Solved

help needed choosing new graphics card

hi i have a i5-2400 8gb of ram a palit gts 450 a 1080p screen, motherboard asus h61-m lx3(pci-e 2.0) and a 500w generic power supply what video card do u recommend for me p.s. i want to play all the upcoming games(ac4,bt4 and etc.) at atleast high graphics
9 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about needed choosing graphics card
  1. giorgi1997 said:
    hi i have a i5-2400 8gb of ram a palit gts 450 a 1080p screen and a 500w generic power supply what video card do u recommend for me p.s. i want to play all the upcoming games(ac4,bt4 and etc.) at atleast high graphics


    Your budget?I recommend going with the GTX 760.There has been no GPU yet released that delivers the price performance ratio of the GTX 760
  2. subhadeep082012-1331288 said:
    giorgi1997 said:
    hi i have a i5-2400 8gb of ram a palit gts 450 a 1080p screen and a 500w generic power supply what video card do u recommend for me p.s. i want to play all the upcoming games(ac4,bt4 and etc.) at atleast high graphics


    Your budget?I recommend going with the GTX 760.There has been no GPU yet released that delivers the price performance ratio of the GTX 760


    about 180$
  3. subhadeep082012-1331288 said:
    giorgi1997 said:
    hi i have a i5-2400 8gb of ram a palit gts 450 a 1080p screen and a 500w generic power supply what video card do u recommend for me p.s. i want to play all the upcoming games(ac4,bt4 and etc.) at atleast high graphics


    Your budget?I recommend going with the GTX 760.There has been no GPU yet released that delivers the price performance ratio of the GTX 760


    are u sure my psu can handle the gtx760?
  4. look around you might be able to find a 7950 at a good deal because they are being phased out or look into a 7870 they are pretty good cards for that range. but if you have the cash to spare get the 760. personal preference really
  5. Replace the PSU first, then get a new card later, 'generic' PSUs are notoriously poor quality and more than a few will kill a system if they fail under load.
    Expect to pay less than $65 US and look for 500 Watts and upwards with at least 2 6 pin PCI-E connectors: Corsair, Antec, Silverstone, Seasonic, OCZ, FSP and XFX are some of the better makers.
  6. coozie7 said:
    Replace the PSU first, then get a new card later, 'generic' PSUs are notoriously poor quality and more than a few will kill a system if they fail under load.
    Expect to pay less than $65 US and look for 500 Watts and upwards with at least 2 6 pin PCI-E connectors: Corsair, Antec, Silverstone, Seasonic, OCZ, FSP and XFX are some of the better makers.


    yes but this system will only take about 350~400w of energy and its been with me for a year and had no problem with a more demanding gpu and i had it under serious load.it didn't even broke after multiple times of power going off
    p.s.i don't live in usa i live in georgia(caucasus) and pretty much everything computer related is quite more expensive than in america
  7. Understand your point on the PSU, but try to see mine: I'm trying to give you the best advice I can, I'm not just trying to spend your money without good reason. Cheap power supplies are a potential problem, if they fail they can wreck the system which is why I am still going to advise you to change the PSU first then upgrade the graphics card.

    Parts availability varies from country to country and I have no links to Georgian retailers so all I can now do is offer more general advice.
    Have a look here, it will give you a good idea as to how each of the chips compares to the others: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/gaming-graphics-card-review,review-32803-7.html
    Because some cards are factory overclocked they can be as much as one tier higher. A good example is the HD7950, some factory overclocked versions can match the stock clocked HD7970.
    If you choose to keep the PSU, first check to see how many PCI-E leads it has then get the most powerful card you afford or find which has the same PCI-E connectors.
  8. coozie7 said:
    Understand your point on the PSU, but try to see mine: I'm trying to give you the best advice I can, I'm not just trying to spend your money without good reason. Cheap power supplies are a potential problem, if they fail they can wreck the system which is why I am still going to advise you to change the PSU first then upgrade the graphics card.

    Parts availability varies from country to country and I have no links to Georgian retailers so all I can now do is offer more general advice.
    Have a look here, it will give you a good idea as to how each of the chips compares to the others: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/gaming-graphics-card-review,review-32803-7.html
    Because some cards are factory overclocked they can be as much as one tier higher. A good example is the HD7950, some factory overclocked versions can match the stock clocked HD7970.
    If you choose to keep the PSU, first check to see how many PCI-E leads it has then get the most powerful card you afford or find which has the same PCI-E connectors.


    thanks
    i looked over things and will a cooler master gx series 550w be enough for a gtx 660
  9. Best answer
    Looks OK, I can't see any problems with those parts.
    Now, get back to enjoying your (higher resolution, faster and better looking) games, mate!
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Graphics Cards Intel i5 Graphics