FX-8350 Temperature Concerns

Matt Fulcher

Honorable
Aug 12, 2013
s4a1.jpg
[/URL]

The max temperature was while running Prime95 and I have a Thermaltake Contac 16 cooler on it. For some reason I don't believe these temperatures. I'm running at stock speeds.

Solution
because amd cpus don't really give you an accurate temp reading. They don't even have a thermometer on the chip. the temp is the result of some mathematical algorithm or something... i don't understand the science... i just know it can be off by as much as 20C.

the good news is it's usually off by a consistent amount. from the numbers you're posting i'd guess your cpu is probably by around +15C hotter then the temps it's reporting. I'm basing this on both the max and min temps... +15C seems to match up pretty close to what i'd expect; especially with that underpowered cpu cooler.

so that 46C is really 61C... that would match the rest of the board temps that are being reported.

Matt Fulcher

Honorable
Aug 12, 2013

I just got this a few days ago. But, it seems way to cold seeing as i only have a 92mm fan on my heat sink. Plus my old CPU (Athlon II X4 640) idled at 35-50 degrees

james77

Honorable
Aug 26, 2013

You should be happy it's that cold hahaha. It will still get hotter when you start overclocking it. :)

Matt Fulcher

Honorable
Aug 12, 2013

Okay, thanks for the reassurance.

nope. those temps are probably wrong... this is what you should do, update the bios and grab core temp... see what it tells you instead. frankly, your cpu cooler isn't great so you should be seeing significantly higher temps. lets see what happens after a bios update.

the problem is the motherboard is reporting ambient case temps in the high 30's low 40s... which means your case is very hot... likely from poor airflow and a hot cpu. which means your cpu is likely much hotter then this.

Matt Fulcher

Honorable
Aug 12, 2013

The bios is the latest version.

because amd cpus don't really give you an accurate temp reading. They don't even have a thermometer on the chip. the temp is the result of some mathematical algorithm or something... i don't understand the science... i just know it can be off by as much as 20C.

the good news is it's usually off by a consistent amount. from the numbers you're posting i'd guess your cpu is probably by around +15C hotter then the temps it's reporting. I'm basing this on both the max and min temps... +15C seems to match up pretty close to what i'd expect; especially with that underpowered cpu cooler.

so that 46C is really 61C... that would match the rest of the board temps that are being reported.

Solution