Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

7850 fan rattling sound (with audio/video) Need help/advice

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
October 17, 2013 5:40:38 PM

So here's the link of the actual sound:

http://youtu.be/F31KMRFQSEY

I can only hear it while gaming and it only started in the past few weeks. Has anyone else had this type of rattling with their GPU fan? Is it serious or normal? Should I stop gaming for now?

Also in the video is a really weird whining sound something was making when my framerate was way up in the 2000's while in loading screens. Seemed weird so I figured I'd include it. When I limited the framerate to 60 FPS it went away.

I'm gonna contact XFX, but in the meantime I figured I'd see if anyone knew whether it's a serious issue or if it's just something that happens overtime. I got the GPU in may of this year

My exact model GPU: XFX Radeon 7850 (FX-785A-ZNL4)
http://shop.amd.com/us/Manufacturer/XFX/Detail/GraphicC...
October 17, 2013 5:44:56 PM

I cannot view the video myself, however the first time I built a computer and turned it on, my CPU fan was whining and rattling. I panicked but quickly realized that the wires that surround the fan itself were merely touching the blades a bit. Check around the blades and make sure no wires are making contact with them.

HOWEVER, you do mention that it's quiet in idle, and loud when under load. This just may be a faulty fan. The bumpers used to keep the fans post are uneven. This is something you may be able to fix with some tinkering, but I'd recommend an RMA in this scenario.
Related resources
October 17, 2013 5:49:27 PM

Some fans sound a bit like that when running faster, but if it bugs you, get ahold of the card maker to see if can be RMAed.

my 5770 made some hell of a racket and XFX sent me a replacement cooler at my request. Worked out great, almost no down time and it was perfect after(I actually called them by phone as well).

The high pitched noise is called coil whine. It is a side effect of the high switching speeds on pc power systems.
October 17, 2013 5:51:02 PM

Retrowire said:
I cannot view the video myself, however the first time I built a computer and turned it on, my CPU fan was whining and rattling. I panicked but quickly realized that the wires that surround the fan itself were merely touching the blades a bit. Check around the blades and make sure no wires are making contact with them.

HOWEVER, you do mention that it's quiet in idle, and loud when under load. This just may be a faulty fan. The bumpers used to keep the fans post are uneven. This is something you may be able to fix with some tinkering, but I'd recommend an RMA in this scenario.


It's definitely not any wires. I'm creating a support ticket right now.

It maybe just normal wear and tear kind of thing because the card doesn't perform badly or anything. Actually it got one of the highest scores I've had on 3D Mark 11 tonight.
October 17, 2013 5:53:06 PM

MattBeastblood said:
Retrowire said:
I cannot view the video myself, however the first time I built a computer and turned it on, my CPU fan was whining and rattling. I panicked but quickly realized that the wires that surround the fan itself were merely touching the blades a bit. Check around the blades and make sure no wires are making contact with them.

HOWEVER, you do mention that it's quiet in idle, and loud when under load. This just may be a faulty fan. The bumpers used to keep the fans post are uneven. This is something you may be able to fix with some tinkering, but I'd recommend an RMA in this scenario.


It's definitely not any wires. I'm creating a support ticket right now.

It maybe just normal wear and tear kind of thing because the card doesn't perform badly or anything. Actually it got one of the highest scores I've had on 3D Mark 11 tonight.


That's awesome news regarding the 3D Mark 11 score. You've done the right thing requesting a support ticket. I hope all works out for you.
October 17, 2013 5:55:55 PM

nukemaster said:
Some fans sound a bit like that when running faster, but if it bugs you, get ahold of the card maker to see if can be RMAed.

my 5770 made some hell of a racket and XFX sent me a replacement cooler at my request. Worked out great, almost no down time and it was perfect after(I actually called them by phone as well).

The high pitched noise is called coil whine. It is a side effect of the high switching speeds on pc power systems.



So they only sent you a cooler? Meaning you installed it yourself?

To be honest, the rattling doesn't bother me at all, I just want to make sure it's not a serious problem. If there's risk, I will RMA. If it's just a noise that doesn't affect the reliability of the card, I'd rather not bother.

I'll see what XFX or newegg says I guess. Hopefully I don't have to return it.
October 17, 2013 6:02:11 PM

MattBeastblood said:
nukemaster said:
Some fans sound a bit like that when running faster, but if it bugs you, get ahold of the card maker to see if can be RMAed.

my 5770 made some hell of a racket and XFX sent me a replacement cooler at my request. Worked out great, almost no down time and it was perfect after(I actually called them by phone as well).

The high pitched noise is called coil whine. It is a side effect of the high switching speeds on pc power systems.



So they only sent you a cooler? Meaning you installed it yourself?

