Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Need Confirmation this this computer build will work

Tags:
  • Configuration
  • Systems
  • Computers
  • Memory
Last response: in Systems
Share
October 16, 2013 2:14:54 PM

a bit concerned about memory since asus only approved 1 model of memory for 32gig configuration. but also worried on conbo of other parts to. lease time I built a computer as 8 years ago and it is still the fastest thing, but has never been connected to the internet.
Hardware Config I am contemplating:
Case: Corsair Obsidian 550D, dual 20mm fans
Power: Corsair Professional Series HX 850 Watt ATX/EPS Modular 80 PLUS Gold (HX850)
SSD Drive: Plextor PX-64M2S-02 64Gb
Hybrid Drive: Seagate Laptop Thin 500 GB Solid State Hybrid Drive SATA 6Gb/s 64 MB Cache 2.5 Inch ST500LM000
CPU Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120mm PWM Fan (RR-212E-20PK-R2)
Graphics: Sapphire AMD Radeon HD 6850 1GB PCI-E Video Card (100315L)
MB: P8Z77-V Pro
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4x8GB) DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory (CMZ32GX3M4X1600C10)

Hope someone is familiar with these components
Thanks in advance for your help.
NP

More about : confirmation this computer build work

a b } Memory
October 16, 2013 2:26:17 PM

I assume this is an encoding build?

You have no CPU listed.
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 98 } Memory
October 16, 2013 2:35:19 PM

Up the SSD size to 128GB or more (if that is to be the boot drive)
Why the laptop size 500GB SSHD?
m
0
l
a c 2286 } Memory
October 16, 2013 3:19:48 PM

Should work fine, make sure you have the latest BIOS (preferably), but go into the BIOS enable XMP and select profile 1, depending on CPU you may need to add voltage to the DRAM or the VCCSA...if any problems, give me a shout and let me know the CPU and OC if any
m
0
l
October 16, 2013 7:33:19 PM

tiny voices said:
I assume this is an encoding build?

You have no CPU listed.


haven't decided on CPU other than intel 3rd gen, probably 6M cache and will make sure it conforms to socket and chip set
m
0
l
a b } Memory
October 16, 2013 7:35:24 PM

neonphelps said:
tiny voices said:
I assume this is an encoding build?

You have no CPU listed.


haven't decided on CPU other than intel 3rd gen, probably 6M cache and will make sure it conforms to socket and chip set


This build is for rendering and encoding right?
m
0
l
October 16, 2013 7:50:02 PM

USAFRet said:
Up the SSD size to 128GB or more (if that is to be the boot drive)
Why the laptop size 500GB SSHD?


this is the boot drive in the dektop and you are absolutely right, it is the boot drive and should be larger.
I was buying smaller to insure that I keep the writing to the ssd at a bard min since ssd's lifespan is mostly contingent on its limited # of writes. looked at SLC, but too expensive for what i will be doing with this system. I researched the Plextor PX-64M2S-02, can't find anyone selling the Plextor PX-128M2S - I you know of a great and reasonably priced (i know those word don't go together) ML SSD i'm open to suggestions.
m
0
l
October 16, 2013 7:52:53 PM

tiny voices said:
neonphelps said:
tiny voices said:
I assume this is an encoding build?

You have no CPU listed.


haven't decided on CPU other than intel 3rd gen, probably 6M cache and will make sure it conforms to socket and chip set


This build is for rendering and encoding right?


Nope - it is way overkill for office computing and possibly fun. unless simcity is sold on dvd instead of cloud, it will probably spend it's day excelling and acrobat pro digitizing light stuff.


m
0
l
a b } Memory
October 16, 2013 7:54:37 PM

Honestly if you plan to play any games ever, you should remove 16gb of that RAM and get a decent GPU.
m
0
l
October 16, 2013 7:57:24 PM

tiny voices said:
neonphelps said:
tiny voices said:
I assume this is an encoding build?

