Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

How is my future rig for gaming? AMD fx 8350, AMD R9-280X, 8 Gb ram @ 1600 mhz and 550 watt psu.

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Graphics Cards
  • CPUs
  • AMD
Last response: in Video Games
Share
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
October 19, 2013 9:34:32 AM

I know that AMD r9-280X isn't out for sale yet. But this will be my rig as soon as it is out. I was about to buy a hd 7870 Ghz edition, but suddenly when i was browsing about it i read about the amd's next gen graphic cards and looking at the specs and all the info I decided to wait for it! I mean it's definitely worth the wait. I was able to afford a $320 card and the best option was hd 7870 as the 660ti was out of my budget. But hey! a R9-280x which is a rebrand of hd 7970 and which is better than it will be for Only $299/$309 I thought It's the best Bang for the buck I could ever get. I few weeks ago asked Tomshardware that which would be better for gaming, amd fx 8350 of i5 4670k. 80% of people repelied that 4670K is no match for the 8350. But Looking at the benchmarks fx-8350 is even 0.2% better than a 3770k(when used all cores) and a plus piont, it is an overclocking beast which no one can match(not sure if 9370 and 9590 can overclock upto 1Ghz more). As upcoming games will be optimised for 8 cores I decided to ignore those 80% people and went for fx-8350. Result - Games like Watch dogs and Crysis 3 can't be maxed out with 4670k(or ultra settings in some cases). I could Still go for the 4670k if that will be better than fx-8350 for atleast 2 upcoming years.
So could you tell me what Settings should I keep for the following games on 1920x1080p res to play it smoothly, and also what FPS will I get..???
Crysis 3
Far Cry3, BF3, BF4, Watch Dogs, Skyrim, Sleeping Dogs, Remember me, Hitman absolution, Cod Ghost, Ac4, Batman Arkham Origins, etc....

More about : future rig gaming amd 8350 amd 280x ram 1600 mhz 550 watt psu

a b ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
October 19, 2013 9:41:16 AM

With a 4670K and a 280X I can´t see why you sholdn´t be ablew to play Ultra/Ultra High on almost everything except games with UberSampling...

On Ultra in almost all upcoming games I thinl you will see aroung 120-150FPS
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
October 19, 2013 9:51:49 AM

I'd go for the 4670k bro. But with either CPU, you can get FPS at around 45 to 55 with that setup. Depends on Which game of course. Like BF3 on SP would give you above around 60fps. Then BF4, it would be around 40fps I believe.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
October 20, 2013 1:18:02 AM

hafijur said:
The i5 4670k is about 3% faster on multithreaded tasks then the fx8350 and the i5 4670k has more overclock headroom generally. You have to rememember an fx8350 at lets say 4.8ghz could consume about 350w just for the cpu alone with computer on. An i5 4670k at lets say 4.4ghz is as fast as an fx8350 at 4.8ghz at multithreaded stuff as haswell is 2.1x ipc. BF4 is a game that runs better on the i5 4670k then the fx8350 due to the faster i5 4670k having more power. Theres no chance a 280x with an fx8350 oc is running on a 550w psu without most likely blowing up. However theres a decent chance with an i5 4670k and r9-280x.

The i5 4670k will trounce the fx8350 at any cpu bound game, even in multithreaded games the i5 beats it as it is faster.


I do not actually plan to overclock my cpu due to the reason u mentioned above. The only reason I am worried is watch dogs needs an i7 3770k or fx 8350 to play on high-Ultra settings, but not sure if 4670k can work there as good as a 3770k. Need your advice....
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
October 20, 2013 1:22:22 AM

adimeister said:
I'd go for the 4670k bro. But with either CPU, you can get FPS at around 45 to 55 with that setup. Depends on Which game of course. Like BF3 on SP would give you above around 60fps. Then BF4, it would be around 40fps I believe.


there's a bit of price gap between 8350 and 4670k. So if I go for the 8350 i can afford a better psu and a better hdd. So is it really worth it???
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
October 20, 2013 6:49:35 AM

hafijur said:
The i5 4670k is about 3% faster on multithreaded tasks then the fx8350 and the i5 4670k has more overclock headroom generally. You have to rememember an fx8350 at lets say 4.8ghz could consume about 350w just for the cpu alone with computer on. An i5 4670k at lets say 4.4ghz is as fast as an fx8350 at 4.8ghz at multithreaded stuff as haswell is 2.1x ipc. BF4 is a game that runs better on the i5 4670k then the fx8350 due to the faster i5 4670k having more power. Theres no chance a 280x with an fx8350 oc is running on a 550w psu without most likely blowing up. However theres a decent chance with an i5 4670k and r9-280x.

