Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

My first build. Suggestions?

Last response: in Components
Share
October 18, 2013 7:35:04 PM

I have been researching this stuff for a few months now and I thought I would post up what I have so far. If you have a suggestion then please share it :) 

I will be using this set up for Multi Monitor regular computer use. (3 - 23" and then 2 - 55" overhead) I do a lot of multi tasking for work, requiring me to look at multiple screens while running multiple programs, I also like to watch movies while working. I have a GoPro and I do quite a bit of filming and editing, nothing crazy but it does require a little juice, but this is not the main reason so its not suppose to have top priority. I like to stream and game at the same time sometimes so I may be playing on eyefinity and then I may have the two other screens monitoring my stream and stuff. I do a little bit of file transferring every now and then, but nothing more than 20-30 GB at a time. I would like to spend between $2500 - $3000.

I may wait until they announce the R9 290x so prices may drop, but I think for what I am doing I dont need dual 290x's so I will save my money.

Let me know what you guys think and let me know if this build works good together.



PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($319.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($94.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($139.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($174.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ Outlet PC)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 4GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($447.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 4GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($447.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: NZXT Switch 810 (Black) ATX Full Tower Case ($136.00 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast 850W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($117.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.98 @ Outlet PC)
Monitor: Acer H236HLbid 60Hz 23.0" Monitor ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Acer H236HLbid 60Hz 23.0" Monitor ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Acer H236HLbid 60Hz 23.0" Monitor ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $2606.82
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-10-18 19:39 EDT-0400)

More about : build suggestions

October 18, 2013 7:48:36 PM

Only issue I see is the mobo. It's not bad its just that for a i7 + 2x770 you want a good mobo. Is look for ones in the $180 range. More options and improved stability.
m
0
l
October 18, 2013 8:04:06 PM

envy14tpe said:
Only issue I see is the mobo. It's not bad its just that for a i7 + 2x770 you want a good mobo. Is look for ones in the $180 range. More options and improved stability.


Mobo suggestion ? Thanks for your reply!
m
0
l
Related resources
October 18, 2013 11:27:29 PM

This isn't cheap but nor is your needs.Asus Maximus
pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-motherboard-maximusvihero
m
0
l
October 19, 2013 9:10:45 PM

x24x said:
what do u guys think about this cpu fan?

thanks! for my build, I think that 2x 770s would be ok. Not going for anything too crazy and I can always upgrade in the future.

what do you guys think about this cpu fan?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


Personally, I'd go with a Noctua NH-D14. Amazing performance and quiet. But looking at the CoolerMaster V8 I assume you want a heatsink/fan with a little edge to it (when you look inside the case) However, I wouldn't get it cuz it's 5dB louder than Noctua yet both coolers cool about the same. Also, the V8 is $20 more.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

review about noise levels:
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-r...
m
0
l
October 19, 2013 10:14:10 PM

envy14tpe said:
x24x said:
what do u guys think about this cpu fan?

thanks! for my build, I think that 2x 770s would be ok. Not going for anything too crazy and I can always upgrade in the future.

what do you guys think about this cpu fan?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


Personally, I'd go with a Noctua NH-D14. Amazing performance and quiet. But looking at the CoolerMaster V8 I assume you want a heatsink/fan with a little edge to it (when you look inside the case) However, I wouldn't get it cuz it's 5dB louder than Noctua yet both coolers cool about the same. Also, the V8 is $20 more.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

review about noise levels:
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-r...


Thanks again for your reply!

Can you take a look at my current build?
I updated a few things.
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1QJHE

I didn't change my CPU cooler yet. I was going to ask you if you think water cooling like those CPU blocks? I want something that is decently installed where I can't really mess it up, but I want efficiency a top priority.
m
0
l
October 19, 2013 11:14:03 PM

RAM: You listed 1600 CAS 10 for $140. Get 1866 CAS 9 instead. It will perform faster. You can find it for about the same price:
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gskill-memory-f31866c9d16g...
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gskill-memory-f31600c9d16g...

