Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

New motherboard, CPU, and ram resulting in an endless boot loop no bios and no display ?!

Last response: in Components
Share
October 9, 2013 1:39:49 PM

Hi all,
I recently decided to upgrade my old system and purchased a 4670k, Gigabyte z87x OC, and some patriot 2133mhz ram. Kept my old corsair 650tx psu and hardrives.

Hooked up everything and made sure every cable was well fitted in the correct slots(main 24 pin and 8pin) and what not.
Tried to turn it on, and then the boot loop started happening. It would turn on for a sec and turn off and again and again ... The good thing about this motherboard is that it has an on-board led error code thingy. IT showed up 19 then 15 , which according to the manual is not an error and it only means that the pre memory of the north and south bridge initialization has started.

All the fans do start (power supply fan, cpu fan, gpu fan, pc case fans)
I tried booting it without a gpu (hd6970) relying on the hd4600, still same thing.
Tried booting with 1 stick of ram and no gpu, same thing.
Tried booting it with 1 stick of ram no gpu and 1 hardrive same thing.
Tried the other ram slots, same thing.
Tried breadboarding it, still nothing.

I initially thought it was my psu, but it cant be as it works fine as we speak. Hooked my old rig up again with a q6600 overclocked to 3.4ghz.

Kind of running out of options here, any suggestions ?
Alot of people seem to have that weird problem with their upgrades ... Is it possible i got faulty hardware ?
Let me know if i missed out any information you would want to know.
Cheers for now and looking forward to hearing from you guys.
a b ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
October 9, 2013 1:48:02 PM

Well, if you had a OEM Operating System installed that wil give you problems. Had it been a Retail copy, you would have fine. The OEM will not recognize your new motherbooard and thinks it is being installed into a system other than the one it was licensed for. You can buy a new OS, or a License from Microsoft.
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
a c 188 à CPUs
a c 462 V Motherboard
October 9, 2013 1:49:40 PM

it may be that your power supply not turning on do to the low wattage of the newer cpu. also check that the cpu is seated right and there no bent pins under the cpu.
the memory controller is built into the cpu not the mb.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
October 9, 2013 1:54:57 PM

what ram is it? 1.65v?

is the cpu heat sink and fan attached properly"................ assembled while board was out of machine so you could make sure pins fit right?

also, first reset cmos and try to boot.
m
0
l
October 9, 2013 2:15:49 PM

Hi thanks for getting back to me guys.
I haven't formatted my main hardrive, but shouldnt it still boot to bios though ?
Tried booting with no hardrives, and still the same thing.
I tried resetting the cmos but nothing has changed, it does the same thing.
I tried booting with no ram just the cpu and it still does the same thing.
The ram i have is http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY...
I have checked if the stock heatsink is well placed and it seems like it, followed the guidelines in the manual ...
I did assemble it outside the board and made sure multiple times if the cpu socket was fine and well sealed. The socket doesnt seem to have any bent pins either as its brand new.
Im i missing something that is really obvious and silly !?
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
a c 188 à CPUs
a c 462 V Motherboard
October 9, 2013 2:18:19 PM

make sure on the pci power plug on the mother board the eight pin on the edge is connected and you did not use the six plus two pci video card power there not the same cables.
m
0
l
October 9, 2013 2:26:42 PM

Hi, made sure it was the 2*4pin to make 8pin.
The 2 6pins were on the gpu, and then outside the case when i tried to boot it without a gpu ...
Thanks for your suggestion.
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
October 9, 2013 2:29:07 PM

One of the first things checked in POST is the CPU. That is where I would be looking. Somebody mentioned about the pins. They are in the socket and not on the processer and haven't been since the old 478 socket as far as I know. Anyway, you may need a magnifying glass but you need to check those pins carefully. I had one some years ago that never took the plastic cap off of the processor. I got laughed at when I suggested it. They came back something like yes, there was some plastic in there and it was clead out and now it is running fine. Anyway, I would really give the CPU a look over.
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
October 9, 2013 2:31:21 PM

the pins of the heat sink "snap" into place and lock ( black pins go in and anchor themselves. you can see them when the board is out. you can also try to pull up on the tops to see if they pull out........ don't twist them ).

