Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Asus Maximus 6 Hero

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
October 10, 2013 12:30:25 PM

Does anyone know if two Asus Matrix Platinum 7970's would fit on a Hero. i want to crossfire them but if I can't fit them then I don't want to buy one.

More about : asus maximus hero

a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
October 10, 2013 12:48:20 PM

It will fit. The 7970 is a dual slot gpu, but the spacing from the pcie slots on your mobo are way too far, so there's space for 2 7970s.
m
0
l
October 10, 2013 12:59:04 PM

adimeister said:
It will fit. The 7970 is a dual slot gpu, but the spacing from the pcie slots on your mobo are way too far, so there's space for 2 7970s.


that card is a three slot card. That is the catch.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
October 10, 2013 9:39:39 PM

Oh damn, I knew it was only a dual slot card. Well I guess you can manually measure your hero 6 distance then.. SOrry..
m
0
l
October 10, 2013 10:28:17 PM

adimeister said:
Oh damn, I knew it was only a dual slot card. Well I guess you can manually measure your hero 6 distance then.. SOrry..


Its okay. do you know how much distance is in between each PCIe slot in general?
m
0
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
October 11, 2013 10:29:08 AM

Doing some research, the spacing between each PCIe slot is supposed to be .8inches. So your mobo has Xfire support, that means that the PCIe slot are further extended due to the fact that some cards are thicker. So .8 x 2 = 1.6inches. Then your 7970 has a dimension of 11.02" x 4.72" x 1.57". so 1.6 > 1.57. Should fit bro.
m
0
l
October 11, 2013 10:39:40 AM

adimeister said:
Doing some research, the spacing between each PCIe slot is supposed to be .8inches. So your mobo has Xfire support, that means that the PCIe slot are further extended due to the fact that some cards are thicker. So .8 x 2 = 1.6inches. Then your 7970 has a dimension of 11.02" x 4.72" x 1.57". so 1.6 > 1.57. Should fit bro.


that's like no breathing room. Newegg says its 11.00" x 5.10" x 2.10"
m
0
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
October 11, 2013 1:19:03 PM

I saw the sapphire version bro. You both have the hero 6 and 7970 right?
m
0
l
October 11, 2013 1:22:40 PM

adimeister said:
I saw the sapphire version bro. You both have the hero 6 and 7970 right?


I have the Hero, I haven't bought a card yet.
m
0
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
October 11, 2013 10:07:18 PM

So you don't have a card yet.. Do you plan on getting the r9 280x? That would have the same performance as the 7970 GHz edition, or maybe a LITTLE less, but that would be a 2 slot card though. And I've heard it would be cheaper compared to the introductory price of the 7970 GHz ed.
m
0
l
a c 787 Ĉ ASUS
a c 1505 V Motherboard
October 11, 2013 10:40:45 PM

Tight, but will fit
m
0
l
October 12, 2013 2:02:02 AM

adimeister said:
So you don't have a card yet.. Do you plan on getting the r9 280x? That would have the same performance as the 7970 GHz edition, or maybe a LITTLE less, but that would be a 2 slot card though. And I've heard it would be cheaper compared to the introductory price of the 7970 GHz ed.


there are two cards i want and i can't decide which one i want. They are both 280x..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspxItem=N82E1681...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The first one sold out so that sucks maybe I should have bought it
m
0
l
October 12, 2013 2:02:51 AM

Tradesman1 said:
Tight, but will fit


A man told me he had cards that touched and his heat was fine. Is it true?
m
0
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
October 12, 2013 9:22:31 AM

Well you get the one not sold out. haha And I've seen toms review the matrix r9 280x, it was running pretty cool. If it touches, I'd be scared and wouldn't advice it.
m
0
l
October 12, 2013 9:55:54 AM

adimeister said:
Well you get the one not sold out. haha And I've seen toms review the matrix r9 280x, it was running pretty cool. If it touches, I'd be scared and wouldn't advice it.


If they touch are there anythings I could do like putting some etape rolled up in between them to act as a wedge?
m
0
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
October 12, 2013 12:27:36 PM

I doubt that would help at all, because the GPUs will get very hot. Sometimes it reaches 100C right? So the tape might melt and just destroy your GPU. If you get the r9 280x, that's a dual slot only. So no problems with them..
m
0
l
October 12, 2013 12:35:23 PM

adimeister said:
I doubt that would help at all, because the GPUs will get very hot. Sometimes it reaches 100C right? So the tape might melt and just destroy your GPU. If you get the r9 280x, that's a dual slot only. So no problems with them..

Kinda late for that...haha the 2 slot Asus sold out after I woke up so I bought the 3 slot. I wouldn't think about the tape melting geeze that's crazy.
m
0
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
October 12, 2013 10:09:29 PM

haha I'm just too scared to damage my components with a cheap solution, it may work but you know overtime.. I don't know, that's just me. haha
m
0
l
!