The i5 4670k will trounce the fx8350 at any cpu bound game, even in multithreaded games the i5 beats it as it is faster.

You're killing me Hafijur. 350watts at 4.8 ghz? Try more like 200 watts if all 8 cores are being used which they won't be.
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
October 20, 2013 8:12:24 AM

Have you even read what you posted? It clearly states that its the power pulled from the wall, not the CPU alone. Otherwise your holy 3570k would pull 260w.... And at the end of the page: AMD benches used atx mono, Intel matx, can add up to 20 w additional. Pls make us all happy and just leave this forum.
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
October 20, 2013 9:08:34 AM

hafijur said:
swilczak said:

You're killing me Hafijur. 350watts at 4.8 ghz? Try more like 200 watts if all 8 cores are being used which they won't be.

Okay 364w:
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2012/11/06/amd-fx-8350...


Yeah that is total power drawn from the entire computer at idle. Maybe you should read before you post something.
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
October 20, 2013 10:10:20 AM

OMG READ THE FULL REVIEW!

"However, for the power consumption tests we re-enable everything in order to get a real-world power draw. The power draw is measured via a power meter at the wall, so the numbers below are of total system power draw from the mains, not the power consumption of a CPU itself. Measuring the power draw of any individual component in a PC is tricky to impossible to acheive."

and why should a 550w for a fx8350 and a 280x be a nogo?! in the review you posted, the system uses 364w at cpu load. lets assume a 280x adds another 200w. =564w from the wall. efficiency of the psu=~80%
564w=100%, 80%= 452w. the psu can provide 550w, not only pull 550w from the wall, and thats with a high overclocked cpu, tdp of a 280x would be 190w (at gaming its quite much lower)
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
October 20, 2013 10:18:43 AM

You can read this guys post all over toms, seems like a paid guy. Sweet deal bro.
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
October 20, 2013 10:20:30 AM

adimeister said:
You can read this guys post all over toms, seems like a paid guy. Sweet deal bro.


I know, already had some argues with him, but i cant resist.
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
October 20, 2013 10:37:49 AM

I think you habe to read it again... Its pulling 550w FROM THE WALL. So it will only provide 80% of it to the parts! =440w. A 550w PSU can provide 550w to the parts and will pull ~680w from the wall...
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
October 20, 2013 10:44:01 AM

And anyway, I corrected you now 3 times cause you aren't able to read one page and get its meaning.
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
October 20, 2013 10:54:11 AM

You just don't get it. that's exactly what I calculated....
And for your laptop: if it takes 87w fully stressed (i guess you mean from the wall, measured by a powermeter) U PAY FOR 87w! That's its actual power draw! But it will only provide 90% of it to your laptop!
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
October 20, 2013 10:57:27 AM

And the parts aren't taking 550w from the PSU, that's what the PSU draws from the wall. The 364w are the draw from the system in the review (PSU from the wall!) Add 210w for the GPU (since it draws 190w from the PSU) and you get 550w from the wall. The PSU actually provides 440w, that's what the parts need
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
October 20, 2013 10:57:28 AM

And the parts aren't taking 550w from the PSU, that's what the PSU draws from the wall. The 364w are the draw from the system in the review (PSU from the wall!) Add 210w for the GPU (since it draws 190w from the PSU) and you get 550w from the wall. The PSU actually provides 440w, that's what the parts need
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
October 20, 2013 12:26:34 PM

OMG this guy. hahaha
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
October 21, 2013 3:42:53 AM

hafijur said:
I made a mistake from the wall it will take that much and how much you will pay for it. I got confused for some reason. So basically if you read it from wall 87w with 90% efficiency you will pay for like 79w.