is the front panel wired correctly.......... one side of those wires is negative the other positive........ see small arrow on back of pins that connect to board.......... also, negative wires are usually the same color..... white maybe )?

there was thermal paste on the block?

please list all hardware.
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
October 9, 2013 2:32:23 PM

this sites getting bad......... can't even post/ toms need to ban ip's from this spammer/dos attackers country.
m
0
l
October 9, 2013 2:40:24 PM

Just had a closer look at the cpu socket on the motherboard, it seems fine.
Cant see any plastic, and made sure the plastic cap was off so i could place the heatsink.
The cpu too doesn't seem to be odd in any way.
Thanks.
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
October 9, 2013 2:43:04 PM

swifty_morgan said:
this sites getting bad......... can't even post/ toms need to ban ip's from this spammer/dos attackers country.


I've lost track of the number I had reported today. The Site that I moderate has been rather quiet as far as spammers go. Had a couple.
m
0
l
October 9, 2013 2:46:09 PM

swifty_morgan said:
the pins of the heat sink "snap" into place and lock ( black pins go in and anchor themselves. you can see them when the board is out. you can also try to pull up on the tops to see if they pull out........ don't twist them ).

is the front panel wired correctly.......... one side of those wires is negative the other positive........ see small arrow on back of pins that connect to board.......... also, negative wires are usually the same color..... white maybe )?

there was thermal paste on the block?

please list all hardware.


Yeah i figured out the stock heat sink after a little practice ha.
It has paste on it, doesn't look good now though after taking it off and putting it on so many times.
I had a previous issue with a cpu overheating but it would have time to go into the bios and you could see the temp rise before it shut down...
Didn't use the front panel at all, the motherboard has an on-board power on button which is really handy.
Thanks
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
October 9, 2013 2:47:36 PM

xsperten said:
Just had a closer look at the cpu socket on the motherboard, it seems fine.
Cant see any plastic, and made sure the plastic cap was off so i could place the heatsink.
The cpu too doesn't seem to be odd in any way.
Thanks.


I just threw that plastic thing out there. That is the only time I know of that someone installed the CPU with the plastic cap still on it. At least they removed the one on the socket. They must have really mashed down hard to gert that thing closed, and they were lucky they didn't mess up any pins.
m
0
l
October 9, 2013 2:49:34 PM

Spec im trying to run the pc with :
Cpu : i5 4670k
Motherboard : Gigabyte z87x OC
Ram : Patriot Viper ddr3 2133mhz
Psu: Corsair 650tx
Heatsink Cpu fan : Stock
GPU: HD6970
m
0
l
October 9, 2013 2:52:14 PM

coastie65 said:
xsperten said:
Just had a closer look at the cpu socket on the motherboard, it seems fine.
Cant see any plastic, and made sure the plastic cap was off so i could place the heatsink.
The cpu too doesn't seem to be odd in any way.
Thanks.


I just threw that plastic thing out there. That is the only time I know of that someone installed the CPU with the plastic cap still on it. At least they removed the one on the socket. They must have really mashed down hard to gert that thing closed, and they were lucky they didn't mess up any pins.


Thanks for the suggestion. Im baffled with what is happening, never had an issue building a pc before. And this trouble seems to be quite common with people trying to do similar upgrades , weird weird :S

m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
October 9, 2013 3:02:30 PM

curious, have you tried pulling the video card and just boot from the on board video?
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
October 9, 2013 3:11:16 PM

xsperten said:
coastie65 said:
xsperten said:
Just had a closer look at the cpu socket on the motherboard, it seems fine.
Cant see any plastic, and made sure the plastic cap was off so i could place the heatsink.
The cpu too doesn't seem to be odd in any way.
Thanks.


