Solved

Internet connection keeps dropping out.

Hello all,

I've been trawling the web in hopes of finding a solution to my problem, but alas, to no avail. I have decided to make my own thread to try and get this sorted.

The problem.

I used to have a Netgear DG834 but after experiencing the following problem, I got my parents old Netgear DGN2200, again, to no avail.

A while ago, I started having problems with my internet connection. It drops out for maybe 30 seconds, and then reconnects, but, sometimes it drops out and requires a reboot through the 192.168 etc or pushing the power button off and on before it will reconnect. It happens no matter what, but seems to be exacerbated by having many devices connected at a time. I have tried changing the router wireless channel, and have also checked what wireless signals are in the airwaves but there is little to no interference, and none on the wireless channel my router is using.

Could my digital radio be the problem? It is positioned quite close to the router, but the dropouts happen regardless of whether it is on or off. I have moved the router around my house, away from all possible places interference could occur. I have changed the splitter, and also the wire running from the splitter into the router. I have also moved my router to the phone socket where the phone line where it comes into the house to rule out faulty wiring. I can post pics of the router config GUI when I get home, can't access it from work RN.

It occurs roughly every 10 minutes or so, but it varies and I have seen it happen within a few minutes of the first occurrence. The lights on the old router that signified internet connection went orange before going green again after about 30 seconds. I never had to power cycle the old router, that is a problem with the new router. My download speeds are typical of england, 450 600 kbs down, 100 - 150 up at peak times. All my neighbors get the same speed, and fibre has not been rolled out and according to the BT website, it wont be anytime soon. My next door neighbor has the same speeds, but has never experienced a drop out while I play with him on bf3 etc.

At any one time, there can be various devices connected. There are 3 ps3s in my house, 3 iphones, 2 android phones, a blackberry, 2 amazon kindles, 3 laptops. (My parents and my two brothers). I have never had all connected at once, but usually, there will be at least 2 phones, 1, 2 or all of the ps3s, at least one laptop, maybe 2, never 3 connected all at once. So maybe between 3 - 6 devices at any one time, with constant dropouts every 10 minutes, maybe more, maybe less, and the length of time the dropouts last for is varied, but more recently after getting the new router, I sometimes need to power cycle the router to get it back working.

This is literally driving me nuts, could it just be a case of needing a better router? I've always dismissed that general "Oh you're having trouble? throw money @ problem to fix" advice, but this once I'll listen if that is the case.

Any help at all will be much appreciated.

Thanks,

James

----------

EDIT

----------

The issue seems to have been fixed. BT upgraded the connection, we got sent out a letter, now we get 700 KBs down! Marvelous! However, it wasn't until I ran a new wire from the master phone box where the line comes in that I fixed it. Faulty wiring it would seem after all. My house is only 25 Years old, but still, to anyone who has this issue with DNS desync, it seems to be fixable by getting a new master line box and running a wire directly from that to the router, and also dont connect a phone to the same splitter.
26 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about internet connection dropping
  1. Best answer
    Either you have dysfunctional wires on the house either is problem with your internet provider. Try contact them.

    I had a similar issue. Random disconnections and sometimes tend to happened very often. Tried many things like you did and nothing worked.I figured out that the cables on the outlet where messed up due to a water leak from the upstairs neighbor.

    I changed it to a new outlet of the house which was in different cables and the connection got a little more stable but not much better.

    After contacting my internet provider, they sent a technician and he told me that it most likely problem from the provider. Currently im in the processes of changing internet provider.
  2. MiDNiGHTsoul said:
    Either you have dysfunctional wires on the house either is problem with your internet provider. Try contact them.

    I had a similar issue. Random disconnections and sometimes tend to happened very often. Tried many things like you did and nothing worked.I figured out that the cables on the outlet where messed up due to a water leak from the upstairs neighbor.

    I changed it to a new outlet of the house which was in different cables and the connection got a little more stable but not much better.

    After contacting my internet provider, they sent a technician and he told me that it most likely problem from the provider. Currently im in the processes of changing internet provider.


