) , might be a slot problem,,,know of anyone else with a X58 that's fully populated you could try their DRAM (know it doubtful, but have to ask), of if you know a builder that might have other DRAM around you could try

Actually this is the second set of DRAM that is installed. I RMA's the first set because of a quirky graphics problem - switched out the video card, PSU and RAM.
It reported 16gb previous to the RMA as well.

Not sure if a different brand would be any different or not. And I don't know if contacting GSkill or ASUS tech support would prove much or not.

Thanks!
m
0
l
a c 786 Ĉ ASUS
a c 1942 } Memory
October 15, 2013 2:13:52 PM

Might be you just have two sets that don't want to play together, see this all the time which is why I recommend buying the full amount of DRAM you want in a single package, any time you mix sticks it can be problematic, that's why the bigger packaged sets cost more, it takes time to find a large group of sticks that will all play nice together - just to many people out there still living in the DDR - DDR2 ages when mixing sticks wasn't so much a problem, and they are still (every day) telling folks right and left, JUST go buy another stick or two, it'll be fine
m
0
l
!