I just threw that plastic thing out there. That is the only time I know of that someone installed the CPU with the plastic cap still on it. At least they removed the one on the socket. They must have really mashed down hard to gert that thing closed, and they were lucky they didn't mess up any pins.


Thanks for the suggestion. Im baffled with what is happening, never had an issue building a pc before. And this trouble seems to be quite common with people trying to do similar upgrades , weird weird :S



What did your upgrade from? I up grade from an ASUS P8Z68- Vpro and 2600k processor to an ASUS Z87 -Pro with 4770k processor the first week of June and didn't have any issues. With POST, the first things are the fans, then CPU. You don't appear to be up long enough to get past that before it shuts down and the reason I keep hanging on the CPU. I am one of those who hate to say anything is DOA and sometimes it is. In this case it could very well be the Processor or the MOBO. You have built others, so I am sure things are as they should be. You breadboarded it with the same results, so that rules out the standoffs and any problem associated with that aspect. The only thing that I can think of and it is CPU related is the to make sure the Cable for CPU from the PSU are firmly plugged into the the socket ( all 8 pins ). It is easy to think they are plugged in, when they aren't and not making good contact.
m
0
l
October 9, 2013 11:43:10 PM

swifty_morgan said:
curious, have you tried pulling the video card and just boot from the on board video?


Hi, Yes i did ... no luck unfortunately.

m
0
l
October 9, 2013 11:54:52 PM

I upgraded from a P5Q Deluxe(4pin and 24pin required to boot it ), Q6600 (old school quad core) and ddr2 ram.
I am going to try to breadboard it again, i double checked the cpu socket and seems to have 1 tiny pin that is slightly bent, doubt that would cause the boot loop but thought it was worth mentioning.
Is the processor warranty under intel ?
Ive contacted overclockers with the issue and asked to send some new ram and a new motherboard.
The z87c OC seems to be a very power hungry mobo with a 2*4pin plus an extra 4pin, it also has another extra 6pin somewhere in the middle of the board. Apparently you only need the 8pin connection to run it, the extra juice is if you have more stuff on it (ie extra GPUs, PCIEs, ram etc...)
I really hope its just a motherboard issue and not a processor one...
So confused why this is happening it really looks like it doesn't have enough power going through it, but even trying to boot it with just cpu and nothing else seems to be doing the same thing...
The 650tx is definitely 100% compatible with Haswell too.
Could it just be that this overclokers motherboard needs more than 650w ?
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
October 10, 2013 4:59:40 AM

OK. It doesn't take much on those pins. You need to straighten it, if you think you can. You have to be very careful with doing that or you can break a pin. There is only an 8 pin CPU connection. I have seen some with a 6 pin connector, that was not used. Actually, the CPU connector, is two 4 pin connectors side by side and can be difficult to get plugged in as it should be, at least on my board. Anyway, maybe this will help on the bent pin : http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/311864-30-bent-socket... . The mechanical pencil thing sounds like probably the best approach to that.
m
0
l
October 13, 2013 4:15:59 AM

Hi all,
Sorry for not getting back, was away.
Good news, i managed to get the pc booting up.
I had to breadboard it again and run it with 1 stick of ram.
However im facing two other issues now.
Cant run the pc in dual channel, and i cant access the bios anymore unless i detach all my drives and use the internal gpu to force boot it to bios ?!
Really considering on sending the board back ...
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
October 13, 2013 5:49:59 AM

If you have a bent oin in the socket, you probably should RMA it and I hope you save the Plastic cover that was on the socket. That has to be in place when you do return it as a rule.
m
0
l
October 13, 2013 8:16:54 AM