You have no CPU listed.


haven't decided on CPU other than intel 3rd gen, probably 6M cache and will make sure it conforms to socket and chip set


This build is for rendering and encoding right?


Nope:
i usually buy one generation behind current, low GHz but fill it full of memory and use 7200rom drives - and keep it fast for 7-8 years.
i need another computer to put in a home i just ought in florida,
my computer here is very old and very very fast because it has 2 separate boot drives (not particians) - one for when i use the internet and one for NO internetting. Seens to have kept things clean for a long time.
m
0
l
a b } Memory
October 16, 2013 7:58:35 PM

So what will the system actually be used for?
m
0
l
October 16, 2013 7:59:31 PM

tiny voices said:
Honestly if you plan to play any games ever, you should remove 16gb of that RAM and get a decent GPU.


hummm - maybe not a bad idea. I can always start with 16 and add another 16Gig later if i need to. guess your making a statement about my CPU choice.

m
0
l
a b } Memory
October 16, 2013 8:03:30 PM

Unless you are encoding video or rendering LARGE 3d scenes or objects anything over 16gb RAM is pointless, and will require windows Ultimate edition to be able to use anyway,
m
0
l
a c 98 } Memory
October 16, 2013 8:06:55 PM

tiny voices said:
Unless you are encoding video or rendering LARGE 3d scenes or objects anything over 16gb RAM is pointless, and will require windows Ultimate edition to be able to use anyway,


http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop...

Win7 Pro, Enterprise, or Ultimate can use 192GB.
Home Premium caps out at 16GB.

But yes...mostly pointless in that environment.
m
0
l
October 16, 2013 8:07:36 PM

tiny voices said:
So what will the system actually be used for?


WP, Light DB, a decent amount of scanning and storage, and the old simcity unless the new version comes away from the cloud. May be connecting it to the 85"4k TV i am hoping to put into my condo. You suggesting i am way overkill?
If so, taking suggestions on Asus Mother boards (i have always owned asus) and Mother Boards. Don't really know how to research lower power solutions.
m
0
l
a b } Memory
October 16, 2013 8:09:26 PM

Yes it is WAY overkill. 32gb RAM will not be used ever unless you do HEAVY encoding or rendering and even then it is VERY hard to use even close to that much RAM.
m
0
l
October 16, 2013 8:11:42 PM

USAFRet said:
tiny voices said:
Unless you are encoding video or rendering LARGE 3d scenes or objects anything over 16gb RAM is pointless, and will require windows Ultimate edition to be able to use anyway,


http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop...

Win7 Pro, Enterprise, or Ultimate can use 192GB.
Home Premium caps out at 16GB.

But yes...mostly pointless in that environment.


Possibly planning to use Win Pro 7 as i am pretty good with fixing it. Past life: IT manager for about 12 years. Then moved onto satellite communications and became a regular user. I am the only one that moved to win 8 at my latest job and may choose to go with it as it is kind of fun. just don't like the extreme grief MS gives if you want to install it on another drive- and SSD drives do not last forever.
m
0
l
a c 98 } Memory
October 16, 2013 8:11:52 PM

neonphelps said:
USAFRet said:
Up the SSD size to 128GB or more (if that is to be the boot drive)
Why the laptop size 500GB SSHD?


this is the boot drive in the dektop and you are absolutely right, it is the boot drive and should be larger.
I was buying smaller to insure that I keep the writing to the ssd at a bard min since ssd's lifespan is mostly contingent on its limited # of writes. looked at SLC, but too expensive for what i will be doing with this system. I researched the Plextor PX-64M2S-02, can't find anyone selling the Plextor PX-128M2S - I you know of a great and reasonably priced (i know those word don't go together) ML SSD i'm open to suggestions.


That is exactly backwards.
A larger SSD will have a longer lifespan, for the same number of writes per day.

