GT 520 vs. Radeon 4850

luizsilveira

Honorable
Oct 16, 2013
Hello guys,

So. I'm in a very very tight budget. Has been so for some time and unfortunately is not going to change in the next year or so at least.

My system is a Dell optiplex 755 (bought refurbished), which comes with a Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 @ 3.00 Ghz, 4Gb of RAM and a GT 520. I also put an SSD because I needed that for work.

I use this mainly for some gaming: Rfactor, Arma 2, and some Wargame: Airland Battle. I don't intent to get anything else, although Arma 3 when it gets in a big sale would be cool.

Yesterady the GPU failed while playing Arma 2. May be related to the fact that I've been overclocking the s* out of it recently. I told a friend of mine, and he offered to ship me a 4850 that is collecting dust ($25 cost, which for me is not that little). Today I started the computer and the GT 520 was working normal.

Now... performance-wise it's of course mediocre. I get an average of 20FPS in Arma, but often it's around 15. Some times it's the GPU bottlenecking but some times it's the CPU, but it's usually the GPU at lower fps and the CPU at higher fps (around 25ish, which happens on deserts/clear skies). As for Wargame, I think I care a bit less, but I can run on medium settings no problem. Rfactor is all good of course.

So... do you think it would be worth it for me to go for the 4850? Would there be better performance, or at least same fps with better graphics? Is it worth it the money and the trouble, also considering I've seen some people having problem with drivers and whatnot going from Nvidia to ATI?

Cheers, I really appreciate your help.

edit: ah, I snatched IL-2:CoD recently for £2 but it didn't quite run. Would the 4850 run it? Lastly, I believe the GT 520 would not run Arma 3, but the 4850 would? Thanks.

Solution
There is no comparison between these two cards. The HD 4850 just bulldozes the GT 520. The GT 520 was meant to be an OEM office-apps type card while the HD 4850 was designed to be a high-end gaming card. The ATi equivalent of the GT 520 would be the HD 2600 Pro or the HD 3650, neither of those cards could touch an HD 4850, even if they were in 2-way crossfire. The only problem with the HD 4850 is that it doesn't support DirectX11. I know this all too well because I just recently (as in a few days ago) upgraded from my two HD 4870s in crossfire to my shiny new Gigabyte HD 7970. Between those cards, it's no contest, the HD 4850 just wins, and it wins BIG. If you're able to play those games in DX9, DX10 or DX10.1 mode, you'll be...
There is no comparison between these two cards. The HD 4850 just bulldozes the GT 520. The GT 520 was meant to be an OEM office-apps type card while the HD 4850 was designed to be a high-end gaming card. The ATi equivalent of the GT 520 would be the HD 2600 Pro or the HD 3650, neither of those cards could touch an HD 4850, even if they were in 2-way crossfire. The only problem with the HD 4850 is that it doesn't support DirectX11. I know this all too well because I just recently (as in a few days ago) upgraded from my two HD 4870s in crossfire to my shiny new Gigabyte HD 7970. Between those cards, it's no contest, the HD 4850 just wins, and it wins BIG. If you're able to play those games in DX9, DX10 or DX10.1 mode, you'll be laughing. If you're getting 20fps in Arma, you can expect 50fps with the HD 4850 at the same settings. The HD 4850 will run all those games but don't expect to play at anything higher than medium settings.

Solution

Deus Gladiorum

Distinguished

Yea, the 4850 is a considerably better card. It's a matter of an older mid-range end card vs a newer superbly low end card. It depends on how old the difference is, but in this case, the HD 4850 is the winner. It requires a lot more power though, around 30 W more. If your PSU is suited for that, then you're fine, but if not, just stick with the GT 520.

stridervm

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2008
You know that the equivalent of the Radeon 4850 would be like the GT 550? Get it! The only caveat is that your friend might be giving you a near dead card and the warranty is gone. But beyond that. C'mon it's just $25. It's a day and night difference.

Of course check your PSU if it has even the proper cables to support the Radeon 4850.

luizsilveira

Honorable
Oct 16, 2013
Hey guys, thanks for the answers.

So yeah, I had read the part where you said it was such a better card and I think my brain shut down the power needs part. So my friend offered me to donate the money, which I thought was nice of him and immediately did. Then I came back to check details and realized I should have checked the power supply.

It turns out my PSU is Dell 305W. Now let's see.

