Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Saw this computer i might buy, but wondering what kind of PSU to get

Last response: in Components
Share
October 12, 2013 10:28:05 AM

I'm a newbie when it comes to buying parts btw.

Processor Type AMD A10-5700
Processor Speed 3.4 GHz
Processor Cores 4
RAM 8 GB
Hard Drive Capacity 1 TB
Hard Drive Speed (Revolutions Per Minute) 7200
Optical Drive 16X DVD+/-R/RW SuperMulti
Graphics Card AMD Radeon HD 7660
Pre-loaded Operating System Windows 8
Graphics
Dedicated Video Memory No
Shared Video Memory Not Applicable
Video Memory Not Applicable
TV Tuner Not Applicable
Display
Built-in Monitor No
HDCP Compliant Yes
Screen Size/Type Not Applicable
Native Screen Resolution Not Applicable
Touchscreen Display Not Applicable
Audio
Sound Card NIL
Audio Output High Definition Audio with Stereo Support
Speakers No
Speaker Wattage Not Applicable
Integrated Microphone Not Applicable
Microphone Input 1 x Front
Line-In Input Not Applicable
Line Out Not Applicable
Digital Input Not Applicable
Digital Output Not Applicable
Networking
Ethernet Port 10/100/1000
Integrated WiFi 802.11a/b/g/n
Integrated Bluetooth Yes - 4.0
Inputs & Outputs
Webcam No
Keyboard GTW USB
Mouse Optical
Remote No
Modem No
USB Ports 2 x USB 2.0 Front; 4 x USB 2.0 Back; 2 x USB 3.0 Back
FireWire (IEEE 1394) Not Applicable
Card Reader SD
E-SATA Not Applicable
VGA Output 1 Back
DVI Output No
HDMI Output 1 Back
Component Output Not Applicable
S-Video Output Not Applicable
Composite Output Not Applicable
Other Input or Output Ports Not Applicable
Computing Features
Processor Cache 4 MB L2
System Bus NIL
Available Hard Drive Bays 2 (1 Available)
Available Optical Bays 2 (1 Available)
Available PCIe Slots 1 (1 Available)
Available PCI Slots Not Applicable
Available AGP Slots Not Applicable
Available Memory Slots 2 Memory Slots (Available)
Removable Storage No
Power Supply 300 W
Energy Star Qualified Yes
October 12, 2013 11:14:18 AM

you would not need a PSU since the 300w that is included should power the system fine!
m
0
l

Best solution

a c 145 ) Power supply
October 12, 2013 11:22:09 AM

+1^
The "graphics card" listed is actually an on-die GPU. Part of the CPU package. If however, you plan on adding a discrete card for better gaming graphics, you will need to let us know what the gfx card you decide on is.
Share
Related resources
October 12, 2013 4:03:56 PM

clutchc said:
+1^
The "graphics card" listed is actually an on-die GPU. Part of the CPU package. If however, you plan on adding a discrete card for better gaming graphics, you will need to let us know what the gfx card you decide on is.


Im not familiar with the term "on-die GPU", but if i get a discrete card will i have to replace the on-die gpu, or will they be used together? and would you reccomend replacing the graphics card i have? if so, then with what? thanks for the answer btw
m
0
l
October 12, 2013 4:26:51 PM

kappapng said:
clutchc said:
+1^
The "graphics card" listed is actually an on-die GPU. Part of the CPU package. If however, you plan on adding a discrete card for better gaming graphics, you will need to let us know what the gfx card you decide on is.


Im not familiar with the term "on-die GPU", but if i get a discrete card will i have to replace the on-die gpu, or will they be used together? and would you reccomend replacing the graphics card i have? if so, then with what? thanks for the answer btw

it depends on what you are doing, for light gaming the on-die GPU will be fine
m
0
l
a c 145 ) Power supply
October 12, 2013 8:28:23 PM

On-die means that the GPU is part of the same unit as the CPU. All on the same chip. That GPU will be OK for most games at 720p resolution (1366x768) or lower. If you get a discrete card, you will connect your monitor to it rather than the motherboard's video ports. The on-die GPU will then not be supplying the video, just the discrete card.

If you keep the small PSU you have now, you can upgrade to almost any AMD HD 7750 or this particular Nvidia GTX 650: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... Neither requires a power cable for aux power.
m
0
l
October 12, 2013 9:34:43 PM

clutchc said:
On-die means that the GPU is part of the same unit as the CPU. All on the same chip. That GPU will be OK for most games at 720p resolution (1366x768) or lower. If you get a discrete card, you will connect your monitor to it rather than the motherboard's video ports. The on-die GPU will then not be supplying the video, just the discrete card.

If you keep the small PSU you have now, you can upgrade to almost any AMD HD 7750 or this particular Nvidia GTX 650: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... Neither requires a power cable for aux power.


Can you help me decide between the one you linked and this: http://shop.amd.com/us/All/Detail/GraphicCard/HD-667X-Z...

because i was told that Radeon HD 7750 showed very little performance gain compared to just the HD 7750 by itself and that 6670/7660 would provide better results

(dumb question) Is the one you linked even compatible with AMD A10-5700?
m
0
l
a c 145 ) Power supply
October 13, 2013 2:43:29 PM

The HD 7660 incorporated in the A10-5700 is weaker than either the HD 7750 or the GTX 650. The HD 6670 is weaker than those cards also: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/535?vs=613

Any discrete PCIe graphic card is compatible with any motherboard that has a PCIe x16 expansion slot. The CPU doesn't matter.
m
0
l
!