Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Which graphics card do i get with no budget?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
October 19, 2013 4:06:20 PM

Hello. I am from India and the prices of graphics cards here are quite high [around 30-40% more than the price in US]

I'm a hardcore gamer and i want to buy a graphic card for my first rig.

I don't want to max out every single setting available, rather i want the game to look beautiful .
I was wondering which GPU to get which will last me around 1.5 years on beautiful settings [It can be med-high for crysis3, ultra for skyrim , MAXED out for DotA 2 etc.. ]

Basically i dont want to spend extra money just to crank up a few fps hungry settings [eg. TressFX , PhysX , MSAA , Shadow Resolution , SSAO etc]

I was thinking that the 650ti boost will be sufficient: http://www.flipkart.com/zotac-nvidia-geforce-gtx-650-ti...

But i am not sure. Please help.





More about : graphics card budget

a c 488 U Graphics card
October 19, 2013 4:14:38 PM

A 650 Ti Boost or a 7850 should be great for your needs

The 650 Ti Boost was designed to play games at high ish settings at 1080p smoothly so it should definitely last you 1.5 years at med-high settings for modern games, and should have no problem maxing skyrim and DotA 2, LoL etc.

EDIT: seems that the 7850 is a bit too expensive there
m
0
l
October 19, 2013 4:31:51 PM

rolandzhang3 said:
A 650 Ti Boost or a 7850 should be great for your needs

The 650 Ti Boost was designed to play games at high ish settings at 1080p smoothly so it should definitely last you 1.5 years at med-high settings for modern games, and should have no problem maxing skyrim and DotA 2, LoL etc.

EDIT: seems that the 7850 is a bit too expensive there


Yes. But i also intend on playing the following games:
Splinter Cell : Blacklist
Batman Full Arkham Series [Including Arkham Origins] Bought the previous 2 on steam 75% sale today
Max Payne 3
Crysis 3 [I got it for 7$ on sale]
Crysis 2 Max Edition
TombRaider [10$]
Borderlands 2 just bought the GOTY edition :) 
Watch Dogs <3
GTA V - PC
Far Cry 3
Darksiders II
Hitman Absolution

How will the 650ti boost compare to an R9-280X [Will the R9-280X last me on med-high settings for the next 4 years?]
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 488 U Graphics card
October 19, 2013 4:34:01 PM

The 280x wrecks the 650 Ti Boost as it is a 7970 essentially, it should last at high-ultra for a few years, and probably med-high for 4 years, though that's hard to estimate (disabling AA and other needless effects nets you much better results too :D )

The 7970 should comfortable play Crysis 3 (at combination of high-very high settings) and watchdogs no problem
m
0
l
October 19, 2013 4:42:28 PM

rolandzhang3 said:
The 280x wrecks the 650 Ti Boost as it is a 7970 essentially, it should last at high-ultra for a few years, and probably med-high for 4 years, though that's hard to estimate (disabling AA and other needless effects nets you much better results too :D )

The 7970 should comfortable play Crysis 3 (at combination of high-very high settings) and watchdogs no problem


I have read many places it's best to buy cheap and upgrade every few years [when new technology comes] rather than buying one expensive GPU?

So basically i can get the 650ti boost for 220$ and upgrade it after around 13-15 months [with 20nm cards] and then again upgrade in 15-20months

OR

Get the R9-280X for around 410$ and upgrade after around 35-40months?

Which is a better option ?
m
0
l

Best solution

a c 488 U Graphics card
October 19, 2013 4:43:05 PM

I wouldn't upgrade every year, maybe every two/three years or so or every two/three generations

The 280x is a pretty high end card, so you could probably get away with upgrading in 3 years, in the long run probably saving you some more money than the other option since the upgrade to the 650 Ti Boost after a year may be even weaker than the 280x.

Generally people go for the middle end and upgrade every two or three cycles (or get new machines)
Share
October 19, 2013 4:46:47 PM

rolandzhang3 said:
I wouldn't upgrade every year, maybe every two/three years or so or every two/three generations

The 280x is a pretty high end card, so you could probably get away with upgrading in 3 years, in the long run probably saving you some more money than the other option since the upgrade to the 650 Ti Boost after a year may be even weaker than the 280x.


Okay thanks. Also how does a 760 compare between the 650ti boost and the 280X?
m
0
l
October 19, 2013 4:50:34 PM

rolandzhang3 said:
The 760 is between the 660 ti and 670 in performance so it also is alot better than the boost, just a bit weaker than the 280x/7970
Here are benchmarks
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/854?vs=770


Shouldn't the 760 be compared with the 7970 GHz edition rather than the normal one because the 280X is a rebranding of 7970GE?
m
0
l
a c 488 U Graphics card
October 19, 2013 4:55:13 PM

Then the distance is even further, AFAIK the 280x is a 7970 clocked at 950MHz

You can compare all those cards on that site to your liking :) 
m
0
l
!