I just realised that if you have a 600w psu with a power reader if a badefficient psu you will be able to read like 720w etc. Silly me :) 


Looking at your debates on psus. I have a question, is it worth spending more $19 and get a 600W psu, or a 550w would do the job just fine..? I dont plan to overclock any of my parts. After 6-4 months i will only add 8 gb 1600mhz more ram to my pc which makes it 16 gb.
And btw they both have 85% efficiency. And one more question which would be better Corsair VS650 650 Watt PSU or Cooler Master Thunder 600 Watts PSU...????
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
October 21, 2013 3:50:49 AM

550w is perfecly fine, wie calculated with heavy overclocks
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
October 21, 2013 3:57:45 AM

guggi4 said:
And the parts aren't taking 550w from the PSU, that's what the PSU draws from the wall. The 364w are the draw from the system in the review (PSU from the wall!) Add 210w for the GPU (since it draws 190w from the PSU) and you get 550w from the wall. The PSU actually provides 440w, that's what the parts need


As you are a cpu expert I ask you striaght, I did some web search where I found that fx-8350 can give better performance than 3770k in games like Crysis 3. Also Benchmarks tell that it is 0.2% faster than 3770k. If thats true why wouldn't it will give me better performance than 3770k and 4670k in Watch Dogs (as the both games are optimised for all 8 cores). And also I read A LOT on many posts that right now going with fx-8350 is future proofing your rig.
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
October 21, 2013 4:09:02 AM

hafijur said:
Having seen this people rate this psu good. U believe the corsair one is better looking at user reviews.
http://www.flipkart.com/corsair-vs650-650-watt-psu/p/it...
Also coolermaster is known on there lower end parts to be of poor quality:
http://www.flipkart.com/cooler-master-thunder-600-watts...


LOL I was gonna buy them from flipkart too. You just gave me the two links which I have already opened in my browser. So I wan't you opinion too is the 550w Psu fine or should I buy the 650w?
m
0
l

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
October 21, 2013 4:25:13 AM

As for the CPUs: its hard to tell the future, but with games using 8 cores you can expect performance between a i5 and a i7, sometimes it will be faster, sometimes slower like its general with hardware.
For the PSU: if don't really plan to over clock, the 550w is perfectly fine. If you plan on overclocking, get a quality 650w unit.
Share
November 1, 2013 6:19:14 AM

I'd go for the 4670k, the fx 8350 does not have hyperthreading which is great for gaming!
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
November 1, 2013 7:14:11 AM

avinashbhujan said:
I'd go for the 4670k, the fx 8350 does not have hyperthreading which is great for gaming!


Are u serious?
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
November 1, 2013 9:02:08 AM

First of all gtfo with cpuboss.
2nd, the 4670k does NOT have hyperthreading
3rd, most current games DON'T take advantage of hyperthreading.
4th, the fx8350 already got 8 threads like a hyperthreaded i7, in opposite to a 4thread i5, so there is no need for hyperthreading. If you a very correct, AMD uses cmt.
Get your facts before posting bulls*it.
m
0
l
November 2, 2013 2:51:44 AM

guggi4 said:
First of all gtfo with cpuboss.
2nd, the 4670k does NOT have hyperthreading
3rd, most current games DON'T take advantage of hyperthreading.
4th, the fx8350 already got 8 threads like a hyperthreaded i7, in opposite to a 4thread i5, so there is no need for hyperthreading. If you a very correct, AMD uses cmt.
Get your facts before posting bulls*it.


Sorry about z hyperthreading but i still think 4670k is better for gaming, intel is way ahead of amd! Instruction set of intel rocks and that of amd is not! Amd is only good at overclocking and gpus. Single-Core Performance of 4670k is awesome, it has built in gpu, more l3 cache and is newer. Amd power consumption makes me like intel even more!

Moreover you need to learn how to talk to people!

Intel core i7 4770k 3.5Ghz| MSI H87-G43 | Patriot Viper 32GB 1600 Mhz | AMD
Radeon HD 7950 Sapphire Boost Edition |Aerocool PSU VP PRO 700W | Seagate
Barracuda 1TB 7200rpm |Viewsonic vx2270smh-LED
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
November 2, 2013 4:00:19 AM

I don't think we need another 8350 vs i5 thread again...
He was asking mainly for bf4 where the AMD is at least on par. Also, the instruction sets aren't used in any games, only some synthetic benchmarks, not even real applications. And if you don't really care for power consumption, the fx is a nice, good performing and cheaper option, especially in bf4
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
November 5, 2013 8:29:39 AM

guggi4 said:
I don't think we need another 8350 vs i5 thread again...
He was asking mainly for bf4 where the AMD is at least on par. Also, the instruction sets aren't used in any games, only some synthetic benchmarks, not even real applications. And if you don't really care for power consumption, the fx is a nice, good performing and cheaper option, especially in bf4


Hey man! hi again. I have adjusted my rig a lil bit.
fx 8350.
650Watt psu,
Gigabyte r9 280x, ( Which gives performance some what better than Gtx 770 and asus r9 280x and quite less than toxic).
Corsair Vengence 16 gb 1600mhz ram,
WD Caviar 2 tb SATA 7200rpm,
ASUS 990fx MOBO.

