Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

New PC build not working properly... possible issues with the motherboard?

Last response: in Systems
Share
October 12, 2013 11:28:30 PM

Hello, recently I have purchased all my parts (listed below) which are all brand new and I have built my first PC but im having one issue in particular. As I finished the build and I booted it up everything seems to work great for about three seconds and then the motherboard speaker beeps three times which are three short beeps, then it turns off and continues that same pattern. I did some research to find out that it is a base 64k RAM memory failure. I readjusted the RAM, took each of them out one at a time to see if it was one in particular, and took out the RAM completely. The three short beeps continue no matter what I do. I tried taking it apart piece by piece and rebooting but no such luck. I really hope its not an issue with my parts but I dont know what the exact issue is and how to fix it. Does anyone have any suggestions what to try next?? thanks...

CPU- Intel Core i5-3470 Ivy Bridge 3.2GHz (3.6GHz Turbo)
Graphics Card- EVGA 02G-P4-3657-KR GeForce GTX 650 Ti BOOST 2GB 1
Internal Hard Drive- Seagate Barracuda STBD2000101 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Ca
Memory- CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM
PSU- CORSAIR CX600M
Motherboard- MSI LGA1155/Intel H61/DDR3/A&GbE/MicroATX Motherboard H61M-P31 (W8)

a b V Motherboard
October 13, 2013 12:29:42 AM

Not to be bias but it sounds like a faulty motherboard, which MSI is famous for. Would have stuck with an ASrock or ASUS motherboard.
m
0
l
October 13, 2013 12:35:13 AM

Problems like these can be really frustrating. It's either the RAM or motherboard which might be at fault, and as you've almost eliminated the RAM it could be a faulty board.
Before you RMA the board, try breadboarding it without the graphics card (use the onboard VGA) or HDD.
Make sure CPU and RAM are fully seated. If it still beeps - contact your supplier.
m
0
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
October 13, 2013 12:54:27 AM

Quote:
Memory Standard
DDR3 1333/1066

Your motherboard is not designed for the
Quote:
CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
memory you have installed. Not sure if that is the problem as I am unsure if the motherboard would downgrade the speed of the RAM, but if you have a spare set of DDR3 1333/1066 laying around, I would try resetting the CMOS (Check your motherboard's manual) and then inserting the proper RAM.

However, the fact you still receive the beeping when there is NO memory loaded into the motherboard makes me agree with ddbtkd456, that you may in fact have a faulty motherboard. Perhaps try clearing the CMOS anyway, and then trying the stick-by-stick procedure again and see if you get any different results. (Double check the sticks are pressed firmly in place, I have had my fair share of problems resulting from a stick of ram not being completely pressed into place and I never realize it until after all the diagnosing).

Best of luck to ya and keep us posted. - Sub
Share
a b V Motherboard
October 13, 2013 12:57:37 AM

SirSub42 said:
Quote:
Memory Standard
DDR3 1333/1066

Your motherboard is not designed for the
Quote:
CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
memory you have installed. Not sure if that is the problem as I am unsure if the motherboard would downgrade the speed of the RAM, but if you have a spare set of DDR3 1333/1066 laying around, I would try resetting the CMOS (Check your motherboard's manual) and then inserting the proper RAM.

However, the fact you still receive the beeping when there is NO memory loaded into the motherboard makes me agree with ddbtkd456, that you may in fact have a faulty motherboard. Perhaps try clearing the CMOS anyway, and then trying the stick-by-stick procedure again and see if you get any different results. (Double check the sticks are pressed firmly in place, I have had my fair share of problems resulting from a stick of ram not being completely pressed into place and I never realize it until after all the diagnosing).

Best of luck to ya and keep us posted. - Sub


True I agree ^^^best answer, i did forget that your RAM isn't compatible with that motherboard, very nice point out by the way SirSub42 and awesome picture, I love Redbull, however if you over exceeded your RAM compatibilities then yes it would cause the triple beep of death as I call it. You always want to check this as it can very well ruin your motherboard if forced in wrong and started (not saying yours is, but I have seen it happen).
m
0
l
October 13, 2013 7:08:24 AM

ddbtkd456 said:
SirSub42 said:
Quote:
Memory Standard
DDR3 1333/1066

Your motherboard is not designed for the
Quote:
CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
memory you have installed. Not sure if that is the problem as I am unsure if the motherboard would downgrade the speed of the RAM, but if you have a spare set of DDR3 1333/1066 laying around, I would try resetting the CMOS (Check your motherboard's manual) and then inserting the proper RAM.

