hd 7950 to replace gtx 470sli on 2560x1440

smoggy12345

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
Heelloooooo all,

Got gtx 470 sli setup at the moment which is providing plenty of horsepower, problem is the VRAM.

While I can get 45+ FPS average on BF3 and equivalent games on the highest settings. The minimum FPS is about 6 and is just jerky experience whenever you spin round quickly. I am sure this is because the VRAM is saturated.

Sooooooo,

What I am thinking is 3gb hd7950 (BARGAIN at the moment with 3games!!) now with a view to get another, maybe in a years time, when 1 card on its own starts to struggle. Only thing is I don't wanna run into the same problem I have now where I have plenty of grunt but not enough VRAM.

Question is do you think 3GB VRAM will be enough for a few years and once a full 3gb Ram is being utilised, will the 2 cards in Xfire be enough to pump out 30+ FPS constantly.

Never had discrete AMD cards either always preferred Nvidia. But they're just doing it wrong these days. They're too much money and STILL only offering 2gb cards on the high end! Pointless for SLI.....

Others may correct me but I've yet to see more than 2Gb memory use on my 7950 (Max Payne 3-maxed out )...Sorry, couldn't resist the pun ;). So, no, I don't think 3Gb is going to be any sort of issue for the next few years.
You'll probably have a job securing a new 7950 for CF later on, though.
Be aware, AMD cards need better cooling than their Nvidia rivals so avoid those with single fan coolers, except this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161420 and it's VERY large!