Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

upgrade from i5 to i7

Last response: in CPUs
Share
October 17, 2013 12:30:45 AM

i currently have a i5 3550k and want to upgrade to the 3570k can i upghrade without a new OS re-install? is it plug n play? thanks

More about : upgrade

October 17, 2013 12:34:38 AM

pretty much, all your information is saved in your harddrive so it shouln't be affected. I question ur decision to upgrade an already excellent cpu though.
m
0
l
a c 120 à CPUs
October 17, 2013 12:36:11 AM

There's no such chip as the i5-3550K. There's only the i5-3550. And the i5-3570K is also an i5, not i7, which is a rather pointless upgrade.

But to answer your question, it is plug and play.
m
0
l
Related resources
October 17, 2013 12:39:36 AM

David Towson said:
pretty much, all your information is saved in your harddrive so it shouln't be affected. I question ur decision to upgrade an already excellent cpu though.

Well I just bought a solid state and in thinking the 8 threads and hyperthresding will improve my performance noticeably
m
0
l
a c 120 à CPUs
October 17, 2013 12:40:31 AM

Uh ... no. Most apps don't even use hyper threading unless you are going to do a lot of heavy video/audio editing or play a few select games that actually support HT.
m
0
l
October 17, 2013 12:51:49 AM

so for gaming / internet and normal tasks a i7 would not be a worthy upgrade over my i5 3570k?
m
0
l

Best solution

October 17, 2013 1:01:34 AM

no. after a point only the gpu will improve your gaming experience. No existing procesor will surpass i5 3570K as much as to make a difference worth upgradeing. If you dont have one, get a decent cooler for the processor and OC to 4.0-4.2 (very safe limits). you will see that your gaming fps will not improve a lot, just a bit. It's all about the GPU these days. BTW i have 3570k and im sure its a best buy for games, not only as price, but as performance as well.
Share
October 17, 2013 1:09:29 AM

clau_aclx said:
no. after a point only the gpu will improve your gaming experience. No existing procesor will surpass i5 3570K as much as to make a difference worth upgradeing. If you dont have one, get a decent cooler for the processor and OC to 4.0-4.2 (very safe limits). you will see that your gaming fps will not improve a lot, just a bit. It's all about the GPU these days. BTW i have 3570k and im sure its a best buy for games, not only as price, but as performance as well.

thank you
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
October 17, 2013 1:22:58 AM

Madhat1317 said:
so for gaming / internet and normal tasks a i7 would not be a worthy upgrade over my i5 3570k?


It will be a pointless upgrade... In car terms, think of the same care just instead of like 280 km/h top speed it will do like 286 km/h top speed... no point really.
m
0
l
!