PSU: Here's a PSU with same specs but $20 less and made by Seasonic (top tier manufacturer without a doubt)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Your choice of case makes me think you should do water cooling. That case can easily accommodate a setup on the roof. You could get a H100i for $95 and replace the fans (noisy) but great cooling. What you want is high static pressure (ball bearing) fans.
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-cpu-cooler-h100i

Check out pics and comments about water cooling here:
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2012/03/07/nzxt-switch...

These are awesome fans:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
you can use them for the H100i (double check this) and for around the case.
m
0
l
October 20, 2013 5:42:10 AM

envy14tpe said:
RAM: You listed 1600 CAS 10 for $140. Get 1866 CAS 9 instead. It will perform faster. You can find it for about the same price:
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gskill-memory-f31866c9d16g...
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gskill-memory-f31600c9d16g...

PSU: Here's a PSU with same specs but $20 less and made by Seasonic (top tier manufacturer without a doubt)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Your choice of case makes me think you should do water cooling. That case can easily accommodate a setup on the roof. You could get a H100i for $95 and replace the fans (noisy) but great cooling. What you want is high static pressure (ball bearing) fans.
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-cpu-cooler-h100i

Check out pics and comments about water cooling here:
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2012/03/07/nzxt-switch...

These are awesome fans:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
you can use them for the H100i (double check this) and for around the case.


i think this 1 is the only 1866

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gskill-memory-f31866c9d16g...
will it fit in there with that huge fan?


should i replace the fans on here too?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
0
l
October 20, 2013 6:28:21 AM

The Sniper series will fit with any cooler you choose.

If you get a Noctua NH-D14 then you don't need to replace the fans. They already are great and quiet. Noctua makes very quiet fans. With that said, if you do get the Noctua, and don't get a water cooled system, then I'd consider looking for other cases. Quietness is also important. Something to consider:
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/fractal-design-case-fdcade...
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-case-500rwt
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/antec-case-p280

RAM. I was trying to link either one of these, not sure:
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gskill-memory-f31866c9d16g...
http://us.ncix.com/products/?usaffiliateid=1000031504&s...

Definitely get 1866 RAM. There is a worth while performance boost in getting 1866 for Haswell.

EDIT> Why isn't anyone else commenting? I like other voices on posts to confirm or to challenge advice.
m
0
l
October 20, 2013 12:44:12 PM

envy14tpe said:
The Sniper series will fit with any cooler you choose.

If you get a Noctua NH-D14 then you don't need to replace the fans. They already are great and quiet. Noctua makes very quiet fans. With that said, if you do get the Noctua, and don't get a water cooled system, then I'd consider looking for other cases. Quietness is also important. Something to consider:
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/fractal-design-case-fdcade...
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-case-500rwt
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/antec-case-p280

RAM. I was trying to link either one of these, not sure:
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gskill-memory-f31866c9d16g...
http://us.ncix.com/products/?usaffiliateid=1000031504&s...

Definitely get 1866 RAM. There is a worth while performance boost in getting 1866 for Haswell.

EDIT> Why isn't anyone else commenting? I like other voices on posts to confirm or to challenge advice.


I updated everything again. Based on your suggestions.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($319.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($77.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($189.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($174.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ Microcenter)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ Microcenter)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 4GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($447.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 4GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($447.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Corsair 750D ATX Full Tower Case ($149.99 @ Microcenter)
Power Supply: SeaSonic M12II 850W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Acer H236HLbid 60Hz 23.0" Monitor ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Acer H236HLbid 60Hz 23.0" Monitor ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Acer H236HLbid 60Hz 23.0" Monitor ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $2675.84
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-10-20 15:43 EDT-0400)

Thoughts?
m
0
l
October 20, 2013 9:05:06 PM

The updated build looks awesome. I'm totally envious of this. It'll smoke all games. And 3 monitors!

Some suggestions.
1) If you aren't using the 2nd HDD to copy the 1st HDD then why not just get one 2TB HDD? I say this cuz I bought 1 500GB HDD and needed more space and bought a second 500GB HDD. (stupid should have just bought a 1TB) Also, by having only 1 HDD you might be able to remove more HDD trays...which improves case airflow.

