Solved

Is a 144HZ monitor worth it ?

I'm thinking of buying an ASUS VG248QE 144HZ monitor,is there really a big difference between 60hz and 144hz ?
Reply to ArmanOkluoglu
31 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about 144hz monitor worth
  1. bouncedk said:
    Only if you use 3D. If you don't, 60hz is fine and dandy for everything else.


    No no no,I'm not talking about the 3D feature.I'm talking about games,how would it affect the smoothness of the games ?
    Reply to ArmanOkluoglu
  2. Bouncedk is incorrect. There is a huge difference between 60hz and 120 or 144hz when it comes to smoothness and feel. Most die hard gamers understand this and perfer this. The problem that most people have is that they buy a 120hz/144hz monitor and they run a crappy video card that can't run high enough fps in the games they play to match the hz rate so they don't feel the benefit of the 120/144hz monitor. If your a 1080p gamer playing the latest games, you better have a really good video card or sli setup that will allow you to average at a minimum 110-150 fps in all your games otherwise don't buy the monitor.
    Reply to Stickem
  3. Best answer
    if your gpu is capable of delivering 120+ fps, then the gameplay will be smoother. You will notice the difference, no doubt. If your gpu cant do 120 fps, then dont bother, because you wont be able to enjoy the full experience of such a monitor.
    I should say this... before i had 144 hz monitor, i didnt think there will be much difference, but after having it i can't go back.
    the 3d difference between 60 hz and 120-144 hz is muuch more observable indeed.
    PS : professional games often suggest having as many fps as posible, even by lowering quality. they would not recomend 120 + fps if they had a 60hz monitor.
    Reply to clau_aclx
  4. Stickem said:
    Bouncedk is incorrect. There is a huge difference between 60hz and 120 or 144hz when it comes to smoothness and feel. Most die hard gamers understand this and perfer this. The problem that most people have is that they buy a 120hz/144hz monitor and they run a crappy video card that can't run high enough fps in the games they play to match the hz rate so they don't feel the benefit of the 120/144hz monitor. If your a 1080p gamer playing the latest games, you better have a really good video card or sli setup that will allow you to average at a minimum 110-150 fps in all your games otherwise don't buy the monitor.


    Is GTX 660 Ti SLI enough ?
    Reply to ArmanOkluoglu
  5. O yes, a 660ti sli setup will be just fine for a 120/44hz monitor with todays games. I used to run a 670 sli setup with the same Asus 144hz monitor so I have a little bit of knowledge about it and plus that setup ran great! So, with that being said I feel like the monitor purchase would be a good choice for you because your going to be able to average pretty high fps in just about any game you play. Enjoy the monitor and let us know how you like it when you've had some time to play on it for a while.
    Reply to Stickem
  6. i have an asus g75v with a gtx 670m card is there any way i can make this setup be competitive eg buying a monitor or updating to windows 8 to improve to latest direct x ?

    and how far behind am i from a top of the line gaming rig ? i run bf4 on low so i can get as fast as possible
    Reply to fegan91
  7. The refresh rate most certainly DOES matter. That's the reason why a 120hz HDTV is better than a 60hz one. There's a problem with 60hz monitors called motion blur that causes fast moving objects on screen to appear out of focus and jaggy. The monitor can't redraw the moving object fast enough to keep up with it's motion. This manifests itself on television a lot in sporting events, like when a running back has the ball and is running it in for the TD. He is moving faster than the television can redraw him so he appears blurry at 60hz. At 120hz, he is crystal clear from the start of his run all the way to his victory dance in the end zone. Action films with a lot of running around and fighting also tend to suffer from this at 60hz. It's no different in fast paced games where there are a lot of objects whizzing around on the screen at the same time. 144hz monitors can handle the redraw necessary for fluid motion, where 60hz monitors stumble.
    Reply to animekenji
  8. Hi

    I have one of these monitors and an Nvidia 680 video card.
    I can tell you that there is a noticeable difference in the smoothness in games over my old 60 Hz monitor.

    It's not just that you see more frames because of the fast refresh rate but it does actually effect the way that the animations display.

    It actually seems to slow things down, but in a good way, I haven't noticed that it effects timing in games, but it feels like you get more time to think, if that makes any sense.

    Mike
    Reply to Mike Moss
  9. Can a 970 push 120+ FPS on games like battlefield 4 ect.?
    Reply to C_Murray
  10. C_Murray said:
    Can a 970 push 120+ FPS on games like battlefield 4 ect.?


