HD 7870 vs GTX 660

kratosbellic

Distinguished
May 6, 2011
i wanted to know which one is better as i wanted to buy one of these, DONT TELL ME TO BUY gtx 660ti since i dont have that much budget..

i know hd 7870xt is obviously better than gtx 660

which one is really better, EXPLAIN me every aspect of both the cards except for its driver availablility

EXPLAIN ME LIKE IM FIVE

Solution
- the 7870 is slightly faster overall, the 660 is slightly cheaper (most gtx660's are OC'd versions and would be on par or better than a stock 7870, there are many OC'd 7870's too which would be faster again)
- the 7870 does not support hardware physx acceleration, the 660 does (for games that support physx).
- the 7870 will support AMD's upcoming native "mantle" API, the 660 will support the api through direct x which is slightly slower (probably, but no confirmed reviews yet).
- the 7870 requires 2 x pcie power connectors, the gtx660 uses a little less power and only requires 1 x 6 pin pcie power connector and as a result, has lower power supply requirements.
- if you are ever planning to go dual cards, nvidia's solution is currently...

kratosbellic

Distinguished
May 6, 2011

already tried that site, did not helped me much about which is really better

- the 7870 is slightly faster overall, the 660 is slightly cheaper (most gtx660's are OC'd versions and would be on par or better than a stock 7870, there are many OC'd 7870's too which would be faster again)
- the 7870 does not support hardware physx acceleration, the 660 does (for games that support physx).
- the 7870 will support AMD's upcoming native "mantle" API, the 660 will support the api through direct x which is slightly slower (probably, but no confirmed reviews yet).
- the 7870 requires 2 x pcie power connectors, the gtx660 uses a little less power and only requires 1 x 6 pin pcie power connector and as a result, has lower power supply requirements.
- if you are ever planning to go dual cards, nvidia's solution is currently superior, although amd have made a beta driver to fix certain issues but only affects dx11 games at resolutions 1440p and lower. They are apparently working on a driver that will solve the microstuttering/frame pacing problem in dx9 games and higher resolutions.
- Would you be able to notice a difference if you had two systems side-by-side with a 660 in one and 7870 in another, probably not, although some games favor one architecture over the other, so it would also depend on the game.
- look out for clearence items like the 660ti, in Australia there are a couple places that have the faster 660ti for cheaper than both these cards for example.....

Solution

This is what is good about AMD, YOU GET HEAPS OF GAMES FREE!!! With 7990 you get 8 games free, that is heaps!!!

by the way there are heaps of comparisons and toms hardware posts that are identical to your question.

Look out for sales, if you see a 7870xt on sale it should be around same price as 7870, For me in Australia, I go to a place called MSY which has really low prices on components and parts and you get really good deals. Overall performance the 7870 does better but iam2thecrow has explained all you really need to know.

kratosbellic

Distinguished
May 6, 2011

wth, just the guy i was looking for
clearly explained my like five, couldn't have understood any better
thanks