2) The 750D gets a lot of complaints about airflow on newegg. I don't use newegg as a review site but if people have one main complaint about some feature I take it seriously. You like the NZXT design before, how about a NZXT Full Tower Phantom 630? It is quiet and has great airflow. Plus HDD cages are removable increading airflow.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6681/nzxt-phantom-630-cas...

3) Usually I'd suggest 2x8gb but it seems there is no worries about clearance with 4x4gb RipJawz with the cooler.
http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=compatibility_ram_ge...
m
0
l
October 20, 2013 11:30:22 PM

envy14tpe said:
The updated build looks awesome. I'm totally envious of this. It'll smoke all games. And 3 monitors!

Some suggestions.
1) If you aren't using the 2nd HDD to copy the 1st HDD then why not just get one 2TB HDD? I say this cuz I bought 1 500GB HDD and needed more space and bought a second 500GB HDD. (stupid should have just bought a 1TB) Also, by having only 1 HDD you might be able to remove more HDD trays...which improves case airflow.

2) The 750D gets a lot of complaints about airflow on newegg. I don't use newegg as a review site but if people have one main complaint about some feature I take it seriously. You like the NZXT design before, how about a NZXT Full Tower Phantom 630? It is quiet and has great airflow. Plus HDD cages are removable increading airflow.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6681/nzxt-phantom-630-cas...

3) Usually I'd suggest 2x8gb but it seems there is no worries about clearance with 4x4gb RipJawz with the cooler.
http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=compatibility_ram_ge...


Sweet! How about this? (minus the case)

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($319.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($77.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($189.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($174.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($84.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 4GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($447.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 4GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($447.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Corsair 750D ATX Full Tower Case ($149.99 @ Microcenter)
Power Supply: SeaSonic M12II 850W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Acer H236HLbid 60Hz 23.0" Monitor ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Acer H236HLbid 60Hz 23.0" Monitor ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Acer H236HLbid 60Hz 23.0" Monitor ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $2620.85
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-10-21 02:42 EDT-0400)

Do you recommend any better ram?
m
0
l
October 21, 2013 12:32:35 AM

The 4x4GB RAM was fine. And it was 1866. Definitely keep 1866. IU commented about the RAM saying that the RAM will fit on your mobo with that cooler.

I like the 2TB better. nice choice. If you need to backup you could always get a 500GB one to backup important stuff. I store my trip/family photos on my HDD and a backup HDD. So, if anything ever happens to one of them the other is fine. Of all things, photos seem to be the most important.
m
0
l
October 21, 2013 1:07:12 AM

envy14tpe said:
The 4x4GB RAM was fine. And it was 1866. Definitely keep 1866. IU commented about the RAM saying that the RAM will fit on your mobo with that cooler.

I like the 2TB better. nice choice. If you need to backup you could always get a 500GB one to backup important stuff. I store my trip/family photos on my HDD and a backup HDD. So, if anything ever happens to one of them the other is fine. Of all things, photos seem to be the most important.


Ok Awesome!

I will post back tomorrow if I change anything
m
0
l
October 21, 2013 8:09:12 PM

envy14tpe said:
The 4x4GB RAM was fine. And it was 1866. Definitely keep 1866. IU commented about the RAM saying that the RAM will fit on your mobo with that cooler.

I like the 2TB better. nice choice. If you need to backup you could always get a 500GB one to backup important stuff. I store my trip/family photos on my HDD and a backup HDD. So, if anything ever happens to one of them the other is fine. Of all things, photos seem to be the most important.


Completed?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($319.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($77.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($189.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($174.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($84.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 4GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($447.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 4GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($447.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Corsair 750D ATX Full Tower Case ($149.99 @ Microcenter)
Power Supply: SeaSonic M12II 850W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Acer H236HLbid 60Hz 23.0" Monitor ($149.99 @ Amazon)
Monitor: Acer H236HLbid 60Hz 23.0" Monitor ($149.99 @ Amazon)
Monitor: Acer H236HLbid 60Hz 23.0" Monitor ($149.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $2640.85
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-10-21 23:08 EDT-0400)
m
0
l

Best solution

October 21, 2013 10:10:05 PM

Looks excellent. Try starting a new post about case choice. You might get some suggestions or confirmations.

The build is super solid though.
Share
!