Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

What watts power supply should I use

Last response: in Systems
Share
October 18, 2013 7:26:06 AM

I want to add new power supply to my pc as it got spoiled.

Here are my existing and new components which i will add later which will make up my system. Also I am not going to over clock anything


Standard ASUS mother board no cross fire feature
AMD phenom 2 X6 1100T i.e 6 core 3.3 ghz processor
radeon 6970 [ only 1 card ]
5 sata HDD's
1 sata DVD writer
seperate lan card [TP Link]
seperate sound card
4 memory sticks [16 GB in total] [1666 mhz] DDR3
Total 4 fans viz, 1 processor, 3 cabinet fans All standard ones [I exclude the fan with the power supply obviously]
10 usb ports all occupied.

Please tell me what WATTS SMPS I should purchase for this configuration.

Also a side note. I heard that SMPS lose wattage after a period of time. Can someone tell me roughly how much watts are reduced per year.

Thanks in advance for any help.

More about : watts power supply

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
October 18, 2013 8:02:22 AM

My philosophy is to buy the highest wattage quality PSU you can afford. It won't cost you any more to run and will probably last forever. I don't ever want to run a PSU over 50% of it's rated capacity. Unfortunately, most people ignore this simple effective advice and buy something on sale that is barely big enough to run all their equipment. Good luck.
Share
October 18, 2013 8:04:48 AM

With these details you provided,I used a PSU Calculator and found out that you'll need at least a 600W PSU. If you're good on budget,go for some good brands like Seasonic or Corsair
And about the PSU's performance getting reduced....That maybe some slight variations and you're not gonna notice it. Get a good branded PSU,and you're safe.
m
0
l
Related resources
October 19, 2013 10:14:36 AM

ram1009 said:
My philosophy is to buy the highest wattage quality PSU you can afford. It won't cost you any more to run and will probably last forever. I don't ever want to run a PSU over 50% of it's rated capacity. Unfortunately, most people ignore this simple effective advice and buy something on sale that is barely big enough to run all their equipment. Good luck.

I read some where that what your system requirements is that watts should be the median of the power supply unit. Which means if I require 500 watts I should go for 1000 watts power supply. OK fine so this matches with what you said. Not sure how right I am. But then If high or double watts SMPS is installed will the electronics [cards and motherboard] blow out due to so much supply or will there be some other side effect like shocks and all?

Also will I not get a high power bill. I assume that for a 500 watts demand, a 1000 watts SMPS gives out that much [here 500 watts] but it takes in that much only say 1000 watts or more which means the remaining gets wasted. Please clarify. Thanks again for the help.
m
0
l
October 19, 2013 10:16:52 AM

dannylivesforher said:
With these details you provided,I used a PSU Calculator and found out that you'll need at least a 600W PSU. If you're good on budget,go for some good brands like Seasonic or Corsair
And about the PSU's performance getting reduced....That maybe some slight variations and you're not gonna notice it. Get a good branded PSU,and you're safe.

Thanks for your help. Just a bit more curious. Just how many watts are lost per year if you have any idea. Thanks.
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
October 19, 2013 12:27:07 PM

a b said:
ram1009 said:
My philosophy is to buy the highest wattage quality PSU you can afford. It won't cost you any more to run and will probably last forever. I don't ever want to run a PSU over 50% of it's rated capacity. Unfortunately, most people ignore this simple effective advice and buy something on sale that is barely big enough to run all their equipment. Good luck.

I read some where that what your system requirements is that watts should be the median of the power supply unit. Which means if I require 500 watts I should go for 1000 watts power supply. OK fine so this matches with what you said. Not sure how right I am. But then If high or double watts SMPS is installed will the electronics [cards and motherboard] blow out due to so much supply or will there be some other side effect like shocks and all?

Also will I not get a high power bill. I assume that for a 500 watts demand, a 1000 watts SMPS gives out that much [here 500 watts] but it takes in that much only say 1000 watts or more which means the remaining gets wasted. Please clarify. Thanks again for the help.


I think many people wonder as you are. The answer is NO. No matter how big the PSU the load will dictate how much power is consumed and therefore the size of your power bill. Efficiency will vary some with load but as long as you stay around 50% you're doing as good as you can do. The remaining wattage is reserve. Running any kind of power supply at less than full capacity puts significantly less stress on the components. Think of it as an insurance policy.
m
0
l
October 19, 2013 8:01:01 PM

a b said:
dannylivesforher said:
With these details you provided,I used a PSU Calculator and found out that you'll need at least a 600W PSU. If you're good on budget,go for some good brands like Seasonic or Corsair
And about the PSU's performance getting reduced....That maybe some slight variations and you're not gonna notice it. Get a good branded PSU,and you're safe.

Thanks for your help. Just a bit more curious. Just how many watts are lost per year if you have any idea. Thanks.


PSU can degrade slightly in terms of the amount of power it can deliver. Like,say a low-quality 500W PSU,which though impossible, has been delivering 500W,and if that's been run hard for 5 years,might degrade during that time to only be able to provide 450W.
So each year,with a low quality PSU,you may lose like 10W.
m
0
l
!