Closed Solved

Need help buying new ram for old pc

My fathers business computer is in some serious need of a ram upgrade. Im not so good with this stuff so could use some help upgrading. Its running on windows xp, has a intel desktop board model D915GUX. I managed to find a page with compatible memory data but its just a bunch of code to me, probably very easy to understand for some of you tech guys. Ill post a link to my findings below. It should also be noted that the board currently has only 2 ram sticks in it right now although it has 4 slots, and they say:
DDR2 256MB 533Mhz PC2-4200
1RANK 32MXB CL4
P/N: T533UA256B

Here is the link to the ram compatibility chart i found.
http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/d915gux/sb/CS-027031.htm

I did read that the board is capable of up to 4 gb of ram and i would like to put 4gb in it.
Please help and thank you!
7 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about buying ram
  1. I think you would ideally want a 4gb kit of 2 x 2gb.
    You want to insure compatible ram.
    Go to a ram vendor's web site(G.skil, Kingston, corsair...) and access their ram configurator.
    Enter your motherboard, and you will get a list of compatible kits.
    Do not try to incorporate your current 256mb sticks. It will likely cause incompatibilities.
  2. Go with Hynix.
  3. geofelt said:
    I think you would ideally want a 4gb kit of 2 x 2gb.
    You want to insure compatible ram.
    Go to a ram vendor's web site(G.skil, Kingston, corsair...) and access their ram configurator.
    Enter your motherboard, and you will get a list of compatible kits.
    Do not try to incorporate your current 256mb sticks. It will likely cause incompatibilities.


    Thanks but was not planning on incorporating these old junk sticks.I tried this on the g skil site and i had a hard time even filling out the config menu, not sure what my chipset is or w.e
  4. Best answer
    Because your motherboard is old, ram for it has generally been discontinued.
    You need ddr2 1.8v ram in 533 or 400 speeds.
    Here is a list of supported Kingston ram:
    http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/configurator_new/modelsinfo_disc.asp?SysID=18549&mfr=Intel&model=D915GUX+Motherboard&root=us&LinkBack=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.kingston.com&Sys=18549-Intel-D915GUX+Motherboard&distributor=0&submit1=Search
    I would look for one of these: http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/configurator_new/partsinfo_disc.asp?root=us&LinkBack=http://www.kingston.com&ktcpartno=KVR533D2N4K2/1G
    or this:
    http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/configurator_new/partsinfo_disc.asp?root=us&LinkBack=http://www.kingston.com&ktcpartno=KVR400D2N3K2/1G
    Here is a link to one on amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-ValueRAM-SDRAM-Memory-Module/dp/B0002MAGVE
    Back in the day, large capacity ram was rare, so for Kingston, I see a max of 512mb sticks. That is better, but you will max out at 2gb.

    Perhaps it is time to reconsider and buy a new cpu/motherboard and ram.
    I think you can buy a faster G1610, 1150 motherboard and 4gb of ram for $150.
  5. geofelt said:
    Because your motherboard is old, ram for it has generally been discontinued.
    You need ddr2 1.8v ram in 533 or 400 speeds.
    Here is a list of supported Kingston ram:
    http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/configurator_new/modelsinfo_disc.asp?SysID=18549&mfr=Intel&model=D915GUX+Motherboard&root=us&LinkBack=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.kingston.com&Sys=18549-Intel-D915GUX+Motherboard&distributor=0&submit1=Search
    I would look for one of these: http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/configurator_new/partsinfo_disc.asp?root=us&LinkBack=http://www.kingston.com&ktcpartno=KVR533D2N4K2/1G
    or this:
    http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/configurator_new/partsinfo_disc.asp?root=us&LinkBack=http://www.kingston.com&ktcpartno=KVR400D2N3K2/1G
    Here is a link to one on amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-ValueRAM-SDRAM-Memory-Module/dp/B0002MAGVE
    Back in the day, large capacity ram was rare, so for Kingston, I see a max of 512mb sticks. That is better, but you will max out at 2gb.

    Perhaps it is time to reconsider and buy a new cpu/motherboard and ram.
    I think you can buy a faster G1610, 1150 motherboard and 4gb of ram for $150.


    Thank you geofelt! that is the kind of info im looking for! im looking at the one on amazon and im confused about how it says 1gb (2x512mb) , is that 1 memory stick with 1 gb or is it a 2 pack and each stick is 512?
  6. I think it is a 2 pack of 512mb sticks.
    I found this ram which I think would work. It is 1gb sticks of the proper speed and voltage.
    No guarantees though:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231022
  7. geofelt said:
    I think it is a 2 pack of 512mb sticks.
    I found this ram which I think would work. It is 1gb sticks of the proper speed and voltage.
    No guarantees though:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231022


    Thank you so much for all your help. Ill be sure to update this if the ram i buy works, going with what you found on amazon but found it cheaper on ebay.
Ask a new question

Read More

RAM Computers Memory