FX 8350, i5 3570K or i5 4670K WHICH ONE?!

knighty437

Honorable
Feb 10, 2013
Hi guys,
virtually the title says it all. I want to get a new CPU but I'm undecided. A few months ago I was set on getting the i5 3570K but then thought I could get the i5 4670K because it's newer and will presumably last longer (using some logic). I then was watching some videos and saw that maybe FX 8350 would be better.
I use my computer for gaming- along with the usual office work, listening to music etc. I really want to be able to play Battlefield 4 and Watchdogs- when they both come out- and I heard that they will perform better with the FX because it has more cores- even though a single core is less powerful than an intel core (please correct me if I'm wrong though).
In terms of specs I have an MSI GTX 670 OC, a Zalman Z11-plus case, XFX 850 Black edition semi-modular PSU and 8GB of ram. I was thinking of getting a ASUS sabertooth 990FX motherboard if I got the FX 8350, the Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H for the i5 3570K or the MSI Z87-G45 GAMING motherboard of I got the i5 4670K.
I would really appreciate it guys if you could help me decide. I'd only be playing at a resolution of 1920x1080 and I'd like to play at high settings. I don't have any plans to use SLI, stream any of my gaming content. I like to have Spotify or iTunes open occasionally whilst playing I just don't want to spend more on a setup that I don't really need or were the performance isn't really that different to a cheaper set up.

knighty437

Honorable
Feb 10, 2013

It's currently an AMD II X4 640 CPU clocked at 3.00 GHz, so nothing fancy about it at all.

lzztopz

Honorable
Mar 3, 2013
I'd recommend you get the FX8350 if you don't plan on upgrading your motherboard or cpu solution within the next 2 years. This is like comparing an extremely powerful Core 2 duo, to a very weak Core 2 quad, at the time of concept a number of people preferred the Core 2 duo, simply because quad cores were unneeded, on the other hand, there are a number of games that will run perfectly on the Core 2 quad, but won't even run on the Core 2 duo. Consider that coming up very soon, a number of games will optimize for 8 cores (Manle api, BF4, expect more) and as such will benefit from the 8 core system.

Also, if you were wondering about the rampant heat issues of the FX8350, a quick undervolt in the bios of two notches down will solve all heat issues, even with the stock cooler.

If you want to play games for a couple of years, and you WILL upgrade, than go for the i5, if you don't want to have to worry about upgrading, and can still upgrade (Likely without having to switch motherboards) than I would go with the 8350, seeing that the differences in frame rates are VERY minimal, at most you'll see a 5-10 frame difference, where you GPU will make up for.

So why is the I5 faster than the FX8350 in the BF4 benchmark above?

lzztopz

Honorable
Mar 3, 2013

Mantle optimization has yet to be incorporated on the beta and the game is still running in Dx11, and as such cannot take full advantage of the 8 cores. I'm willing to bet when mantle comes out that the game will have a large preference towards 8 core devices.

That is the problem, the FX8150 was supposed to be the best thing since sliced Cheese before it got released and we all know where that went. I simply do not belief it until I see it!
The only reason I Buy FX8350 is because it is cheaper than "K" series I5 not because it is better. It can sometimes be grabbed for $170 and is a very good CPU for the price, I have two in my household but I have two I5's as well.

It all depends on the threading of the game, the 8350 performs superb in BF4 (There are a billion benchmarks out there, we can twist the facts all we want) and will likely have advantages in newer console games, but I would go 8320 (Same thing, just add overclock) and OC it to 4.4GHz with a Hyper 212 EVO. The 8350 is far better than the 8150, that was like Phenom X4 9950 vs Phenom II X4 965BE. All in all, there is no real wrong way to go..

If you are not planning on running brand new console games or have lots of Quad threaded games> than the 3570K with a 212 EVO is a no-brainer, it runs cooler than the 4670K, and with a super easy 200MHz OC, is on par with the 4670K.

FX8350 performs well but the I5 better in all the ones I have seen http://www.hardwarepal.com/battlefield-4-cpu-gpu-benchmarks/4/
The real argument is why to buy it, because it cost less or because it is better! I select costs less.

FX8350 performs well but the I5 better in all the ones I have seen http://www.hardwarepal.com/battlefield-4-cpu-gpu-benchmarks/4/
The real argument is why to buy it, because it cost less or because it is better! I select costs less.
[/quotemsg]

There are some cases, the 8320 is the best buy TBH, 3570K a close second, the OP can't go wrong with either:
LL

http--www.gamegpu.ru-images-stories-Test_GPU-Action-Battlefield_4_Beta-test-bf_4_proz_2.jpg