FX-8150, Severely high temperatures under stress

TheIronFistOfDeath

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2013
Recently, I decided to overclock my FX-8150 processor, rather than buy a new one. So, I replaced the stock fan/heatsink with a Cooler Master Hyper 212+, and I replaced the stock fan on it with 2 JetFlos in a push/pull configuration. I reapplied the thermal paste, after a thorough cleaning, put everything back together, and within 2 minutes any stress test forces a shut down.

Mind you, I haven't overclocked anything yet. I just wanted a baseline. It seems like any load is forcing the temperatures into completely unsafe ranges for this processor (61C is the max safe temperature). For instance, I have Guild Wars 2 running in the background, not being played, and I'm reading 62C. With the stock CPU fan, I never went above 61 under load, and I refuse to believe the stock heatsink/fan was better than one of the most praised CPU heatsinks/fans around.

So far I have cleaned and reapplied the thermal compound. The first time I used the credit card method, this time I used the dot method. I've also tried using the stock fan that came with the 212+ (didn't work as well, switched back). I have a large case and have done fairly solid cable management, so airflow isn't an issue. I know the thermal compound will help the temperatures after it sets/cures, but only to the tune of 1-5C, which really isn't of much help at this point.

I'm out of ideas, so any input is appreciated.

Solution
61C is the PACKAGE surface safe temperature.

What you see with CPU temperature reporting tools is the JUNCTION temperature inside the CPU die itself and this temperature can relatively safely go up to 90C.

On Ivy Bridge and Haswell CPUs, the maximum allowable die temperature is 105C.

InvalidError

Titan
61C is the PACKAGE surface safe temperature.

What you see with CPU temperature reporting tools is the JUNCTION temperature inside the CPU die itself and this temperature can relatively safely go up to 90C.

On Ivy Bridge and Haswell CPUs, the maximum allowable die temperature is 105C.

Solution

TheIronFistOfDeath

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2013

Ah, good to know. Unfortunately, under stress, the system still shuts down due to, what I can only assume is, temperature. Although, when running the stress tests, the reported junction temperature would have been pushing into the mid to upper 80s before shutting down.