Also I thik that Cpuboss is out of their mind. Because above in my topic description I had mention that 8350 is 0.2% better than 3770k (when used all cores) and I saw that on cpuboss many times. Now they have posted a different result That 3770k is 0.4% better than 8350 (when used all cores). I am avoiding fx 9370 because it's power requirement. I wan't your opnion. BTW I am buying all this stuff from amazon, and for that I am opening a US bank account. I live in India and will I have to pay the taxes of shipping n all that? (fyi all that stuff has free shiping). Thank you very much. looks like you have a lot of knowledge about computers and one day I wan't to be like you! :D 


m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
November 5, 2013 9:05:37 AM

Hi, looks very nice, the 650w PSU isn't a must, a decent quality one with 550w+ will do fine. Also, 16gb aren't neccesary yet for gaming, but its a nice to have.
As for cpu-boss, its not a reliable site, but you will have enough power for bf4 with both CPUs. And the 8350 is a lot cheaper. As for the shipping I'm afraid I can't help you at all since I live in Europe I don't really know anything about shipping in us and India.
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
November 5, 2013 9:22:09 AM

St0rm_KILL3r said:
guggi4 said:
I don't think we need another 8350 vs i5 thread again...
He was asking mainly for bf4 where the AMD is at least on par. Also, the instruction sets aren't used in any games, only some synthetic benchmarks, not even real applications. And if you don't really care for power consumption, the fx is a nice, good performing and cheaper option, especially in bf4


Hey man! hi again. I have adjusted my rig a lil bit.
fx 8350.
650Watt psu,
Gigabyte r9 280x, ( Which gives performance some what better than Gtx 770 and asus r9 280x and quite less than toxic).
Corsair Vengence 16 gb 1600mhz ram,
WD Caviar 2 tb SATA 7200rpm,
ASUS 990fx MOBO.

Also I thik that Cpuboss is out of their mind. Because above in my topic description I had mention that 8350 is 0.2% better than 3770k (when used all cores) and I saw that on cpuboss many times. Now they have posted a different result That 3770k is 0.4% better than 8350 (when used all cores). I am avoiding fx 9370 because it's power requirement. I wan't your opnion. BTW I am buying all this stuff from amazon, and for that I am opening a US bank account. I live in India and will I have to pay the taxes of shipping n all that? (fyi all that stuff has free shiping). Thank you very much. looks like you have a lot of knowledge about computers and one day I wan't to be like you! :D 



I live in the U.S. and I've ordered things from India with no tax. I think it might depend on what it is that you ordered. Certain items will have import tax to try and protect people who manufacture the same item in your home country. So if your country is big on making and selling computer parts there will probably be tax.
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
November 5, 2013 10:32:53 PM

swilczak said:
St0rm_KILL3r said:
guggi4 said:
I don't think we need another 8350 vs i5 thread again...
He was asking mainly for bf4 where the AMD is at least on par. Also, the instruction sets aren't used in any games, only some synthetic benchmarks, not even real applications. And if you don't really care for power consumption, the fx is a nice, good performing and cheaper option, especially in bf4


Hey man! hi again. I have adjusted my rig a lil bit.
fx 8350.
650Watt psu,
Gigabyte r9 280x, ( Which gives performance some what better than Gtx 770 and asus r9 280x and quite less than toxic).
Corsair Vengence 16 gb 1600mhz ram,
WD Caviar 2 tb SATA 7200rpm,
ASUS 990fx MOBO.

Also I thik that Cpuboss is out of their mind. Because above in my topic description I had mention that 8350 is 0.2% better than 3770k (when used all cores) and I saw that on cpuboss many times. Now they have posted a different result That 3770k is 0.4% better than 8350 (when used all cores). I am avoiding fx 9370 because it's power requirement. I wan't your opnion. BTW I am buying all this stuff from amazon, and for that I am opening a US bank account. I live in India and will I have to pay the taxes of shipping n all that? (fyi all that stuff has free shiping). Thank you very much. looks like you have a lot of knowledge about computers and one day I wan't to be like you! :D 



I live in the U.S. and I've ordered things from India with no tax. I think it might depend on what it is that you ordered. Certain items will have import tax to try and protect people who manufacture the same item in your home country. So if your country is big on making and selling computer parts there will probably be tax.