    Cheers bud, I've been looking at the logs for the router and the recurring message is a dns down message. What you say makes sense though, I'll give th a ring tomorrow and find out. Ill post the results back here
  3. Something like this happened to me. I figured out that the problem was my computer--not the modem as my IP suggested--because the same thing happened when using the computer at a different location on a different network using a different modem while a person using the same kind of computer at the same time did not have the problem. I "cleaned" the computer and put in new anti-virus software. So far it's fixed (not sure it will last). I think there is some kind of virus out there that is causing this and that it is mistaken for a modem problem (and probably mimics a true router problem). I'm not a computer person so this is just an hypothesis.
    Diana
  4. I have been having similar problems with my wireless internet, tried everything, tried all posted remideees and even reloaded windows 7 and still nothing . If you are having this problem the FIX IS BUY A NEW ROURTER. It's been over a week now and i'm still running strong. It's like the tech at best buys told me, if your rourter is plugged in and running 24/7 even the most expensive ones break. Mine was 200.00 dollar asus, dont be afraid to change it besides you can allways bring it back, im running a netgear NIGHTHAWK R7000 . Runs like a dream and for now my nightmare is over............for now .......next the modem will break because it's plugged in all the time.
  5. MiDNiGHTsoul said:

    Cheers bud, I've been looking at the logs for the router and the recurring message is a dns down message. What you say makes sense though, I'll give th a ring tomorrow and find out. Ill post the results back here


    I have been having similar problems too. My provider has replaced the modem but support has stopped there. A technician came out last year and said that he thought there may be a problem with the wiring coming in but because my point is at the back of the house on a level below ground its not so easy to replace the cable. I'm not sure what he did when he came out but he said if this doesn't sort the problem call back for another call out. Unfortunately the next guy that came out didn't concur, had no record of the first technicians concerns about the cable coming in possibly being the problem and they have basically said there's nothing more they can do. As far as they're concerned everytime they test the line it appears to work fine.
    What I would like to be able to do is show them proof that the modem keeps dropping internet connection and somebody here mentioned a record of the log or something - I'm not very technical but is there something I could do or does anybody have a link to a help page that could help me find proof of the drop outs. I've started to take screenshots of the dropouts but they wanted proof that the drop outs occured on ethernet AND on different devices at the same time but the drop outs only occur for 3- seconds and its impossible to get from one wired computer to the next to get the shots before it reconnects plus it means ugly cables cluttering up the TV room floor.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated ... if I can't get them to acknowledge the issue I'm going to have to change providers and I will lose my loyalty discount and have to pay much more for less so I'm loathe to move ...

    Thanks
  6. Your having some sound to noise on your line. Interference or noise they call it. It could be: cable is damaged, bent, rg 59 cable, or you have a long run/bad splitter or too many splitters/Loose connector/corroded or too long of a stinger, strayer foam that surrounds the stinger is not flushed on the connector/even a tiny little mesh wire, like the size of a tiny eyelash could be touching the copper stinger. Need more info in-order to give you the answer to your problem. Tell the tech to do a docsis test to see if your levels are good. He should be able to test the lines with his meter by doing an Ingres scan to check for noise. Or if his MER or BER levels are out of spec the line is bad. I could go on and on and on.
  7. dianab said:
    Something like this happened to me. I figured out that the problem was my computer--not the modem as my IP suggested--because the same thing happened when using the computer at a different location on a different network using a different modem while a person using the same kind of computer at the same time did not have the problem. I "cleaned" the computer and put in new anti-virus software. So far it's fixed (not sure it will last). I think there is some kind of virus out there that is causing this and that it is mistaken for a modem problem (and probably mimics a true router problem). I'm not a computer person so this is just an hypothesis.
    Diana


    I think I'm experiencing the same problem from the OP.
    I've have internet and it will work normally, for about 5 minutes. While watching a Youtube video or scrolling on FB or such, it'll just drop out and likewise, it'll take a few reboots to acquire another connection - which again, only lasts for a few minutes. It keeps coming up w/ this "No Network Connection" msg, although I hover over the icon and it says the internet connection or signal is excellent, but im just not connected to it..
    I've seen other pages and videos describing or suggesting going into settings or control box, adjusting 'properties' of settings etc.. but nothing's seemed to have helped. I've recently been thinking that, yea, it might be a possible virus strand out there that's conditions are to disable internet.. I dunno why someone would make such a thing or what good it would do, but some people just like to make life difficult and aggravating for others. =[
    However, it could just as easily be a downfall or detriment in my hardware/software somewhere.. and me, not being too tech-savvy, having trouble solving the problem.
  8. It sounds like the same problem I was having. Every 3 minutes or so, while connected to wifi (that I know was working properly with a strong signal) I would get dropped from the internet and to get back on I had to reboot.

