Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Should I update to Windows 8.1?

Last response: in Windows 8
Share
October 18, 2013 12:00:09 AM

Should I wait until Microsoft fixes driver compatibility or just update to 8.1 and hope for the best?

More about : update windows

October 18, 2013 12:03:06 AM

It's a gamble. I've done the upgrade, no problems here (parts listed in signature).

Best solution

a b * Windows 8
October 18, 2013 12:04:59 AM
Share

Windows 8.1 is technically a FIXED windows 8.

So this actually is MORE stable than Windows 8 vanilla. Its a VERY good idea to upgrade from 8 to 8.1.
Related resources
October 18, 2013 12:11:20 AM

Novuake said:
Windows 8.1 is technically a FIXED windows 8.

So this actually is MORE stable than Windows 8 vanilla. Its a VERY good idea to upgrade from 8 to 8.1.


I have the latest haswell hardware etc... and I just found out that MSI's network driver is not compatible with 8.1. So I'm a little skeptical and wanted a second opinion...
October 18, 2013 12:14:06 AM

You should upgrade to Windows 7. :lol: 

Seriously though...
a b * Windows 8
October 18, 2013 12:14:28 AM

MSI does not have its own network devices, what motherboard model do you have from MSI?

Most MSI board use Broadcom or Realtec network cards. And all major revisions from them already have drivers available for a few weeks now for Windows 8.1

What exact board?
What are your full specs for that matter?
Are you using windows 8 already?
October 18, 2013 12:19:34 AM

Thanks for everyone's confidence in 8.1, the only nightmare with 8.0 has been the live tile madness. I'm going to wait as I'm certain thousands of people are in a state of panic and asking themselves, why didn't I just wait a week...
a b * Windows 8
October 18, 2013 12:22:18 AM

NoL1c said:
You should upgrade to Windows 7. :lol: 

Seriously though...


I disagree. Windows 8 is really nice. Its just a preference things, hell compared to Vista and other previous screwups, windows 8 has been lived up to a great release OTHER than the fact that its selling badly.

October 18, 2013 12:23:29 AM

Novuake said:
MSI does not have its own network devices, what motherboard model do you have from MSI?

Most MSI board use Broadcom or Realtec network cards. And all major revisions from them already have drivers available for a few weeks now for Windows 8.1

What exact board?
What are your full specs for that matter?
Are you using windows 8 already?


MSI Z87 G45
Intel 4770k running at 4.3ghz
Qualcomm Atheros Killer network drivers
Windows 8.0 Pro
Gskill 32gb 2400mhz ram
Gtx 780
a b * Windows 8
October 18, 2013 12:28:30 AM

http://www.msi.com/product/mb/Z87-G45-GAMING.html#downl...

8.1 fully supported according to MSIs website.

title - Killer Network Driver
type - On-Board LAN Drivers
os - Win8.1 32, Win8.1 64, Win8 32, Win8 64, Win7 64, Win7 32
language - English
update - 2013-10-09
version - 1.0.30.1003
size - 102.37 MB
file - Killer_network_win78.zip


As you can see this was uploaded to their site 8 days ago.

The differences between 8 and 8.1 are MOSTLY cosmetic. So really, stop worrying.
October 18, 2013 12:36:14 AM

Novuake said:
http://www.msi.com/product/mb/Z87-G45-GAMING.html#downl...

8.1 fully supported according to MSIs website.

title - Killer Network Driver
type - On-Board LAN Drivers
os - Win8.1 32, Win8.1 64, Win8 32, Win8 64, Win7 64, Win7 32
language - English
update - 2013-10-09
version - 1.0.30.1003
size - 102.37 MB
file - Killer_network_win78.zip


As you can see this was uploaded to their site 8 days ago.

The differences between 8 and 8.1 are MOSTLY cosmetic. So really, stop worrying.


Great News, thanks for the info, looks like I will give 8.1 a chance sooner than later. This site has so many helpful people, I love it!
a b * Windows 8
October 18, 2013 12:38:01 AM

:D  No problem. Glad to help.
October 18, 2013 1:40:05 AM

Is this not supposed to be an automatic update? I tried several times yesterday and this morning (GMT +1) to get an update with no luck. Is it rolling out or do I have to roll somewhere to find it?
October 18, 2013 1:42:06 AM

Saga Lout said:
Is this not supposed to be an automatic update? I tried several times yesterday and this morning (GMT +1) to get an update with no luck. Is it rolling out or do I have to roll somewhere to find it?


Goto Microsoft.com to get the update
a b * Windows 8
October 18, 2013 1:44:33 AM

Saga Lout said:
Is this not supposed to be an automatic update? I tried several times yesterday and this morning (GMT +1) to get an update with no luck. Is it rolling out or do I have to roll somewhere to find it?


I think its being rolled out in waves automatically, since some people are getting it as an update and others not, but its available for manual upgrade too.

Not sure of the methodology here.
October 18, 2013 1:46:57 AM

Novuake said:
Saga Lout said:
Is this not supposed to be an automatic update? I tried several times yesterday and this morning (GMT +1) to get an update with no luck. Is it rolling out or do I have to roll somewhere to find it?


I think its being rolled out in waves automatically, since some people are getting it as an update and others not, but its available for manual upgrade too.

Not sure of the methodology here.