Still have the plastic cover, any suggestions why i cant run dual channel though ?
Things i tried:
Made sure it was in the socket combination, in this case 1 and 3.
Made sure the right timings and voltage were set on the bios.
Tried the other socket combinations.
Made sure the other stick works and it does.
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
October 13, 2013 9:33:57 AM

I have an ASUS and with two sticks it is 2 & 4 ( or the way they have it labeled, A2 & B2 ). The slots are the same color as well. No telling what kind of, if any, problem that bent pin could be causing.
m
0
l
October 13, 2013 10:17:02 AM

Well im running my 8gb now but in single channel...
Slot 1 and 2, don't understand why it doesn't like the dual channel, could be that bent pin ill try and fix them and report back if it does make a difference.
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
October 13, 2013 10:42:14 AM

you running a bare drive or trying to use your formatted old one?

list all hardware.
m
0
l
October 13, 2013 11:10:39 AM

Im running two hardrives, both formatted with a fresh install of win7 in one of them.
Cpu : i5 4670k
GPU: HD6970
RAM : Patriot 8GB DDR3 2133mhz in single channel.
MOBO: Gigabyte z87x OC
PSU: Corsair tx650

I cant load BIOS , unless i detach the hard-drives and use the on-board GPU and force boot it into bios. Cant seem to get the start-up logo working ...
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
October 13, 2013 11:18:39 AM

is this 1.5v memory?

also, have you tried a cmos reset?
m
0
l
October 13, 2013 11:33:00 AM

it is a 1.5v memory yes.
A cmos reset i have tried. It just cancelled my xmp profile and put it back to 1600mhz...
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
October 13, 2013 11:42:32 AM

pull 1 drive. boot with onboard. make sure of boot sequence. disable floppy. set to ide.save.
m
0
l
October 17, 2013 12:36:29 PM

swifty_morgan said:
pull 1 drive. boot with onboard. make sure of boot sequence. disable floppy. set to ide.save.


Boot sequence was for sure correct, only seems to like the on board gpu for bios, there isn't an option to disable floppy, and when i change my sata connection to ide it would just blue screen.
Thanks for your suggestions.
Considering sending the board back for a replacement.
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
October 17, 2013 12:53:09 PM

xsperten said:
Hi thanks for getting back to me guys.
I haven't formatted my main hardrive, but shouldnt it still boot to bios though ?
Tried booting with no hardrives, and still the same thing.
I tried resetting the cmos but nothing has changed, it does the same thing.
I tried booting with no ram just the cpu and it still does the same thing.
The ram i have is http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY...
I have checked if the stock heatsink is well placed and it seems like it, followed the guidelines in the manual ...
I did assemble it outside the board and made sure multiple times if the cpu socket was fine and well sealed. The socket doesnt seem to have any bent pins either as its brand new.
Im i missing something that is really obvious and silly !?


Yeah, it should post, although as I recall, mine quit doing that. Ended up reinstalling the Motherboard that came out of it.
m
0
l
October 18, 2013 8:03:01 AM

coastie65 said:
xsperten said:
Hi thanks for getting back to me guys.
I haven't formatted my main hardrive, but shouldnt it still boot to bios though ?
Tried booting with no hardrives, and still the same thing.
I tried resetting the cmos but nothing has changed, it does the same thing.
I tried booting with no ram just the cpu and it still does the same thing.
The ram i have is http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY...
I have checked if the stock heatsink is well placed and it seems like it, followed the guidelines in the manual ...
I did assemble it outside the board and made sure multiple times if the cpu socket was fine and well sealed. The socket doesnt seem to have any bent pins either as its brand new.
Im i missing something that is really obvious and silly !?


Yeah, it should post, although as I recall, mine quit doing that. Ended up reinstalling the Motherboard that came out of it.


Hi,
What do you mean by re installing the motherboard that came out of it ? Could you elaborate...