    Here is how I fixed it. It has not happened since.

    (fyi I use windows 7) Go to your control panel. Select Device manager. Then Network adaptors. Choose your wifi link (probably Intel 5100 AGN) and choose adhoc Qos mode and enable the WMM.
    It absolutely needs to be enabled. I promise this will work.
  9. I work for a major broadband provider and in most cases it is not the loss of internet to the modem or modem to router. I wrote this up to give to my fellow techs, feel free to use and pass on.


    If you are experiencing constant Wi-Fi drop outs this is most likely do to Wi-Fi interference. (Caused by the oversaturation of the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz frequencies by devices like cordless phones, wireless alarm system & devices, and any and all wireless devices found in common household these days) and not caused by the modem losing the internet connection. Note; resetting the modem and router is just a temporary fix to the problem you are experiencing by forcing the router to restart and lock on a new channel but then the “auto channel” feature kicks in and changed back to a noisy channel and you are kicked off again.
    (And this is also considering the devices losing connection has the latest device drivers or OS and the router also has the current firmware available by the manufacture)
    I would suggest doing one or both of the following to fix the issue.

    A. Set Your Router to a Specific Channel
    Here’s a tip that can get your wireless connection from dropping out repeatedly. If you are using a router (particularly a dual band router) you’ll want to go into the wireless settings and specify a channel. Try using a different channel other than the default, and make this settings for both of your bands (2.4Ghz and 5Ghz) if you’re using a dual bound router. Definitely do not use the “auto” setting. From our troubleshooting it appears that this is the main culprit. Try setting a higher channel, and if that doesn’t work, try different channels. It’s very possible that there are enough networks in your immediate area on the same channel that they’re conflicting with each other.

    B. Adjust your wireless router settings
    1. By lower the MTU (Maximum Transmission Unit) from 1500 to 1492 or less (usually found on your router’s main/ basic setup page)
    2. Adjust the following advanced wireless settings:
    3. Lower the beacon interval from 100 to 50
    4. Lower the fragmentation threshold from 2346 to 2306
    5. Lower the RTS threshold from 2347 to 2304


    Also the problem might not be a Wi-Fi issue but a computer issue.

    Laptop and power saving mode issues

    Dead connection when laptops are on battery and switch power saving modes. For Wi-Fi - most Windows laptops default to "maximum performance" when plugged in and then shift to "moderate power savings" when on battery (you'll find these settings in Windows under Power Options > Change Plan Settings > Change Advanced Power Settings > Wireless Adapter Settings > Power Saving Mode). On some laptops - the Wi-Fi connection would go "dead" when undocked/unplugged, but would resume when plugged back in.
    Or when a laptop goes into sleep mode and the network card does not wake up when the laptop does.

    The workaround is to set the card for "maximum performance" while on battery
  10. MiDNiGHTsoul said:
    Either you have dysfunctional wires on the house either is problem with your internet provider. Try contact them.

    I had a similar issue. Random disconnections and sometimes tend to happened very often. Tried many things like you did and nothing worked.I figured out that the cables on the outlet where messed up due to a water leak from the upstairs neighbor.

    I changed it to a new outlet of the house which was in different cables and the connection got a little more stable but not much better.

    After contacting my internet provider, they sent a technician and he told me that it most likely problem from the provider. Currently im in the processes of changing internet provider.


    My entire apartment complex has really horrible wiring (regular power dips and brownouts). Would a UPS with regulated voltage help in this case? I don't know if the signal is affected by the power so I'm not sure if keeping the router stable would change the drop outs when they're complex-wide.
  11. 'It could be: cable is damaged, bent, rg 59 cable, or you have a long run/bad splitter or too many splitters/Loose connector/corroded or too long of a stinger, strayer foam that surrounds the stinger is not flushed on the connector/even a tiny little mesh wire, like the size of a tiny eyelash could be touching the copper stinger' -> This is rap material
  12. In my case, it's not the router or modem at all. It's my computer! That's something to watch out for too. I have a hardwired connection and a wifi connection on my computer. No matter which one I'm using it will go out after about an hour. I have to totally disable the connection, wait a minute, re-enable it. Or I have to re-enable the alternate connection. Sometimes I have to do this two or three times for it to come back on.

