Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Should I upgrade my RAM?

Last response: in Memory
Share
October 11, 2013 12:15:33 AM

I have an Intel i7 2600k machine with an Asus Sabertooth P67 B3 motherboard. Over the last year I've upgraded almost all of my components from older or budget parts, to high end equipment. The only thing that remains "budget" is my RAM.

I have 16GB (4x4) of Kingston ValuRAM. DDR3-1333mhz CAS 9.

My understanding is that numbers-wise this is a pretty solid set-up for memory with this processor. However, I'm wondering if there is any reason that ValuRAM is such a bargain when other higher-end sticks (even from Kingston) offer similar numbers but are much more expensive. Are there other qualities of RAM performance that I'm not aware of? Or is it a combination of overclocking ability, build and marketing?

Basically is there any noticeable gain in performance to be had by upgrading my RAM?
And if so, what would be some good sticks to look at?

I've had a hard time wrapping my head around the intricacies of RAM and it's impact on/means of measuring performance, so I appreciate any responses. I'm interested in performance gains for both video rendering, multitasking, and gaming purposes. Thanks in advance for all your help!

More about : upgrade ram

a b } Memory
October 11, 2013 1:42:23 AM

Frontspac said:
I have an Intel i7 2600k machine with an Asus Sabertooth P67 B3 motherboard. Over the last year I've upgraded almost all of my components from older or budget parts, to high end equipment. The only thing that remains "budget" is my RAM.

I have 16GB (4x4) of Kingston ValuRAM. DDR3-1333mhz CAS 9.

My understanding is that numbers-wise this is a pretty solid set-up for memory with this processor. However, I'm wondering if there is any reason that ValuRAM is such a bargain when other higher-end sticks (even from Kingston) offer similar numbers but are much more expensive. Are there other qualities of RAM performance that I'm not aware of? Or is it a combination of overclocking ability, build and marketing?

Basically is there any noticeable gain in performance to be had by upgrading my RAM?
And if so, what would be some good sticks to look at?

I've had a hard time wrapping my head around the intricacies of RAM and it's impact on/means of measuring performance, so I appreciate any responses. I'm interested in performance gains for both video rendering, multitasking, and gaming purposes. Thanks in advance for all your help!


16GB of RAM is enough for your works. 16GB stands in the status of OVERKILL.

I don't recommend you to upgrade more.

But(say for fun, as many do), you can make your choice regardless what is the reason
m
0
l

Best solution

a c 2132 } Memory
October 11, 2013 8:22:43 AM

Higher freq will improve overall performance and 2x8GB will a little more as it's less stress on the MC (memory controller) if your mobo supports 8GB sticks, would suggest a 2x8GB 1866 or 2133 set
Share
Related resources
October 11, 2013 2:25:14 PM

Thanks for the answers so far. Just to clarify I'm not looking for MORE RAM. I'm wondering about replacing my existing sticks with something else in the same quantity.
m
0
l
a c 2132 } Memory
October 11, 2013 2:30:14 PM

Same thing I'm talking about, mixing DRAM is not a good thing
m
0
l
a b } Memory
October 11, 2013 6:10:25 PM

Frontspac said:
Thanks for the answers so far. Just to clarify I'm not looking for MORE RAM. I'm wondering about replacing my existing sticks with something else in the same quantity.


replacing existing sticks with something else in the same quantity!

That means you want to mix up the KIT with different RAM sticks? No, its not a good idea. You might end up with several issues.

Your current KIT is fine for you.
m
0
l
a c 2132 } Memory
October 11, 2013 6:19:56 PM

Akashdeep said:
Frontspac said:
Thanks for the answers so far. Just to clarify I'm not looking for MORE RAM. I'm wondering about replacing my existing sticks with something else in the same quantity.


replacing existing sticks with something else in the same quantity!

That means you want to mix up the KIT with different RAM sticks? No, its not a good idea. You might end up with several issues.

Your current KIT is fine for you.

_____________________________

Doesn't say anything about mixing, is already maxed out at 4 sticks, talking about replacing, so higher freq, better performance is only logical theing
m
0
l
a b } Memory
October 11, 2013 6:50:21 PM

Tradesman1 said:
Akashdeep said:
Frontspac said:
Thanks for the answers so far. Just to clarify I'm not looking for MORE RAM. I'm wondering about replacing my existing sticks with something else in the same quantity.


replacing existing sticks with something else in the same quantity!

That means you want to mix up the KIT with different RAM sticks? No, its not a good idea. You might end up with several issues.

Your current KIT is fine for you.

_____________________________

Doesn't say anything about mixing, is already maxed out at 4 sticks, talking about replacing, so higher freq, better performance is only logical theing


No, I didn't say about Mixing. I have only quoted his mixing query line as an wonder expression. :) 

See, I pulled out his say and made with bold tag with an exclamatory mark.
m
0
l
a c 2132 } Memory
October 11, 2013 7:05:32 PM

replacing 16GB with 16GB - people do it all the time
m
0
l
October 13, 2013 5:37:57 PM

Yeah, i mean replacing all four sticks (or going to 8x8, or going down to only 8GB of better RAM). I know not to mix and match.

I just want to know if there's going to be a --noticeable-- performance gain above CAS9 at 1333Mhz with the processor/mobo that I'm currently using.

I also want to know what the difference is between higher end performance rams and cheap stuff if their numbers are the same. Like, why is CAS9 PC1333 "Xtreme Whatever" RAM more expensive than my ValuRAM with the same specs. Is it just build quality or OCing ability, or are there other factors I'm unaware of?
m
0
l
a c 2132 } Memory
October 13, 2013 5:55:59 PM

If the same timings, it can vary, might be better IC's, materials, though many sets advertised as High performance - aren't, it's just advertising....true performance DRAM normally is sets of say 1600/7 1866/8 2133/9 2400/10 - I laugh whan I see some of these sets at 1600/9 1600/10 and even 11 being touted as high performance - the better the sticks and performance ythe more you will notice, might not see much between 1600/9 and 1866/10, but will more likely notice 1866/8 - also more DRAM can improve overall system performacne as there's less of a need for a page file, more is held in DRAM
m
0
l
!