Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

gtx 690 or titan

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
October 11, 2013 3:27:23 AM

I am building a new PC and am not sure weather I should get the Titan or the 690 my purpose is gaming and designing such as photoshop, autodesk alias

More about : gtx 690 titan

October 11, 2013 3:30:59 AM

Hi!

Well, as far as performance goes the 690 still holds 1st place due to it's dual GPU design, it's basically intergrated 2-way SLI. However, if you were planning on upgrading to a second card in the future, then the Titan would be more beneficial, as the Titna has about 80% of the performance of the 690 but on a single GPU.

So, if you only want one card, get the 690, but if you plan on upgrading to SLI in the future, get the Titan. =)
m
0
l
October 11, 2013 3:41:00 AM

Could you provide a little more information?
What resolution will you be gaming at, what CPU do you have (any overclocks) and your PSU would be a good start.

In absolute terms, the GTX 690 is faster under gaming workloads.
That said, I would personally prefer a Titan as its single GPU core (vs the GTX 690's two) will give you more consistent results and will avoid any SLI driver issues.

Either way, your best option is to wait another week until the R9 290X is released.
Even if you are not interested in an AMD card, a high performance release from AMD should put more pressure on nVidia to drop the prices of their high end cards.
m
0
l
Related resources
October 11, 2013 3:42:50 AM

outlw6669 said:
Could you provide a little more information?
What resolution will you be gaming at, what CPU do you have (any overclocks) and your PSU would be a good start.

In absolute terms, the GTX 690 is faster under gaming workloads.
That said, I would personally prefer a Titan as its single GPU core (vs the GTX 690's two) will give you more consistent results and will avoid any SLI driver issues.

Either way, your best option is to wait another week until the R9 290X is released.
Even if you are not interested in an AMD card, a high performance release from AMD should put more pressure on nVidia to drop the prices of their high end cards.

i5 4670k is the cpu i want and i want to play all games maxed out at 1080p

m
0
l
October 11, 2013 3:50:38 AM

At 1080p a Titan might even be considered overkill, but would be the card I would chose from the two; the extra power a GTX 690 has would be wasted at this resolution.

My recommendation then would be to wait a week for the AMD release and nVidia's probable price drops, pick up a Titan/R9 290X at a lower price and invest the difference in a 1440p monitor.

Your processor should have no issues driving any of these cards and will still have a good amount of overclocking headroom when pared with an aftermarket cooler.
m
0
l
October 11, 2013 4:06:10 AM

outlw6669 said:
At 1080p a Titan might even be considered overkill, but would be the card I would chose from the two; the extra power a GTX 690 has would be wasted at this resolution.

My recommendation then would be to wait a week for the AMD release and nVidia's probable price drops, pick up a Titan/R9 290X at a lower price and invest the difference in a 1440p monitor.

Your processor should have no issues driving any of these cards and will still have a good amount of overclocking headroom when pared with an aftermarket cooler.

Well then looks like i will go for a titan thanks . And also will this be future proof
m
0
l

Best solution

October 11, 2013 4:18:59 AM

With 6GB of RAM I would consider it much more future proofed than a GTX 690 that has only 2GB RAM/GPU.
Nothing is truly future proof though; in a few years it will be outdated same as anything else.
Share
a b 4 Gaming
October 11, 2013 4:30:40 AM

Just a little butting in but I'd suggest going for the GTX780 instead, it's barely slower than the Titan and good deal less expensive.
m
0
l
October 11, 2013 5:18:11 AM

coozie7 said:
Just a little butting in but I'd suggest going for the GTX780 instead, it's barely slower than the Titan and good deal less expensive.

the gtx 780 is good but am in for titan will last longer
m
0
l
November 28, 2013 12:42:02 AM

askerforpc said:
coozie7 said:
Just a little butting in but I'd suggest going for the GTX780 instead, it's barely slower than the Titan and good deal less expensive.

the gtx 780 is good but am in for titan will last longer


Can you tell me if the titan is working well with Alias or not? If so what version and year of alias are you running? I am going to be building a computer in a few weeks and i can't figure out if the card will work!
m
0
l
!