    But, while it's out - my TV which is connected to the landline internet as well as my computer, works perfectly fine. And my cell phones and tablets are working fine on WiFi. So it's definitely not the internet connection itself. It's something inside my computer. I don't know if it's a virus or if my cards are just going bad. The computer's 4 years old. You'd think the hardware would last longer than that, but I'm suspecting that's the problem.
  13. IT fixed it thnx MEGATERANG who posted here ,,i was having dropouts randomly,i tried every thing formatted changed routers cried to my ISP
    ran all kinds of troubleshooting programs,changed cables lol...

    this is a copy of the post I read from MEGATERANG === It sounds like the same problem I was having. Every 3 minutes or so, while connected to wifi (that I know was working properly with a strong signal) I would get dropped from the internet and to get back on I had to reboot.

    Here is how I fixed it. It has not happened since.

    (fyi I use windows 7) Go to your control panel. Select Device manager. Then Network adaptors. Choose your wifi link (probably Intel 5100 AGN) and choose adhoc Qos mode and enable the WMM........

    I have windows 8.1 here is how I did it

    in search box search for device manager
    click device manager then look for network adapers

    click network adapters then find your wifi adapter in the drop list (should have a name)

    then right click on the correct wifi adapter

    select properties
    then click advanced tab

    and change it to AdHoc mode click ok close all windows and u should be right to go,,,,

    as im writing this I would of dropped out at lest 5 times so I hope it works for u goodluck...
  14. also in one of the other sites I read that , under "power management " of device manager , we have to remove the tick . that also helped. I have done this along with adhoc enable. hopefully should help .
  15. We are having intermittent loss of internet at our house.
    So far we have replaved the phone socket, the phone, the micro filter, the cable to the router, the router!
    Weve had 4 BTopenreach engineers which 3 said there was no issues with the line.
    weve had the line reset and 4th engineer found a fault going from the green box to the exchange so replaced that.
    We are still having the issue, its actually worse having gone off 10 times in the last 9 hours.
  16. NOW This is something I haven't fount in any thread in the whole wide Internet.
    Yeah I've got all of this same problems... But this is happening.

    One day connections times out in one modem of one provider.
    The next day it happens in the other modem of the OTHER internet provider.

    All of this happened the next day after I bought my new dell Inspiron and started to BitTorrent. Nothing else has happened.

    One more strange thing the new Dell laptop is taking awfully long to start after I press the On button...I'm on my way to get the warranty application.
  17. crackerjacks00 said:
    IT fixed it thnx MEGATERANG who posted here ,,i was having dropouts randomly,i tried every thing formatted changed routers cried to my ISP
    ran all kinds of troubleshooting programs,changed cables lol...

    this is a copy of the post I read from MEGATERANG === It sounds like the same problem I was having. Every 3 minutes or so, while connected to wifi (that I know was working properly with a strong signal) I would get dropped from the internet and to get back on I had to reboot.

    Here is how I fixed it. It has not happened since.

    (fyi I use windows 7) Go to your control panel. Select Device manager. Then Network adaptors. Choose your wifi link (probably Intel 5100 AGN) and choose adhoc Qos mode and enable the WMM........

    I have windows 8.1 here is how I did it

    in search box search for device manager
    click device manager then look for network adapers

    click network adapters then find your wifi adapter in the drop list (should have a name)

    then right click on the correct wifi adapter

    select properties
    then click advanced tab

    and change it to AdHoc mode click ok close all windows and u should be right to go,,,,

    as im writing this I would of dropped out at lest 5 times so I hope it works for u goodluck...


    I'm trying this. It's about the only "solution" I haven't tried. Nothing else has worked. I do know it's not my router, as my old Toshiba with Win. 7 laptop will stay connected when my new Dell with Win. 8.1 disconnects. I've rolled back drivers, updated drivers, etc etc. I'm hopeful this will fix the problem, although after trying everything else with no luck, I'm not very optimistic.
  18. As I expected, changing to AdHoc mode didn't solve the problem. Still losing connection.
  19. Just in case anyone still has issues and finds this. The VP of the company I worked for had this issue. Every 5 min it would drop. Come back. Just to drop again 5 min later. The provider *castholes were always rude and either read something out of a handbook or placed the blame on his home network.

