Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Memory Upgrade Battlefield 4

Last response: in Memory
Share
October 12, 2013 7:48:29 PM

Hello there, I'm upgrading my PC's ram... I currently have Corsair Dominator 6GB (3x2Gb) at 1333 mHz... I just gotTwo Corsair Vengeance 8 Gb (2x4Gb) at 1600 mHz... should I use the 8 Gb only or should I combine any of the 1333 MHz and increase the overall ram... I have read that the 8 Gb of 1600 MHz alone is going to do the job and is better than combining any of the other of 1333 mHz... Please help... Thank you
Specs: Asus Rampage III Extreme with Intel i7 975 Extreme at 3.33
a b } Memory
October 12, 2013 7:58:39 PM

8GB of memory is more than enough for BF4, or gaming in general, for now. You should never mix memory sticks of different sizes, timings, voltages, frequencies. Always buy memory sets from a single pack because they've been tested to work.
m
0
l
October 12, 2013 8:02:36 PM

Although there is nothing stopping you from doing this I would recommend you don't, as combining ram of different sizes in odd configurations, can lead to stability issues in the future. Furthermore, the different RAM speeds would be incompatible, leading to other problems. So, all in all, I strongly recommend you do not combine these sticks, and just go with the 8gb.
m
0
l
Related resources
October 12, 2013 8:03:34 PM

BF4 (at least the beta) is very RAM intensive. It benefits from higher bandwidth, lower latency, AND high capacity. Have you opened the kit you just bought? It would be a shame not to be running in triple channel on an X58 setup, especially one that can still beat any AMD CPU out there if configured properly. If you can spring for it, this kit will work wonders with that CPU.
m
0
l
a b } Memory
October 12, 2013 8:04:31 PM

You don't want to mix and match RAM, just use the 8GB of 1600MHz, what is the CL of the 1600MHz RAM CL9?
m
0
l
a b } Memory
October 12, 2013 8:19:10 PM

use only the higher mem in pairs dont use the slower mem because your pc may not work or if it does will revert all mem to the slower modules,
m
0
l
October 12, 2013 8:58:14 PM

Thank you all for the solutions... I will add the two modules for a total of 8 Gb ram... Thank you again! you are the best :) 
m
0
l
October 12, 2013 9:03:04 PM

cuecuemore said:
BF4 (at least the beta) is very RAM intensive. It benefits from higher bandwidth, lower latency, AND high capacity. Have you opened the kit you just bought? It would be a shame not to be running in triple channel on an X58 setup, especially one that can still beat any AMD CPU out there if configured properly. If you can spring for it, this kit will work wonders with that CPU.

How can I run it in triple channel? I was looking for the proper configuration but I haven't found anything appropriate... what's the best way?
Thank you again

m
0
l
a b } Memory
October 12, 2013 9:10:47 PM

I am sorry as of this date I can no longer help people at toms I was told by king I wasnt able to help you folks hes right I only have 20 years experiance myself with computers but king 111 is correct hes been here since july 2013 hes got your answers I cant allow people like him to act the way he does to good help like he did me or and others so as of now I will no longer help folks at toms I will miss this because weather right or wrong I felt I helped someone so wish you luck on your problems.
m
0
l
October 12, 2013 9:42:08 PM

If you populate the three black slots with DIMMs of the same size (at a bare minimum, preferably 3 kitted DIMMs), it should run in triple channel automatically. So you can drop in 8GB and run in dual channel, or 6/12/24 and run in triple channel.
m
0
l
a b } Memory
October 12, 2013 9:47:58 PM

mcmetauten said:
cuecuemore said:
BF4 (at least the beta) is very RAM intensive. It benefits from higher bandwidth, lower latency, AND high capacity. Have you opened the kit you just bought? It would be a shame not to be running in triple channel on an X58 setup, especially one that can still beat any AMD CPU out there if configured properly. If you can spring for it, this kit will work wonders with that CPU.

How can I run it in triple channel? I was looking for the proper configuration but I haven't found anything appropriate... what's the best way?
Thank you again



You can run the memory on the motherboard fine, tri-channel setup is what it was designed for, but running 2x4 won't cause an issue and is supported.
m
0
l
October 12, 2013 9:48:59 PM

So, Is better to return this and invest in 3 cards better=12 Gb right?
m
0
l
October 12, 2013 10:04:25 PM

edogawa said:
mcmetauten said:
cuecuemore said:
BF4 (at least the beta) is very RAM intensive. It benefits from higher bandwidth, lower latency, AND high capacity. Have you opened the kit you just bought? It would be a shame not to be running in triple channel on an X58 setup, especially one that can still beat any AMD CPU out there if configured properly. If you can spring for it, this kit will work wonders with that CPU.

How can I run it in triple channel? I was looking for the proper configuration but I haven't found anything appropriate... what's the best way?
Thank you again



You can run the memory on the motherboard fine, tri-channel setup is what it was designed for, but running 2x4 won't cause an issue and is supported.


But is better the triple channel right? I will buy one card on Newegg... I think is the same... will this do the triple channel right... this is the cards I bought ... Corsair Vengeance 8 GB ( 2 x 4 GB ) DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800) 240-Pin DDR3 Memory Kit for Core i3, i5, i7 and Platforms SDRAM CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9

this is the one I will buy at Newegg... CORSAIR Vengeance 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ4GX3M1A1600C9
The one for Newegg is an oldest version but same latency and specs... I hope it works... but anyways I will run it for now with the 8 Gb because I have to upgrade the video card too... :( 
m
0
l

Best solution

a b } Memory
October 12, 2013 10:33:08 PM

You could do that, but the board will work find regardless, it's even tested with 4x2GB under the memory QVL supporting 8GB if that makes you feel better.


6 DIMM Slots

• 2 DIMM: Supports two (2) modules inserted into slot A1 and B1 as one pair of Dual-channel memory configuration
• 3 DIMM: Supports three (3) modules inserted into the orange slots (A1, B1 and C1) as one set of Triple-channel memory configuration
• 4 DIMM: Supports four (4) modules inserted into the orange slots (A1, B1 and C1) and the black slot A2 as one set of Triple-channel memory configuration
• 6 DIMM: Supports six (6) modules inserted into both the orange slots and the black slots as two set of Triple-channel memory configuration.
Share
October 13, 2013 1:56:41 PM

Thanks a lot is running super fine ... gracias :) ))!
m
0
l
!