7970 Crossfire deliberation.

Thomas Watkins

Honorable
Oct 18, 2013
I'm currently considering purchasing an extra 7970, but I'm worried about the age old problem of power consumption. Here's what i've got :
850W XFX PSU
Z77 Sabretooth
i3770k
xfx 7970 black edition.
1x SSD & 1x HDD
I've also got a fair few case fans if that makes any difference. Would I be able to get away with an extra xfx 7970 standard edition? I know I made made a mistake sticking with XFX, but the single 7970 works pretty good, just want a performance boost. The amazon page says it uses 500w, but people report otherwise when running crossfire. Any help would be appreciated.

Solution

When you crossfire 2 cards with different clock speeds, they'll both work on the lowest clock speed between the two, so your cards will work on the 925MHz Clock speed instead of the 1000MHz.

Thomas Watkins

Honorable
Oct 18, 2013
Thanks dude, may I ask one last question. I have the black edition, but my budget is £260 so i'm thinking of getting a standard DD XFX 7970 for the second card, it's core clock is 925? and the black edition one is 1000, just wondering if there is any discrepancies if I don't get the EXACT same models. What do you think? Do I have to buy another black edition? I'm a nub to crossfires, but I literally can't wait to witness the graphics explosion.

Thomas Watkins

Honorable
Oct 18, 2013
Thanks dude, may I ask one last question. I have the black edition, but my budget is £260 so i'm thinking of getting a standard DD XFX 7970 for the second card, it's core clock is 925? and the black edition one is 1000, just wondering if there is any discrepancies if I don't get the EXACT same models. What do you think? Do I have to buy another black edition? I'm a nub to crossfires, but I literally can't wait to witness the graphics explosion.

IAMEXTREME

Honorable

When you crossfire 2 cards with different clock speeds, they'll both work on the lowest clock speed between the two, so your cards will work on the 925MHz Clock speed instead of the 1000MHz.

Solution

Thomas Watkins

Honorable
Oct 18, 2013
Thanks dude, I've just cancelled my order before it dispatched, going to spend the extra £20 on the black edition now I found it nice and cheap on Amazon. £264. And literally all the other websites are charging £320. Muchos gracias, I can't wait to enter the world of insane frames per second.

TRENDING THREADS