AMD states that recommended PSU is 450W. Also the 75 Watt 6-pin PCI Express® power connector is recommended (it doesn't say required?). Source: http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/ati-radeon-hd-4000/hd-4850/Pages/ati-radeon-hd-4850-system-requirements.aspx

I couldn't find it if my PSU supports this cable at all, and I shouldn't look for the motherboard I suppose.

I also ran http://extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine - I'm running the system I mentioned above with a DVD-ROM unit, a 7200RPM HDD (plus the SSD), and a couple of external USB stuff (like a condenser microphone).

Results seem to have been, with a 100% CPU load: 90% system load, minimum 256W and recommended 306W; at 100% system peak load, minimum 284W and recommended 334W. If I put CPU to 90% (which is the recommended) and the system load to 90% (also recommended), I get min. 253W and recommended 303W.

So, is it even worth it trying it out? Is there a risk of frying the PSU/components, or would it just crash/freeze the computer? Is it worth using the board without plugging the extra power cable?

Many thanks for all your help, and sorry for my lack of knowledge.

stridervm

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2008
Well to be honest. I haven't seen a system explode due to using too much power even using OEM PSU (As low as 350). However, those are very basic systems like one HD, one DVD drive and then a Radeon 4850.

If your PSU doesn't have the required cables, there are cables that you can buy that convert an IDE drive power cable to a 6-pin PCI-E cable. You can use to it power the Radeon 4850.

To be perfectly safe though, I'd suggest buying at least a 400W corsair, they have the needed cables and it will give you peace of mind of not frying everything in your system just in case that PSU explodes or something.

luizsilveira

Honorable
Oct 16, 2013

Thanks for the cable tip.

Yeah, my system is quite basic indeed. And I don't even mind unplugging the DVD-ROM if that makes any difference, since I've probably used it once or twice in years.

Unfortunately the 400W Corsair is way out of budget. It in fact seems to cost twice as much as I'm paying for the 4850 - and I was already in doubt about getting the card in the first place :(

I think at best I could, in a couple of months, afford something like an Evo Labs, Sumvision, or the like. Which are probably crap I imagine, but less crap than not having enough juice?

My most important question is: is it stupid to even try with my OEM PSU? I mean, just putting the card and seeing if it works. If it doesn't, I'll deal with it. I don't mind getting a blue screen or a system freeze... That way I know it didn't work and I'll stick the old card back in. But of course, if there is risk of system/component damage, I'll not even try the new one and need to see what I can do beforehand.

Cheers.

luizsilveira

Honorable
Oct 16, 2013

np, you did help. The other guys were right as well but you were the first after all :p

Jokes aside, spot on: Arma 2 went form 20 to 50 fps. So I increased settings a ton and am happy with ~30 FPS.

Other games had less of a difference. Rfactor from 80 to 150 with same settings, 120fps with everything maxed out... but really, it's not noticeable between maxed out and the mid-high that I had before. Wargame:ALB looks a bit better and has higher frames when zoomed all the way in. But one seldom zooms in so in terms of gameplay it changed little to nothing.

I hadn't tried IL-2:CoD yet, nor I have the patience to re-insall FSX and see how would that go. Now it's all about waiting for Steam Christmas/winter sales to try Arma 3...

stridervm

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2008
FSX would not have the same performance improvement, but there will be, FSX is mostly a processor intensive game. :)

Glad it worked out for you. Don't be too complacent though, I would suggest slowly investing for any decent PSU to replace your OEM one. Better safe than sorry. :)

luizsilveira

Honorable
Oct 16, 2013

That's one late answer :D

I did get a PSU in the end. Forgot now which one, but it was a good brand and probably 450W.

I'm fairly happy with the results. Arma 3 ran fine, and Arma 2 did get much better (same 20~25 fps because the CPU was bottlenecking but I could use much higher settings with a better image).

I didn't test with IL-2 because I didn't like that game all that much. But fwiw I can run Assetto Corsa just fine (50fps, mid settings), as well as Euro Truck Sim 2 (20~25 fps, high settings - but I don't get better fps in mid or low settings so wtf).

FSX, indeed, didn't have much improvement if at all. Neither fps nor the image quality/settings got any better. TBH I just stopped playing it and am enjoying the other sims (I have a thing for sims).

There will come a time in which I'll have to upgrade the CPU but I'll hold as much as I can, since that'll certainly mean an overall system upgrade (it won't be worth it to keep the mobo and a new one would probably not even fit the Dell case I'd think).

In any case, and since the thread is necroed anyway ( :p ) is there any budget CPU+mobo+RAM kit that you'd recommend at the moment?

Thanks for all the help!