Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Safe (relative) overclocking for 24/7 limits for i7-3960X for Multiplier and BCLK on X79-Deluxe

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
October 17, 2013 11:12:03 PM

Hi

This is my first post. I need some expert advice on what is the relatively safe limit for the multiplier and BCLK. My rig is on 24/7 and I mainly use it for gaming and as a media server.

I've recently changed from RIVE to X79-Deluxe and have seen a significant improvement on stability as I play with the settings on the motherboard.

Currently I'm at BCLK 100 and Multiplier x48 with Intel Step speed enabled (never used to work with RIVE) Vcore hovering between 1-1,45 V and i'm pretty stable. I ran OCCT and Prime 95 for 15 mins each but my real stability test is using my rig normally i.e. resource intensive gaming for hours and had no issues at all.

I would like to push it a bit more (Civ 5 on Huge!) and wanted to play with the BCLK this time... what's your advice? what should be my incremental testing range? what signs should I be looking for to stop increasing the BCLK?

I know this is on the edge of "safe" and I'm fine with that ...I just dont want to cross the idiot line and break something :) 

Thanks for your help in advance.

Ehab

CPU - i7-3960X at 4.8GHz
Cooler - Corsair H100i
Mobo - Asus X79-Deluxe
Power Supply - Corsair AX1200
Memory - GRipjaws Z Series - Memory - 4 x 8 GB XMP 2400
GPU - Gigabyte GTX Titan
Corsair Force GT 240 x2 - Raid 0

a c 126 K Overclocking
October 18, 2013 1:36:53 AM

Hi,

So you're using 1.45V at the moment? if so that's quite high for a 24/7 overclock, what were your temps when you ran P95?

You could try using the 1.25 BLCK strap and a 39x Multi for 4875Mhz or a 40x multi for a 5Ghz overclock. Bare in mind that the BLCK straps also effect your memory speed.

You may also want to try the 1.67 BLCK strap but most 3930K/3960X's won't overclock with this strap.
m
0
l
October 18, 2013 9:49:03 AM

Hi Omgitzfatal

Thanks for responding. Yes, I'm at 1.45V but with intelstep it only goes up if loading it which is not 24/7 ... I assumed that would be acceptable.. with P96 the max temp I got was 70C.

Now I just tried to increase the BCLK.... 1.67 didn't boot 1.25 did.
125 x 36 = 4500MHz Vcore 1.372 idle 41C P95 64C great numbers.

Here's the strange thing, whenever I try to increase the multiplier above 36 ..e.g. 38 or 40 ... it gets saved in the bios but in CPU-Z, OCCT and Ai Suite 3 it is still 36...never changes... disabled/enabled stepspeed still no luck.

Any idea why it's stuck? tried to check in the forums couldn't find anything.

Thanks
m
0
l
a c 126 K Overclocking
October 18, 2013 10:58:11 AM

Stealthbit said:
Hi Omgitzfatal

Thanks for responding. Yes, I'm at 1.45V but with intelstep it only goes up if loading it which is not 24/7 ... I assumed that would be acceptable.. with P96 the max temp I got was 70C.

Now I just tried to increase the BCLK.... 1.67 didn't boot 1.25 did.
125 x 36 = 4500MHz Vcore 1.372 idle 41C P95 64C great numbers.

Here's the strange thing, whenever I try to increase the multiplier above 36 ..e.g. 38 or 40 ... it gets saved in the bios but in CPU-Z, OCCT and Ai Suite 3 it is still 36...never changes... disabled/enabled stepspeed still no luck.

Any idea why it's stuck? tried to check in the forums couldn't find anything.

Thanks


It's ultimately up to you, many people recommend to stay below 1.4V and others are comfortable with much higher voltage, just be aware that the higher the voltage the faster it'll degrade.
Your temps are great though, 70C is perfectly safe.

Yeah most X79 CPU's wont boot with a 1.67 strap.

In CPU-Z does it say something like x36 (12 - 38) if you set the multi to 38?
Basically what I'm asking is does CPU-Z recognize the maximum multiplier you set in the BIOS correctly in the brackets.

If so then you may need to increase the core current limit which is the amount of wattage the CPU is allowed to use.
m
0
l
October 18, 2013 11:46:06 AM

Rustyy117 said:
Stealthbit said:
Hi Omgitzfatal

Thanks for responding. Yes, I'm at 1.45V but with intelstep it only goes up if loading it which is not 24/7 ... I assumed that would be acceptable.. with P96 the max temp I got was 70C.

Now I just tried to increase the BCLK.... 1.67 didn't boot 1.25 did.
125 x 36 = 4500MHz Vcore 1.372 idle 41C P95 64C great numbers.

Here's the strange thing, whenever I try to increase the multiplier above 36 ..e.g. 38 or 40 ... it gets saved in the bios but in CPU-Z, OCCT and Ai Suite 3 it is still 36...never changes... disabled/enabled stepspeed still no luck.

Any idea why it's stuck? tried to check in the forums couldn't find anything.

Thanks


It's ultimately up to you, many people recommend to stay below 1.4V and others are comfortable with much higher voltage, just be aware that the higher the voltage the faster it'll degrade.
Your temps are great though, 70C is perfectly safe.

Yeah most X79 CPU's wont boot with a 1.67 strap.

In CPU-Z does it say something like x36 (12 - 38) if you set the multi to 38?
Basically what I'm asking is does CPU-Z recognize the maximum multiplier you set in the BIOS correctly in the brackets.

If so then you may need to increase the core current limit which is the amount of wattage the CPU is allowed to use.


It says x36 (12-57) ... current in CPU-Z is 130W

m
0
l
a c 126 K Overclocking
October 18, 2013 11:58:11 AM

Ok, One of the options in your BIOS should be called CPU current capability, change that to 250 or higher and also make sure if you have got a CPU thermal throttle limit in place that it isn't set to low. It seems like your CPU is throttling perhaps because of excess wattage or heat.
m
0
l
October 18, 2013 10:44:54 PM

Rustyy117 said:
Ok, One of the options in your BIOS should be called CPU current capability, change that to 250 or higher and also make sure if you have got a CPU thermal throttle limit in place that it isn't set to low. It seems like your CPU is throttling perhaps because of excess wattage or heat.


Hi

Played around with the current capability... no luck still stuck at x36 4500Mhz.

Seems maybe it is a limitation on the mobo when on 1.25 BCLK. I'm back to 1.00 and increased multiplier to 50 ... starting tests now.

Thanks for your help.
m
0
l
!