Is my FX 8320 bottlenecking my HD 7970???

ninjaalamode

Honorable
Sep 12, 2013
I've been playing Final Fantasy XIV a lot and it's really been bugging me that my FPS goes down to 30 and below in certain towns and the major cities. Is this normal at all?

No matter what I change my graphical settings to in these areas the FPS difference is negligible!

PC: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1N2FJ

Unfortunately, FF XIV is made from an internal engine, so they could have optimized for just Intel based PCs. So, the short answer is "yes, it might be".

For example, UE3 based engines run usually better on Intel/nVidia PCs than AMD/AMD PCs or even Intel/AMD (this one is smaller though).

Try OC'ing the 8320 and see if it makes a difference.

Cheers!

ninjaalamode

Honorable
Sep 12, 2013

Well, I did try overclocking (using the Catalyst with the 13.11 beta drivers), but it made the game really unstable and was really choppy and strange when I started it up and played it. I turned off AMD overdrive and everything went back to normal.

EDIT: Just for clarity; I meant I overclocked my CPU (the 8320). I haven't tried overclocking my GPU.

Ah, that's an interesting point. How are your CPU temps? Maybe the thermal protection circuit is kicking in and throttling the CPU down to a lower P state (meaning, lower speed).

So, check your CPU and GPU temps, and tell us how they are.

Cheers!

ninjaalamode

Honorable
Sep 12, 2013

I don't think that's it...

My max CPU temperature is 50 C while my GPU's is 59 C.