To be honest, the rattling doesn't bother me at all, I just want to make sure it's not a serious problem. If there's risk, I will RMA. If it's just a noise that doesn't affect the reliability of the card, I'd rather not bother.

I'll see what XFX or newegg says I guess. Hopefully I don't have to return it.


They sent me the cooler because I requested it(I could have done a full card RMA). Early 5770's had problems with idle crashing because the voltage was too low at idle for some of the cards. The fix was to raise(and i think the clock was put at 400 and not 152 or something) the voltage on all the new ones. I did NOT want that in my media center system so I requested the new cooler.

It came with thermal paste pre-applied and everything. Just cleaned the old stuff from the cpu and installed it.
October 17, 2013 6:07:51 PM


nukemaster said:
MattBeastblood said:
nukemaster said:
Some fans sound a bit like that when running faster, but if it bugs you, get ahold of the card maker to see if can be RMAed.

my 5770 made some hell of a racket and XFX sent me a replacement cooler at my request. Worked out great, almost no down time and it was perfect after(I actually called them by phone as well).

The high pitched noise is called coil whine. It is a side effect of the high switching speeds on pc power systems.



So they only sent you a cooler? Meaning you installed it yourself?

To be honest, the rattling doesn't bother me at all, I just want to make sure it's not a serious problem. If there's risk, I will RMA. If it's just a noise that doesn't affect the reliability of the card, I'd rather not bother.

I'll see what XFX or newegg says I guess. Hopefully I don't have to return it.


They sent me the cooler because I requested it(I could have done a full card RMA). Early 5770's had problems with idle crashing because the voltage was too low at idle for some of the cards. The fix was to raise(and i think the clock was put at 400 and not 152 or something) the voltage on all the new ones. I did NOT want that in my media center system so I requested the new cooler.

It came with thermal paste pre-applied and everything. Just cleaned the old stuff from the cpu and installed it.


Oh ok. Not sure if I have the same issue but I sent a support ticket to XFX. They hopefully will listen to the video and tell me if I should RMA it. Hopefully not but, I definitely don't want my GPU to get fried LOL

Also, I had MSi Afterburner installed on my PC before just to monitor FPS and temperature. I didn't use it for over clocking but when I found out that overclocking will void warranty I uninstalled it. Hopefully because I never overclocked my GPU, they won't know it was ever on my PC. That would suck if my RMA got rejected over that
October 17, 2013 6:10:36 PM

No they can not tell(unless you did something drastic to the card). I use afterburner for temperatures and sometimes fan speed control.
October 18, 2013 3:03:34 AM

" the red metal strip on the side of the card vibrating against the heatpipe on the inside and can be stopped if I push the red strip against the heatpipe." - can you please try this and see if it fixes your issue while you hold it, if it does you need to look into either a proper RMA for a fix on their error or a way to hold it steady to something (which is going to generate a lot of heat)

EDIT: can't spell
October 18, 2013 3:10:51 AM

Some XFX cards (especially the ones with the metal brushed shroud) do rattle at high RPM. RMA it or make sure the card is perfectly horizontal without bending. Even the slightest bend will make the fans hit the shroud.

The other strange sounds in your video (and I can't believe your recorder actually picks it up) is coil whine. Perfectly safe and perfectly normal when abnormal amounts of frames are being rendered, but it baffles my mind that you are actually able to record it in your videos using bandicam. It must be leaking with EMI everywhere in your case.
October 18, 2013 5:04:13 AM

bouncedk said:
Some XFX cards (especially the ones with the metal brushed shroud) do rattle at high RPM. RMA it or make sure the card is perfectly horizontal without bending. Even the slightest bend will make the fans hit the shroud.

The other strange sounds in your video (and I can't believe your recorder actually picks it up) is coil whine. Perfectly safe and perfectly normal when abnormal amounts of frames are being rendered, but it baffles my mind that you are actually able to record it in your videos using bandicam. It must be leaking with EMI everywhere in your case.


Bandicam didn't record the coil whine, my microphone did. I had a condenser mic pointed directly at the GPU fan.

Bandicam just recorded the video, I replaced the bandicam audio with the fan noise and coil whine from my mic.

I'll try to see if it's not horizontal. Last night after messing with it a little bit it actually stopped making the noise even when it was working hard doing 120 FPS in Dead Space 3 maxed out completely. All my cooling fans were going full blast, and it was loud but sounded totally normal. I didn't have the rattle for some reason. I limited it to 60 FPS and it got much quieter of course, and I still didn't hear the rattle.

I'm just waiting to hear what XFX says. The GPU is still performing normally luckily.
October 18, 2013 5:20:13 AM

Ahh that makes a whole lot more sense then. Dammit, thought I spotted an anomaly in real life :( 
!