Thanks
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
October 18, 2013 8:18:59 AM

Couldn't get the new MOBO to even POST after several starts. Packed it all up in the box and it is sitting in the closet with a bunch of other stuff now. I remember that I wasn't too happy with it anyway as it was short of USB headers, but had several 1394 ( Firewire ) headers. Have a feeling that I may have plugged a USB into one of those things, but don't remember as I didn't pay much attention when I was unplugging things. The reason that i was changing it out in the first place was because of the locked BiOS. I had all the stuff to unlock it and had made up the Flash Drive, but could never get it to work for some reason, so just ordered a new MOBO.
m
0
l
October 18, 2013 9:43:40 AM

Have you tried setting the RAM frequency, timings and voltage manually in the BIOS?
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
October 18, 2013 10:48:19 AM

If it is not posting it generally will come down to two things, either memory or CPU. Gnerally when posting, it will get to the CPU before it gets to the memory as I think the memory is the last thing checked during post. I was just going back through this. I believe this is your Motherboard: If this is the case, in order to run in dual Channel and provided the sticks are dual channel, the two sticks will either have to be in the two orabge Slots or the two black slots as those are your Channels. If you put then in One black slot and one orange slot, you may run 8gb, but it will be in Single channel mode. The bent pin could be causing issues as well. As I said most issues at POST is either a memory issue or CPU issue.
m
0
l
October 19, 2013 2:44:34 PM

jbseven said:
Have you tried setting the RAM frequency, timings and voltage manually in the BIOS?


Hi there,
yes i have tried but in vain...
m
0
l
October 19, 2013 2:48:19 PM

coastie65 said:
If it is not posting it generally will come down to two things, either memory or CPU. Gnerally when posting, it will get to the CPU before it gets to the memory as I think the memory is the last thing checked during post. I was just going back through this. I believe this is your Motherboard: If this is the case, in order to run in dual Channel and provided the sticks are dual channel, the two sticks will either have to be in the two orabge Slots or the two black slots as those are your Channels. If you put then in One black slot and one orange slot, you may run 8gb, but it will be in Single channel mode. The bent pin could be causing issues as well. As I said most issues at POST is either a memory issue or CPU issue.


Hi again coastie,
Yes that is the motherboard. I have tried to put it accordingly for dual channel however it just wont boot, loop of error 15(led error). When i put it in single channel it boots up. Tried all the slots with no luck ... I fixed the slightly bent pin and again no luck with that either ... Just doesn't seem to like the dual channel. Might have to send the board back :S
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
October 19, 2013 2:54:52 PM

I just noticed that the way that it looks form how they have it labeled is that the two black slots are two primary dual channel slot, and any additional would go into the orange slots.
m
0
l
October 19, 2013 3:00:35 PM

coastie65 said:
I just noticed that the way that it looks form how they have it labeled is that the two black slots are two primary dual channel slot, and any additional would go into the orange slots.

It does look like it, i did try it that way just in case. In the manual it does say for best dual channel please use slot 1 and three which is the two orange ones.
m
0
l
October 20, 2013 1:31:58 AM

Try updating your bios while on single channel and see if that solves it.
m
0
l
October 20, 2013 1:36:25 PM

jbseven said:
Try updating your bios while on single channel and see if that solves it.


Hi there, running the latest bios f6. Doesn't seem to have made a difference. I think it might be the board that is either faulty or incompatible in dual channel with this ram... Running out of options :S
m
0
l
January 1, 2014 9:55:06 PM

I had a bios boot loop problem on an old compaq. The only way i fixed it was to use DBAN to wipe the hard drive and i used a downloaded version of the os i had before. I downloaded a full version even though the original comp was oem. DBAN wiped any record of it. The only thing i did was reinstall and use the sticker that came on the comp to register it and it worked fine. I tried using a different registeration number from a different computer, yet it still didnt recognize it. So just use the same code that came with the computer. Make sure you have the registration on the sticker before you wipe it. Just download an iso of your operating system and burn it. hopefully thats all you need.
m
0
l
!