Solved

GPU Crashing On Certain Applications

Hi there,

I've had my computer for around a year with a nvidia GTX 670 in it. Lately, every time I try to play a game or stress my GPU out, it starts screen tearing, screen goes black, screen comes back with red horizontal lines running across the screen, and then my entire system freezes and I need to hard shut down.

I have the 3770k which was clocked at 4.5ghz until my GPU started crashing, then I removed the overclock.

Any suggestions on what might be wrong? I've tried cleaning the card, uninstall/reinstall older driver versions, and reinstalling windows. None have worked. I'm assuming the card has gone bad?

Thanks in advance!
Taylor
10 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about gpu crashing applications
  1. Best answer
    Welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums,
    Likely your PSU is no longer up to the task of running the GTX670. What is the make and model of your PSU?
  2. C12Friedman said:
    Welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums,
    Likely your PSU is no longer up to the task of running the GTX670. What is the make and model of your PSU?


    Thanks for the reply!
    I have a 650w Antec EA-650
  3. That is an awesome PSU so I'm going to refocus (for now). Have you had any issues that you've noticed with peripherals (mouse, keyboard, printers) at the same time or just before computer freezes?
    I ask because I recently had an issue that took far too long to troubleshoot (at least for my comfort). I too was looking at possible PSU, or graphics, or drivers, or... turned out to be my mouse was going bad - once I swapped my mouse, all my problems went away. If you have spare peripheries, you might try swapping just to eliminate that possibility (would've saved me much time and headache if I'd done that to begin with)
  4. C12Friedman said:
    That is an awesome PSU so I'm going to refocus (for now). Have you had any issues that you've noticed with peripherals (mouse, keyboard, printers) at the same time or just before computer freezes?
    I ask because I recently had an issue that took far too long to troubleshoot (at least for my comfort). I too was looking at possible PSU, or graphics, or drivers, or... turned out to be my mouse was going bad - once I swapped my mouse, all my problems went away. If you have spare peripheries, you might try swapping just to eliminate that possibility (would've saved me much time and headache if I'd done that to begin with)


    Yes, I have noticed that my audio will start to buffer oddly, and my mouse and screen will hang.

    I have tried just unplugging my mouse and keyboard at startup (since I don't have another one on me to try at the moment) and it got to the windows startup (win7) and red lines started to appear!

    I tried switching out my power cable and it seemed to fix things because it took longer to crash than it did before, but still no luck!
  5. I had the chance to grab a different keyboard and mouse from my friend. It took a little longer to crash, but this time it crashed with the colours purple and yellow. Not sure if that's anything significant. I tried it a couple more times on different USB slots as well with the same result
  6. Okay, at least we've eliminated that possibility...
    I'll suggest the following, remove and then reseat ram - run MemTest86 see what it tells you
    Does your motherboard/cpu allow you to run without a graphics card installed?
  7. C12Friedman said:
    Okay, at least we've eliminated that possibility...
    I'll suggest the following, remove and then reseat ram - run MemTest86 see what it tells you
    Does your motherboard/cpu allow you to run without a graphics card installed?


    Thanks again for the reply,

    I tried taking out the RAM and putting it back in, and that didn't fix it
    I will try memtest later today, hopefully I can find something to boot from.

    I put my keyboard and mouse into USB 3.0 slots, rather than USB 2.0 slots and the stress test runs much longer before failing.

    Yes, my motherboard has an onboard GPU and it runs perfectly fine, but I can't stress test it or try any games because it isn't supported.

    Thanks again :)
  8. I used MemTest86 and let it run through 1 pass, 0 errors
  9. I'll suggest running memtest overnight - there may be deeper issues than can be found on one, two or five or... passes

    Also, check all power connections inside, make sure none are loose (if modular, check the PSU side also)
  10. C12Friedman said:
    I'll suggest running memtest overnight - there may be deeper issues than can be found on one, two or five or... passes

    Also, check all power connections inside, make sure none are loose (if modular, check the PSU side also)


    Thanks!
    Will do! Fingers crossed it's the ram!
Ask a new question

Read More

GPUs Graphics