    This guy spent waaay to much on his home network to have to worry about such things....

    Now that I've rambled long story short. For high bandwidth consuming devices. Double and triple check that your ports are opened appropriately. Static IP addresses on those devices helps as well. And last but not least. The solution that was the cure all for the disconnects and random outages..... Change the DNS and get off that laggy server your ISP is stuffing a quarter of your city onto.

    S*it works.

    Now part of my home network standard deploy and haven't encountered the issue since
  20. Nicky_ said:
    We are having intermittent loss of internet at our house.
    So far we have replaved the phone socket, the phone, the micro filter, the cable to the router, the router!
    Weve had 4 BTopenreach engineers which 3 said there was no issues with the line.
    weve had the line reset and 4th engineer found a fault going from the green box to the exchange so replaced that.
    We are still having the issue, its actually worse having gone off 10 times in the last 9 hours.


    This is exactly the problem I have experienced, apart from only having 2 engineers and finding fault between home and green junction box, which hasn't cured the internet disconnection issues. Have you finally found a solution?

    Steve
  21. SteveDS said:
    Nicky_ said:
    We are having intermittent loss of internet at our house.
    So far we have replaved the phone socket, the phone, the micro filter, the cable to the router, the router!
    Weve had 4 BTopenreach engineers which 3 said there was no issues with the line.
    weve had the line reset and 4th engineer found a fault going from the green box to the exchange so replaced that.
    We are still having the issue, its actually worse having gone off 10 times in the last 9 hours.


    This is exactly the problem I have experienced, apart from only having 2 engineers and finding fault between home and green junction box, which hasn't cured the internet disconnection issues. Have you finally found a solution?

    Steve


    try changing the dns in your router to google and see if it helps. 4.4.4.4 and 8.8.8.8
  22. Indiehi5 said:
    SteveDS said:
    Nicky_ said:
    We are having intermittent loss of internet at our house.
    So far we have replaved the phone socket, the phone, the micro filter, the cable to the router, the router!
    Weve had 4 BTopenreach engineers which 3 said there was no issues with the line.
    weve had the line reset and 4th engineer found a fault going from the green box to the exchange so replaced that.
    We are still having the issue, its actually worse having gone off 10 times in the last 9 hours.


    This is exactly the problem I have experienced, apart from only having 2 engineers and finding fault between home and green junction box, which hasn't cured the internet disconnection issues. Have you finally found a solution?

    Steve


    try changing the dns in your router to google and see if it helps. 4.4.4.4 and 8.8.8.8



    Thank you Indiehi5 - I followed your advice (above) and have only had a couple of Internet drops in the past fortnight, so I think your solution has finally cured my disconnection problems. Thank you for taking the time to post.
  23. I really hope this works you talk a good line let it be true and help me stay connected.
  24. Although this problem has found a solution I would like to add that lately I have had numerous related problems coming to me from people using windows 10 on a LAN connection. Most are older systems with integrated NICs or older firmware PCI/E NIC add-ons. The drivers for these have many throttling data settings in the advanced section of adapter configuration properties. Atheros has been a particular one. The setting "task Overload" setting is the culprit for this brand. Turn it off if you are getting Configuration errors or troubleshooting errors of Gateway unavailable.
  25. Cheers bud, I've been looking at the logs for the router and the recurring message is a dns down message. What you say makes sense though, I'll give th a ring tomorrow and find out. Ill post the results back here


    I have a similar issue, the problem seems to be different security types between the devices, the wifi router uses the older and the Modem uses newer encryption so this sometimes causes a conflict, the older wifi does not support WPS or encoding so sometimes the signal drops. Make sure both devices are set to use the same type of security and see if that helps.
  26. I have a similar issue. I am with suddenlink and using their modem/router. My computer seems to cause this issue where my wife's computer doesn't. I had the IP replace the box, but it began doing the same thing. I am looking into virus and malware issues, but haven't found a thing, have run scan after scan, rebooted modem, changed dns servers, shut off firewall.

    Set up an event trigger to see when I loose DNS. loosing dns is always the first part of the problem, then the modem will reboot itself. Sometimes this happens 10 or 12 times a day, and other times once or twice.

    The solution given here is no solution. I'll keep checking in, I'm sure someone has found the issue.
Ask a new question