I'm installing it right now, make sure to run windows update and install everything before you update
October 18, 2013 1:47:00 AM

Many thanks, Novuake - will trot across the pond and see if I can find it. I wasn't sure if I was being passed over, already having a working Start button and menu. :D 
a b * Windows 8
October 18, 2013 1:49:49 AM

Saga Lout said:
Many thanks, Novuake - will trot across the pond and see if I can find it. I wasn't sure if I was being passed over, already having a working Start button and menu. :D 


I actually removed my added one! LOL not sure what would happen if you were to upgrade to 8.1 with a third party Start button already added on. Nor am I in the mood to repair windows just to find out what would happen.
So let me know if it went smoothly! :D 
October 18, 2013 2:01:04 AM

Novuake said:
Saga Lout said:
Many thanks, Novuake - will trot across the pond and see if I can find it. I wasn't sure if I was being passed over, already having a working Start button and menu. :D 


I actually removed my added one! LOL not sure what would happen if you were to upgrade to 8.1 with a third party Start button already added on. Nor am I in the mood to repair windows just to find out what would happen.
So let me know if it went smoothly! :D 


Classic shell was removed after the 8.1 update with no bad effects. For those that play games, re-install the nvidia driver to fix your games, for some reason Microsoft thinks everyone plays games with 3D glasses...
a b * Windows 8
October 18, 2013 2:05:23 AM

Aedrah said:

Classic shell was removed after the 8.1 update with no bad effects. For those that play games, re-install the nvidia driver to fix your games, for some reason Microsoft thinks everyone plays games with 3D glasses...


This is why I love Toms. Thanks!
Not using Nvidia though on my gaming rig, so don't care. :D 
October 18, 2013 2:45:33 AM

It's not looking good at the moment. I'm blocked from both the Update buttons on the website and the Store tile does nothing. Either it's busy and not taking calls from the Mother Country at the moment or it's because I have (now had) iStart and Classic Shell. I've uninstalled iStart but the memory lingers on - I think they've got it in for me.
October 18, 2013 4:16:18 AM

Saga Lout said:
It's not looking good at the moment. I'm blocked from both the Update buttons on the website and the Store tile does nothing. Either it's busy and not taking calls from the Mother Country at the moment or it's because I have (now had) iStart and Classic Shell. I've uninstalled iStart but the memory lingers on - I think they've got it in for me.




make sure windows 8 is completely updated then go in to the windows store on the start screen ther is a huge tile ther that says upgrade to windows 8.1 for FREE
October 18, 2013 4:53:27 AM

Store tie does nothing except bounce. It has a tick in te top right corner and the number 15 below that in the bottom right. It's turned on as a Live Tile but goes nowhere. After lunch I've checked to make sure Firefox isn't the default browser and went to the download site, clicked Get the free update and nothing happens. I bought this system from MS for £25 British back in the January special offer - perhaps they exclude that from free Service Pack updates

All updates except this one are current as of this morning - only two optionals I don't want - Silverlight and Bing!
a b * Windows 8
October 18, 2013 5:00:23 AM

Saga Lout said:
Store tie does nothing except bounce. It has a tick in te top right corner and the number 15 below that in the bottom right. It's turned on as a Live Tile but goes nowhere. After lunch I've checked to make sure Firefox isn't the default browser and went to the download site, clicked Get the free update and nothing happens. I bought this system from MS for £25 British back in the January special offer - perhaps they exclude that from free Service Pack updates

All updates except this one are current as of this morning - only two optionals I don't want - Silverlight and Bing!


Amen.

Although I could not imagine what the issue is. Hope you figure it out.
October 18, 2013 5:21:04 AM

Yes Atheros drivers are a PITA to deal with, however 8.1 update went smoothly on my laptop which uses an Atheros network adapter. Just go to the manufacturer's site and find the driver, I don't see why it wouldn't be compatible with 8.1, that makes no sense.
a b * Windows 8
October 18, 2013 5:25:55 AM

teknobug said:
Yes Atheros drivers are a PITA to deal with, however 8.1 update went smoothly on my laptop which uses an Atheros network adapter. Just go to the manufacturer's site and find the driver, I don't see why it wouldn't be compatible with 8.1, that makes no sense.


That is why people ask FIRST. I happen to think asking first is a VERY good idea. :D 
January 9, 2014 5:03:24 PM

its completely up to you. windows 8 has many stability issues and changes aside from metro that make the os complete crap imo windows 8.1 did an exceedingly good job a fixing some of the issues. in windows 8 i got a ton of bsods and driver issues aswell as compatibility issues i could not get by. with windows 8.1 i still have some of the issues previously experienced however less frequent for example i was getting bsods whenever i restarted, shutdown, put my laptop to sleep or hibernate mode now i get a bsod when sleeping and hybernating (no hardware fault) i seem to notice explorer also crashes eg the screen goes white and explorer has stopped responding and all that jaz. in short i would suggest you upgrade yes but if you run into many issues ( providing your hardware and drivers support and are available ) i would say downgrade and wait to see what they come up with next. i still agree that 8/8.1 is another vista lol
a b * Windows 8
January 9, 2014 9:44:15 PM

cal90 said:
its completely up to you. windows 8 has many stability issues and changes aside from metro that make the os complete crap imo windows 8.1 did an exceedingly good job a fixing some of the issues. in windows 8 i got a ton of bsods and driver issues aswell as compatibility issues i could not get by. with windows 8.1 i still have some of the issues previously experienced however less frequent for example i was getting bsods whenever i restarted, shutdown, put my laptop to sleep or hibernate mode now i get a bsod when sleeping and hybernating (no hardware fault) i seem to notice explorer also crashes eg the screen goes white and explorer has stopped responding and all that jaz. in short i would suggest you upgrade yes but if you run into many issues ( providing your hardware and drivers support and are available ) i would say downgrade and wait to see what they come up with next. i still agree that 8/8.1 is another vista lol


Why are you commenting on a thread from 3 months ago that has already been resolved?

Your Avatar is very appropriate. :) 
January 9, 2014 10:31:34 PM

lol thanks. i always post answer to these questions i just did not look at the date first
!