As data is written to the disk, it is moved around to different places for wear leveling. A smaller drive has fewer places to write to. And each cell gets written to more often.

In any case, the current crop of consumer grade SSD life is measured in years, if not decades. Buy a good one, and don't worry about it.
m
0
l
October 16, 2013 8:14:13 PM

tiny voices said:
So what will the system actually be used for?


I'm sorry for swamping you with replies - but i just realized part of the issue: I am fairly use to being able to take any of my computers and turn them into servers, just for fun, sport and to keep some of my skill set. Not that i connect them to anything other than my own network at home.
m
0
l
a c 98 } Memory
October 16, 2013 8:23:46 PM

neonphelps said:
tiny voices said:
So what will the system actually be used for?


I'm sorry for swamping you with replies - but i just realized part of the issue: I am fairly use to being able to take any of my computers and turn them into servers, just for fun, sport and to keep some of my skill set. Not that i connect them to anything other than my own network at home.


Right. And that is why we ask.

Far too many people go for "I need 32GB for my uber gaming box!!"
No, you don't

Same with an HTPC simply serving up videos to the TV, or a 2 person file sharing box.

I have 16GB in my main machine, only because I run a few VMs. If not for that, I would have put 8GB worth of money elsewhere.
If you have a legitimate reason for lots of RAM, go for it.

But not many people do.
m
0
l
October 16, 2013 8:55:15 PM

USAFRet said:
neonphelps said:
USAFRet said:
Up the SSD size to 128GB or more (if that is to be the boot drive)
Why the laptop size 500GB SSHD?


this is the boot drive in the dektop and you are absolutely right, it is the boot drive and should be larger.
I was buying smaller to insure that I keep the writing to the ssd at a bard min since ssd's lifespan is mostly contingent on its limited # of writes. looked at SLC, but too expensive for what i will be doing with this system. I researched the Plextor PX-64M2S-02, can't find anyone selling the Plextor PX-128M2S - I you know of a great and reasonably priced (i know those word don't go together) ML SSD i'm open to suggestions.


That is exactly backwards.
A larger SSD will have a longer lifespan, for the same number of writes per day.

As data is written to the disk, it is moved around to different places for wear leveling. A smaller drive has fewer places to write to. And each cell gets written to more often.

In any case, the current crop of consumer grade SSD life is measured in years, if not decades. Buy a good one, and don't worry about it.


Starting to get the hang of the site- brand new as of today.
I get it. Didn't make the connection of size vs number of writes.
Do you know if Win 7 or Win 8 or Util software with the SSD - works to extend the SSD life by writng to ew areas as oppose to deleting and writing to areas in use? I would like to extend the life as long as possible, not due to cost but tdue to PIA when drives go.
I Looked at SSDs and considering that my first HD was 20Mg and cost $285 at MicroAge's cost, in 199x dollars - it is a NO BRAINER - Going to buy either Samsung's 840 Pro or Samsung's 840 EVO 128 or 256 based on the evals I read at Tom's. Thanks.

m
0
l
a c 98 } Memory
October 16, 2013 9:09:09 PM

neonphelps said:

Starting to get the hang of the site- brand new as of today.
I get it. Didn't make the connection of size vs number of writes.
Do you know if Win 7 or Win 8 or Util software with the SSD - works to extend the SSD life by writng to ew areas as oppose to deleting and writing to areas in use? I would like to extend the life as long as possible, not due to cost but tdue to PIA when drives go.
I Looked at SSDs and considering that my first HD was 20Mg and cost $285 at MicroAge's cost, in 199x dollars - it is a NO BRAINER - Going to buy either Samsung's 840 Pro or Samsung's 840 EVO 128 or 256 based on the evals I read at Tom's. Thanks.



The Samsung EVO, in either size, will work well.
I have a year old Kingston 128 HyperX 3K, and it is working just fine. All reports/software give it years to run at its current pace.
m
0
l
!