Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Need help overclocking my GPU, Voltage control via BIOS

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
October 16, 2013 11:33:19 AM

Hello world, I am new at this forum and I have a question.
I have two overclocked GPU's, "Point Of View 8600GT 512MB DDR2"

Stock Clocks:
Core: 540mhz
Memory: 400Mhz
Fan Speed: Auto

Overclocked:
Core: 612mhz
Memory: 450Mhz
Fan Speed: 100% (Manual)




And its doing just fine, It looks a good sweet spot, got a +7FPS Difference.
I have 50c Idle and It barely reaches 65c in game. However stress software like the MSI Kombustor may reach it on 80c based on these settings.
I also tried Increasing the PCIe Bus clock on the Slot 1 from 100mhz to 130mhz but put it back to 100mhz because of instabilities. Probably because it only works for the slot 1.
I want to try changing the voltages values, but not doing anything stupid before asking from the experienced.

In the bios, everything is auto, and the default CPU voltage is 1.30000v, I've been told if I increase the voltage I can overclock the cards further more. But I don't have any idea about voltage controls.. Well also I don't want to cause any damage to my GPU or Motherboard either, even if Gigabyte promises me High Durability because of N650SLi-DS4L's solid capacitors I'm still not doing anything risky.
There are voltages adjustments like, VCC12_DL, NB/HT-Link, FSB, Southbridge etc and I have no Idea what are they. So I could ask some help, I don't really want to overclock my cpu though, I only want the GPU if possible. Thanks in Advance.

My full gear:
Mobo: GA-N650SLI-DS4L
RAM: 1x 2gb Mushkin 800mhz
GPU: 2x Nvidia Point Of View 8600GT 512MB DDR2
CPU: Intel Core Quad q6600 @ 2.4GHz
PSU: Xilent 750W
HD: 500GB SATA 2

Best solution

a c 125 K Overclocking
a b Î Nvidia
October 16, 2013 12:54:43 PM

Hi,

Increasing the CPU Vcore (as you mentioned) won't help in any regard to increase the overclocking ability of your GPU's, nor will increasing the North or South bridge voltages.
If you want to overclock your GPU's further and so require additional voltage then you need to increase the graphics cards voltage which won't be an option you'll find in the motherboard BIOS.
You might want to try MSI afterburner which is a GPU overclocking tool, you can unlock voltage control although I don't know if this particular feature will be supported for your graphics cards. Alternatively you could edit the graphics card BIOS (Though I'd only recommend that for experienced overclockers).
Share
October 16, 2013 1:17:08 PM

Rustyy117 said:
Hi,

Increasing the CPU Vcore (as you mentioned) won't help in any regard to increase the overclocking ability of your GPU's, nor will increasing the North or South bridge voltages.
If you want to overclock your GPU's further and so require additional voltage then you need to increase the graphics cards voltage which won't be an option you'll find in the motherboard BIOS.
You might want to try MSI afterburner which is a GPU overclocking tool, you can unlock voltage control although I don't know if this particular feature will be supported for your graphics cards. Alternatively you could edit the graphics card BIOS (Though I'd only recommend that for experienced overclockers).


Thank you for replying. I indeed use MSI Afterburner, but sadly I cannot unlock the voltages. It seems its not supported.

So I think the only option is to do via the bios.


m
0
l
Related resources
a c 125 K Overclocking
a b Î Nvidia
October 16, 2013 1:22:53 PM

I take it you've checked "unlock voltage control" in the settings menu and edited the cfg file?

If you have then you might only be left with editing the GPU BIOS and then flashing the cards with the modified BIOS. There are some guides out there on doing this, I'll have a look and see if I can find one.
It is quite risky so you'll have to decide if it's worth the risk.
m
0
l
October 16, 2013 1:32:32 PM

Rustyy117 said:
I take it you've checked "unlock voltage control" in the settings menu and edited the cfg file?

If you have then you might only be left with editing the GPU BIOS and then flashing the cards with the modified BIOS. There are some guides out there on doing this, I'll have a look and see if I can find one.
It is quite risky so you'll have to decide if it's worth the risk.

I have checked to unlock both monitoring and core voltages. It does not work. I may try flashing the bios after I buy a new GPU. I'm not currently taking any high risks.
I would like to squeeze every possibility from the card, but for now Im on the safe zone of the overclocking.

Thank you for the help.
m
0
l
a c 125 K Overclocking
a b Î Nvidia
October 16, 2013 1:34:23 PM

haxbox said:
Rustyy117 said:
I take it you've checked "unlock voltage control" in the settings menu and edited the cfg file?

If you have then you might only be left with editing the GPU BIOS and then flashing the cards with the modified BIOS. There are some guides out there on doing this, I'll have a look and see if I can find one.
It is quite risky so you'll have to decide if it's worth the risk.

I have checked to unlock both monitoring and core voltages. It does not work. I may try flashing the bios after I buy a new GPU. I'm not currently taking any high risks.
I would like to squeeze every possibility from the card, but for now Im on the safe zone of the overclocking.

Thank you for the help.


Ok, no problem.
m
0
l
!