Solved

Suggest a power supply unit for Gigabyte GA-Z87-HD3 Intel Z87 Socket 1150..

Hello, could you please suggest a good PSU for Gigabyte GA-Z87-HD3 Intel Z87 Socket 1150 mainboard?

Thank you.
15 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about suggest power supply unit gigabyte z87 hd3 intel z87 socket 1150
  1. What GPU are you going to be using?
  2. The bulk of the power goes to the components that you put on the board, not the board itself.

    So we have no idea how much power your pc needs without knowing what you have in it.
    Tell us stuff like, what is your processor, graphics card, storage devices, number of fans and coolers, optical drivs, peripherals...
  3. Sorry I didn't know things relates this way (Well, :( I don't have enough idea on this field ).

    I am using Pentuim(R) dual core E5200 @ 2.50 GHr 2.50 GHr (with DDR2 ram)

    Storage 500 GB & 1 TB (two hard disc drives)

    Fans - 3 including PSU

    DVD drive

    And want to set up with these -

    RAM Transcend DDR-3 2GB

    Graphics Card Gigabyte HD 6570 / 1GB

    And a normal range sound card (later)
  4. Well your old CPU will not fit the new board, different sockets, with a HD6570 the system will run on any 300watt PSU and up.
  5. rolli59 said:
    Well your old CPU will not fit the new board, different sockets, with a HD6570 the system will run on any 300watt PSU and up.

    There's no way to use the previous processor with the new mainboard? What do I need to change? I could buy a new CPU (casing if you mean). I just want to keep the previous processor with new setup.
  6. To do an upgrade and not replace the CPU does not make any sense since it is the part that drives the performance.
    Your old CPU only fits LGA775 motherboards which are long out dated. LGA1150 is the newest std and way better.
  7. rolli59 said:
    To do an upgrade and not replace the CPU does not make any sense since it is the part that drives the performance.
    Your old CPU only fits LGA775 motherboards which are long out dated. LGA1150 is the newest std and way better.


    Okay, then I might get an Intel Core i3 or i5.. (did you mean processor by CPU?)
  8. It seems you want to upgrade your current pc?

    To use the Gigabyte GA-Z87-HD3, you will need a new LGA 1150 socket processor.

    Tell us what you intend to do, then we can better help you set things right :)
  9. huilun02 said:
    It seems you want to upgrade your current pc?

    To use the Gigabyte GA-Z87-HD3, you will need a new LGA 1150 socket processor.

    Tell us what you intend to do, then we can better help you set things right :)


    Okay, this is what I was trying to do -
    For now I just need a PSU for my current setup, but soon I am opting to get the Gigabyte Z87 socket 1150 with ddr3 2 GB ram and 1 GB Gigabyte HD 6570 graphics card (a normal sound card later on). I was thinking, for now if it is possible to use the PSU for current setup,.which is compatible for the upgraded version. Later I will use the same PSU for the upgraded version. For now I just need a PSU which will work for both setup (if possible).

    If not, then I what do I need for Gigabyte GA-Z87? I have the previous hard drives and DVD rom ( I think that's all)
  10. Best answer
    Skhatria said:
    Sorry I didn't know things relates this way (Well, :( I don't have enough idea on this field ).

    I am using Pentuim(R) dual core E5200 @ 2.50 GHr 2.50 GHr (with DDR2 ram)

    Storage 500 GB & 1 TB (two hard disc drives)

    Fans - 3 including PSU

    DVD drive

    And want to set up with these -

    RAM Transcend DDR-3 2GB

    Graphics Card Gigabyte HD 6570 / 1GB

    And a normal range sound card (later)



    2gb is not enough ram anymore. 4 is the new minimum and 8 is pretty much standard. You will need a new CPU for that motherboard as others have mentioned. That depends on your budget on which one to get. Did you already buy this board? Also, if you buy a new power supply, do so with the mindset of possible future upgrades. Going bare minimum now will just cost you more money later when you have to upgrade. An XFX 550w is a decent PSU for the money without going way overboard and giving plenty of future upgrade potential for all but really high end graphics cards.


  11. 2gb is not enough ram anymore. 4 is the new minimum and 8 is pretty much standard. You will need a new CPU for that motherboard as others have mentioned. That depends on your budget on which one to get. Did you already buy this board? Also, if you buy a new power supply, do so with the mindset of possible future upgrades. Going bare minimum now will just cost you more money later when you have to upgrade. An XFX 550w is a decent PSU for the money without going way overboard and giving plenty of future upgrade potential for all but really high end graphics cards.

    Right! I haven't brought that mainboard yet. Is that mainboard good enough for possible future upgrades?

    I normally use an audio work-station (FL studio), video work-station(sony vegas), play NFS (sometimes), watch movies, browse and that's all. Do you think it is good enough for the upcoming NFS games, I mean if I had to upgrade the graphics card or sound card, is that mainboard good for that?

    Is LGA 1150 okay for later upgrades or suggest to get an LGA 1155 ? (but I think I cannot spent enough if that is expensive one!)
  12. Skhatria said:
    rolli59 said:
    To do an upgrade and not replace the CPU does not make any sense since it is the part that drives the performance.
    Your old CPU only fits LGA775 motherboards which are long out dated. LGA1150 is the newest std and way better.


    Okay, then I might get an Intel Core i3 or i5.. (did you mean processor by CPU?)


    C entral P rocessing U nit.
  13. Thanks to all of you for giving your precious time. Thanks.
  14. 1155 will not see any upgrades from Intel. 1150 makes sense if you intend to upgrade the CPU at a later time.
  15. Okay, thanks!
Ask a new question

Read More

Socket Power Supplies CPUs Gigabyte Intel