Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

How to change nvidia fan speed?

Tags:
  • Nvidia
  • Computers
  • Fan Speed
  • Graphics
  • Graphics Cards
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
October 9, 2013 10:49:27 AM

Got my computer back from repair today. The repair guy changed my graphics card from a hd-6450, to a Geforce 8400 GS because he said the 6450 wouldn't post (it seemed ok before I gave it him)

My problem is, I need to know how to change the gpu fanspeed.

I've updated the drivers and got the Nvidia control panel, and I've also downloaded MSI afterburner.
But i still can't work out how to change the gpu fan speed.

On my old 6450, i changed it on catalyst control centre....

More about : change nvidia fan speed

a b Î Nvidia
a c 119 U Graphics card
October 9, 2013 10:54:20 AM

In MSI Afterburner, you just un-select Auto and set whatever speed you want.

You can also set custom fan speeds(based on card temps) from within the settings window.
m
0
l
October 9, 2013 11:22:55 AM

nukemaster said:
In MSI Afterburner, you just un-select Auto and set whatever speed you want.

You can also set custom fan speeds(based on card temps) from within the settings window.


Ok. I see where it says auto. but when I click it nothing happens,
m
0
l
Related resources
a b Î Nvidia
a c 119 U Graphics card
October 9, 2013 11:33:10 AM

When you un-select Auto, A slider does not become movable?

1. remove the light from AUTO by clicking it once
2. Adjust the fan speed
3. Apply


Let me know if this helps
m
0
l
a b Î Nvidia
a c 198 U Graphics card
October 9, 2013 11:38:27 AM

It's entirely likely the fan cannot be adjusted.
Power down the system and take a look at the card, if there is two wires going to the fan the speed s fixed, if it has three you should be able to change it.
m
0
l
October 9, 2013 11:41:08 AM

nukemaster said:
When you un-select Auto, A slider does not become movable?

1. remove the light from AUTO by clicking it once
2. Adjust the fan speed
3. Apply


Let me know if this helps


No. I am unable to select the box with my cursor. And there is no light.
m
0
l
a b Î Nvidia
a c 119 U Graphics card
October 9, 2013 11:42:46 AM

EDIT
The above user would almost certainly be correct then. The cards fan is not designed to be controlled. Past of the cost cutting for lower end cards.

FIRST POST.

You bring up an interesting point. I almost forgot about the lack of speed control on some lower end cards.

All my low end cards are passive : )

Does the card even show a speed in afterburner?

Technically 2 pin fans can be controlled with voltage, but maybe they never did that for video cards.

Good catch coozie7
m
0
l
October 9, 2013 12:32:19 PM

nukemaster said:
EDIT
The above user would almost certainly be correct then. The cards fan is not designed to be controlled. Past of the cost cutting for lower end cards.

FIRST POST.

You bring up an interesting point. I almost forgot about the lack of speed control on some lower end cards.

All my low end cards are passive : )

Does the card even show a speed in afterburner?

Technically 2 pin fans can be controlled with voltage, but maybe they never did that for video cards.

Good catch coozie7


No. The afterburner does not show the fan speed. I am not planning on keeping this card for too much longer. I just need it for a few weeks until I'm debt-free. Then an upgrade will be coming.

The msiafterburner states that the GPU is running at 59`c. whilst converting black ops on steam.
I don't really recall these temps with my 6450. I recall idle at around 30 - 35`c.
However, The fans on the 6450 were set to 100%

m
0
l
a b Î Nvidia
a c 119 U Graphics card
October 9, 2013 12:43:34 PM

All cards run at different temperatures.

The 6450 is actually much newer(and in this case faster). It is based on a smaller manufacturing process making it run cooler as well.

As long as the fan is spinning and the cooler is not glogged with dust. The card should be fine.
m
0
l
!