HD 4890 crossfire crashing system on game launch (BF3)

fedezen

Honorable
Oct 16, 2013
I recently got another 4890 for cheap and installed them in crossfire, the system recognized them then crashed.
I had card #1 (asus hd 4890) overclocked to 950 / 1100. So i returned it to stock (850/975) speed, system booted and i could open and close stuff and play low end games. Crashed again on BF3 launch.

I have recently installed catalyst beta ( i think 13.4) drivers as recomended to play BF4 beta. Should i turn back to older drivers?

Everything was running smooth before crossfire. and still does when i disable it.

My system is
asus p6t deluxe v2
intel i7 920 clocked at 3.3
6gb corsair xms3 1333
asus 4890
powercolor 4890
psu: Nox apex 800w

p.d. the temps are fine, cards are running in mid 50's idle, case has good airflow.
This afternoon i will try more testing, switching the cards around and try different drivers. will post results.

fedezen

Honorable
Oct 16, 2013
well, It turned out it's the power. I had connected the card with just one pice cable (6pin). So when it went under load, system BSOD.
So I got another pcie (6+2) and plugged that in, with 2 cables the card was stable, but the clock was all over the place.
After running on load the second card would not clock down, tried enabling and disabling crossfire, different drivers but nothing.
Card running idle at 77º and 115º under load.
So i unplugged the 6 pin, leaving the 6+2 in, card went back to normal temps.
When i look in realtemp it shows me the asus card (number 1) is running at around 1.095 v, while the powercolor (number 2) is running at 1.315 v.
Didnt have enough time to keep testing.

edit: cleaned out thermal paste, applied new one, temps are back to normal. noob mistake, it's my first time pulling something like this. On the other hand quite happy with results, went from ~45 fps to ~95 fps in BF3.