However, the fact you still receive the beeping when there is NO memory loaded into the motherboard makes me agree with ddbtkd456, that you may in fact have a faulty motherboard. Perhaps try clearing the CMOS anyway, and then trying the stick-by-stick procedure again and see if you get any different results. (Double check the sticks are pressed firmly in place, I have had my fair share of problems resulting from a stick of ram not being completely pressed into place and I never realize it until after all the diagnosing).

Best of luck to ya and keep us posted. - Sub


True I agree ^^^best answer, i did forget that your RAM isn't compatible with that motherboard, very nice point out by the way SirSub42 and awesome picture, I love Redbull, however if you over exceeded your RAM compatibilities then yes it would cause the triple beep of death as I call it. You always want to check this as it can very well ruin your motherboard if forced in wrong and started (not saying yours is, but I have seen it happen).


---Hey guys I appreciate all your responses. I just tried clearing the CMOS using the motherboard battery and booted it up without any RAM. I got the three short beeps again. I tried booting it up with one stick of RAM and made sure the RAM was firmly in place but the same thing occurred. Is it reaasonable to say after all this, it could very well be a faulty motherboard if it is continuing to beep three times even when there is no RAM inserted into it? If that is the case then I guess I will go ahead and RMA the motherboard. But I guess I am wondering if I should try another RAM to see if it is compatible, however, it just seems like the motherboard is faulty to me. This is my first PC build, I am literally a fresh noobie in the pc building world so all your responses are much appreciated!
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
October 13, 2013 8:07:48 AM

My guess would be defective motherboard at this point. If it was the RAM, you should get a different error when there is no RAM installed as opposed to when the faulty RAM was inserted. Best of luck with the RMA - Sub
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
October 13, 2013 11:23:05 AM

Johnny Faraj said:
ddbtkd456 said:
SirSub42 said:
Quote:
Memory Standard
DDR3 1333/1066

Your motherboard is not designed for the
Quote:
CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
memory you have installed. Not sure if that is the problem as I am unsure if the motherboard would downgrade the speed of the RAM, but if you have a spare set of DDR3 1333/1066 laying around, I would try resetting the CMOS (Check your motherboard's manual) and then inserting the proper RAM.

However, the fact you still receive the beeping when there is NO memory loaded into the motherboard makes me agree with ddbtkd456, that you may in fact have a faulty motherboard. Perhaps try clearing the CMOS anyway, and then trying the stick-by-stick procedure again and see if you get any different results. (Double check the sticks are pressed firmly in place, I have had my fair share of problems resulting from a stick of ram not being completely pressed into place and I never realize it until after all the diagnosing).

Best of luck to ya and keep us posted. - Sub


True I agree ^^^best answer, i did forget that your RAM isn't compatible with that motherboard, very nice point out by the way SirSub42 and awesome picture, I love Redbull, however if you over exceeded your RAM compatibilities then yes it would cause the triple beep of death as I call it. You always want to check this as it can very well ruin your motherboard if forced in wrong and started (not saying yours is, but I have seen it happen).


---Hey guys I appreciate all your responses. I just tried clearing the CMOS using the motherboard battery and booted it up without any RAM. I got the three short beeps again. I tried booting it up with one stick of RAM and made sure the RAM was firmly in place but the same thing occurred. Is it reaasonable to say after all this, it could very well be a faulty motherboard if it is continuing to beep three times even when there is no RAM inserted into it? If that is the case then I guess I will go ahead and RMA the motherboard. But I guess I am wondering if I should try another RAM to see if it is compatible, however, it just seems like the motherboard is faulty to me. This is my first PC build, I am literally a fresh noobie in the pc building world so all your responses are much appreciated!


Before you RMA I would call them and ask for my money back and go out and get an ASrock or an ASUS (that way you don't have to buy new ram as well. Here would be my suggestion:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

Motherboard: ASRock B75M-DGS R2.0 Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($58.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $58.98
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-10-13 14:22 EDT-0400)
m
0
l
!