But all the items I am ordering have free shiping by amazon. So do I still have to pay the taxes..?? And yes India manufactures almost all these components I am buying ( not sure about r9 280x). I can get them much cheaper from amazon than ordering from flipkart.com

m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
November 6, 2013 4:31:37 AM

St0rm_KILL3r said:
swilczak said:
St0rm_KILL3r said:
guggi4 said:
I don't think we need another 8350 vs i5 thread again...
He was asking mainly for bf4 where the AMD is at least on par. Also, the instruction sets aren't used in any games, only some synthetic benchmarks, not even real applications. And if you don't really care for power consumption, the fx is a nice, good performing and cheaper option, especially in bf4


Hey man! hi again. I have adjusted my rig a lil bit.
fx 8350.
650Watt psu,
Gigabyte r9 280x, ( Which gives performance some what better than Gtx 770 and asus r9 280x and quite less than toxic).
Corsair Vengence 16 gb 1600mhz ram,
WD Caviar 2 tb SATA 7200rpm,
ASUS 990fx MOBO.

Also I thik that Cpuboss is out of their mind. Because above in my topic description I had mention that 8350 is 0.2% better than 3770k (when used all cores) and I saw that on cpuboss many times. Now they have posted a different result That 3770k is 0.4% better than 8350 (when used all cores). I am avoiding fx 9370 because it's power requirement. I wan't your opnion. BTW I am buying all this stuff from amazon, and for that I am opening a US bank account. I live in India and will I have to pay the taxes of shipping n all that? (fyi all that stuff has free shiping). Thank you very much. looks like you have a lot of knowledge about computers and one day I wan't to be like you! :D 



I live in the U.S. and I've ordered things from India with no tax. I think it might depend on what it is that you ordered. Certain items will have import tax to try and protect people who manufacture the same item in your home country. So if your country is big on making and selling computer parts there will probably be tax.


But all the items I am ordering have free shiping by amazon. So do I still have to pay the taxes..?? And yes India manufactures almost all these components I am buying ( not sure about r9 280x). I can get them much cheaper from amazon than ordering from flipkart.com


I can't tell you for sure so try to google it, but you probably will have to pay taxes.
m
0
l
November 12, 2013 8:47:17 AM

Don't listen to these retards, they just already have Intel Cpu's and are backing it up because they don't want to look like idiots who wasted there money. Fact is AMD's CPU's are being used in the latest consoles and since they are the forefront for game development the games will be consistent towards the amount of cores the console has to operate on.. there fucking fore the games that will be out next year will all be developed to utilize more than 4 fucking cores and will be ported to Pc. Its not rocket science just because your quoting stats and numbers. Its a question of not being blinded by a mistake in choosing Intel for the future of gaming
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
November 12, 2013 9:23:02 AM

conobie123 said:
Don't listen to these retards, they just already have Intel Cpu's and are backing it up because they don't want to look like idiots who wasted there money. Fact is AMD's CPU's are being used in the latest consoles and since they are the forefront for game development the games will be consistent towards the amount of cores the console has to operate on.. there fucking fore the games that will be out next year will all be developed to utilize more than 4 fucking cores and will be ported to Pc. Its not rocket science just because your quoting stats and numbers. Its a question of not being blinded by a mistake in choosing Intel for the future of gaming


True, and in games which utilize 8 cores like crysis 3, the fx 8350 is even better than the i7 3770k, so I wan't for fx 8350.
m
0
l
December 28, 2013 8:55:38 AM

Hey, I have the same idea with you! But I consider to build a 2 graphics cards-AMD Radoen R9 280x that come up with a AMD FX8350. The RAM I'll put 16GB. Hope these parts will be perfect for gaming. The graphics cards can handle 3-4 years' games in ultra settings, after 3-4 years, still can play future's games in mid-high, midium or low-mid settings. Hopefully can acheive the budget in 2-3 years.
m
0
l
January 21, 2014 12:20:32 AM

the more core the better for playing games but still intel has more singe core power than amds
m
0
l
April 26, 2014 8:52:15 PM

I5 4670k is 5000 rs costly than fx 8350 uf you want spend more money than go for i5 but amd fx 8350 at the price of 12500 is not less than an i5
m
0
l
!