    I'm pretty sure that is a yes if you are running it in 1920x1080.
    Reply to Rjected
  11. yea i have a 970 and it pushes 120+ fps on ultra with max AA
    Reply to C_Murray
  12. wow
    Reply to C_Murray
  13. clau_aclx said:
    if your gpu is capable of delivering 120+ fps, then the gameplay will be smoother. You will notice the difference, no doubt. If your gpu cant do 120 fps, then dont bother, because you wont be able to enjoy the full experience of such a monitor.
    I should say this... before i had 144 hz monitor, i didnt think there will be much difference, but after having it i can't go back.
    the 3d difference between 60 hz and 120-144 hz is muuch more observable indeed.
    PS : professional games often suggest having as many fps as posible, even by lowering quality. they would not recomend 120 + fps if they had a 60hz monitor.


    What GPUs can run 1080p at 144 fps?
    Reply to kenrickandbros
  14. kenrickandbros said:
    clau_aclx said:
    if your gpu is capable of delivering 120+ fps, then the gameplay will be smoother. You will notice the difference, no doubt. If your gpu cant do 120 fps, then dont bother, because you wont be able to enjoy the full experience of such a monitor.
    I should say this... before i had 144 hz monitor, i didnt think there will be much difference, but after having it i can't go back.
    the 3d difference between 60 hz and 120-144 hz is muuch more observable indeed.
    PS : professional games often suggest having as many fps as posible, even by lowering quality. they would not recomend 120 + fps if they had a 60hz monitor.


    What GPUs can run 1080p at 144 fps?


    NVIDIA series would be 980 and up. AMD series would be 290/390 and up. I was able to pull 144 fps with my old 980 on the ASUS VG248QE. Then I upgraded to the 980ti and I upgraded my monitor to the ASUS ROG Swift 1440p G-Sync monitor and my 980ti can handle 144 fps (granted the game has to allow 144Hz).
    Reply to derekecycle
  15. Stickem said:
    Bouncedk is incorrect. There is a huge difference between 60hz and 120 or 144hz when it comes to smoothness and feel. Most die hard gamers understand this and perfer this. The problem that most people have is that they buy a 120hz/144hz monitor and they run a crappy video card that can't run high enough fps in the games they play to match the hz rate so they don't feel the benefit of the 120/144hz monitor. If your a 1080p gamer playing the latest games, you better have a really good video card or sli setup that will allow you to average at a minimum 110-150 fps in all your games otherwise don't buy the monitor.


    Very Well said.
    Reply to Uzzy_03
  16. Stickem said:
    Bouncedk is incorrect. There is a huge difference between 60hz and 120 or 144hz when it comes to smoothness and feel. Most die hard gamers understand this and perfer this. The problem that most people have is that they buy a 120hz/144hz monitor and they run a crappy video card that can't run high enough fps in the games they play to match the hz rate so they don't feel the benefit of the 120/144hz monitor. If your a 1080p gamer playing the latest games, you better have a really good video card or sli setup that will allow you to average at a minimum 110-150 fps in all your games otherwise don't buy the monitor.


    Very Well said.
    Reply to Uzzy_03
  17. Stickem said:
    Bouncedk is incorrect. There is a huge difference between 60hz and 120 or 144hz when it comes to smoothness and feel. Most die hard gamers understand this and perfer this. The problem that most people have is that they buy a 120hz/144hz monitor and they run a crappy video card that can't run high enough fps in the games they play to match the hz rate so they don't feel the benefit of the 120/144hz monitor. If your a 1080p gamer playing the latest games, you better have a really good video card or sli setup that will allow you to average at a minimum 110-150 fps in all your games otherwise don't buy the monitor.

    Why aim so high? 110-150 Hz would be very good, of course, but even 85-110 would be a huge improvement. Why do I think so?..because I use to run a CRT at 85Hz, and it was way better, and easier on the eyes, than even the standard 72Hz of the time. Perhaps an extra 13-25Hz seems trivial but, I assure you, it's not. Of, course, the higher the figure, the better the bang for the buck, but you don't need to be hitting 110Hz+ to make the headroom worth having.
    Reply to 7Fred7
  18. i have a gtx 750ti and an i5 4690 and i thinking of getting a 144 hz monitor and im hitting around 200 fps in csgo is it really worth switching?
    Reply to Cxrter
  19. Cxrter said:
    i have a gtx 750ti and an i5 4690 and i thinking of getting a 144 hz monitor and im hitting around 200 fps in csgo is it really worth switching?


