Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

FPS drop while gaming on laptop + High temp

Tags:
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
October 18, 2013 5:59:15 AM

Hi
I game a lot on my Dell XPS 15 which i bought about 1.5 years back.
It has an i7 4 cores processor,a nvidia gt540m grfx card and 4 gb ram.
I used to play all sorts of games like crysis 2 and battlefield 3 and they worked just fine. Even crysis 3 worked great
I recently reinstalled my windows and installed crysis 2 again. The fps has dropped a lot when i play it now.
PLS HELP!
Is it because of the overheating of my gpu?? Because my gpu would go up to 100 degrees and still work properly.
I have my nvidia drivers updated
Also, my laptop automatically shut down after 10 mins of crysis 2.
How can i get back my smooth gaming experience back??

October 18, 2013 6:03:05 AM

Take your laptop to someone who knows how to take it apart and clean it out. Most likely its overheating due to being dirty, which in turn throttles down the CPU and GPU til it cools itself off.
October 18, 2013 6:04:10 AM

I also had a Dell XPS 15 once upong a time, sounds like the same model actually. I remember having a ton of overheating issues with it. Laptops (even gaming ones) just are not known for being able to stand up to long gaming sessions. They also are apt to generate a lot of internal dust. I would suggest shooting compressed air into every orifice of that thing, even peel the bottom off if you can and clean out everything. After that, invest in a good laptop cooler that both raises the machine as well as draws air out and away from its vital components.
Related resources
October 18, 2013 6:05:10 AM

It's most likely overheating. Did you try to play on a solid surface? Or do you play in bed, or is your laptop on top of your pillow? I don't think this is a software issue bro. All the drivers of your laptop are updated right?
October 18, 2013 6:08:17 AM

adimeister said:
It's most likely overheating. Did you try to play on a solid surface? Or do you play in bed, or is your laptop on top of your pillow? I don't think this is a software issue bro. All the drivers of your laptop are updated right?

My laptop is always on my study table
my video card drivers are updated.

October 18, 2013 6:12:02 AM

Captdonno said:
I also had a Dell XPS 15 once upong a time, sounds like the same model actually. I remember having a ton of overheating issues with it. Laptops (even gaming ones) just are not known for being able to stand up to long gaming sessions. They also are apt to generate a lot of internal dust. I would suggest shooting compressed air into every orifice of that thing, even peel the bottom off if you can and clean out everything. After that, invest in a good laptop cooler that both raises the machine as well as draws air out and away from its vital components.

Will it help in increasing the fps while gaming??
Can i get my smooth gaming experience back?

Best solution

October 18, 2013 6:14:32 AM
Share

venkat201097 said:
Captdonno said:
I also had a Dell XPS 15 once upong a time, sounds like the same model actually. I remember having a ton of overheating issues with it. Laptops (even gaming ones) just are not known for being able to stand up to long gaming sessions. They also are apt to generate a lot of internal dust. I would suggest shooting compressed air into every orifice of that thing, even peel the bottom off if you can and clean out everything. After that, invest in a good laptop cooler that both raises the machine as well as draws air out and away from its vital components.

Will it help in increasing the fps while gaming??
Can i get my smooth gaming experience back?


It will most certainly help your graphics card get back into fighting shape and help your system run much more similar to when it was new. You may also try and go into your laptop's power settings and make sure it is not employing a power saving mode that may be starving your processor and/or video card of the power they need to run at full load.
October 18, 2013 6:17:35 AM

Captdonno said:
venkat201097 said:
Captdonno said:
I also had a Dell XPS 15 once upong a time, sounds like the same model actually. I remember having a ton of overheating issues with it. Laptops (even gaming ones) just are not known for being able to stand up to long gaming sessions. They also are apt to generate a lot of internal dust. I would suggest shooting compressed air into every orifice of that thing, even peel the bottom off if you can and clean out everything. After that, invest in a good laptop cooler that both raises the machine as well as draws air out and away from its vital components.

Will it help in increasing the fps while gaming??
Can i get my smooth gaming experience back?


It will most certainly help your graphics card get back into fighting shape and help your system run much more similar to when it was new. You may also try and go into your laptop's power settings and make sure it is not employing a power saving mode that may be starving your processor and/or video card of the power they need to run at full load.

Thanks a lot
I shall get my laptop cleaned asap

October 18, 2013 6:27:22 AM


Thanks a lot
I shall get my laptop cleaned asap
said:

Thanks a lot
I shall get my laptop cleaned asap


That's your best solution. Good luck and I hope it helps get some of those frames back!

October 18, 2013 6:54:46 AM

You could also purchase a laptop cooler to place underneath it , they definitely work at lowering temps, they are quite affordable too.
October 19, 2013 12:13:29 AM

Or you can take your home fan and direct it towards your laptop.
!