    Yes, the type game that benefits from higher refresh rate the most is first person shooter (CSGO).
    Reply to kenrickandbros
  20. I owned ASUS VG278HE for more than two years and I loved it. You can play games with 144fps, feels silky smooth when action is intense. But you need a good card though. I paired it with 980Ti, so the point is if you have high tier card, IT IS WORTH IT :)
    Reply to subZEROx264
  21. kenrickandbros said:
    Cxrter said:
    i have a gtx 750ti and an i5 4690 and i thinking of getting a 144 hz monitor and im hitting around 200 fps in csgo is it really worth switching?


    Yes, the type game that benefits from higher refresh rate the most is first person shooter (CSGO).


    thanks
    Reply to Cxrter
  22. I just bought that monitor 4 days ago. After a lot of researsh, this vh248qe was the best choise for me... i have it with a strix 980 ocd to 120% geting 1476mhz and memory to 8000mhz and 6600k ocd @4.4, with cs go u get like between 300 to 450 fps more than enough. I play it with vsync triple buffer looks great! By that in that particular game u only use like 50% of the card of course and battlefield hardline u get more 100+fps in ultra. So go for it in my opinion. U will love it!
    Reply to Hcarregosa
  23. would a GTX 960 work well with a 144hz monitor because im like trying to make a decision but finding it hard
    Reply to monster1
  24. Hcarregosa said:
    I just bought that monitor 4 days ago. After a lot of researsh, this vh248qe was the best choise for me... i have it with a strix 980 ocd to 120% geting 1476mhz and memory to 8000mhz and 6600k ocd @4.4, with cs go u get like between 300 to 450 fps more than enough. I play it with vsync triple buffer looks great! By that in that particular game u only use like 50% of the card of course and battlefield hardline u get more 100+fps in ultra. So go for it in my opinion. U will love it!


    congrats on getting da monitor and thanks :D
    Reply to Cxrter
  25. monster1 said:
    would a GTX 960 work well with a 144hz monitor because im like trying to make a decision but finding it hard

    Yes no problem, but make sure u buy a 4gb one.. is it to play CS:go? U get 144fps easy to that kind of games.
    Reply to Hcarregosa
  26. Just my 2 cents worth here ... I run a pair of 960's SLI'd, and because I have an i7-4790K I am able to run the PhysX off the CPU. This setup works very well for me. I mostly play World of Tanks at 1080p and maxed out. I can rip 120+ fps easily, which is not too bad for an online game given a ping average of 40ms. I view all this on 60Hz screens with HDMI connections, and the 120+ fps makes a huge difference in game play. You can actually take advantage of that fraction of a second you are ahead of the competition. Although I haven't run this on a 120/144 screen, my take is that as a gamer, one would be able to capitalize on and additional fraction of a second, and it would look awesome too.
    A 27", 144 MHz monitor is definitely on my Christmas list :)
    Reply to Yogi2367
  27. Quote:
    Bouncedk is incorrect. There is a huge difference between 60hz and 120 or 144hz when it comes to smoothness and feel. Most die hard gamers understand this and perfer this. The problem that most people have is that they buy a 144hz monitor and they run a crappy video card that can't run high enough fps in the games they play to match the hz rate so they don't feel the benefit of the 120/144hz monitor. If your an exhaust fan playing the latest games, you better have a really good couple shirt or sli setup that will allow you to average at a minimum 110-150 fps in all your games otherwise don't buy the monitor.

    Thanks for your sharing! Do you know what is the best price for 144hz monitor? What brand of monitor should i choose?
    Reply to kevinpham02
  28. Please check http://www.bestmonitorshz.com/144hz-gaming-monitors/ for best 144hz monitors. You can get monitor at lowest price from that website. BenQ XL2730Z 27 Inch 144Hz Gaming Monitor is best 144z monitor.
    Reply to linapeter001
  29. I have a i7 6770k with a 1060 that should be good enough right? Cause I just ordered one
    Reply to airrer01
  30. airrer01 said:
    I have a i7 6770k with a 1060 that should be good enough right? Cause I just ordered one


    Absolutely!
    Reply to Burnitdown
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

Asus Monitors Graphics