Will an AMD Athlon II x3 435 bottleneck an GTX 460?

Solution
Ponas writes:
> I don't already have, an gtx 460, I just want to know if GTX 460 will
> botleneck (single), ...

Well as I say it depends on the task/game. What I don't want you
to infer is the idea that a 460 would not be any quicker than your
existing card, because it absolutely would be.

Given the low cost of 460s now, and the age of 8000 series cards,
I don't see the point of buying anything less than a used 460, though
note it can sometimes be cheaper to get a 560 instead (the proverbial
balance of supply/demand).

In other words, get a cheap 460, it'll do you fine, and at least in
6 month's time when you upgrade you will have the option of
adding a 2nd 460 for good performance, unless you really want
to kick the performance up...

mapesdhs

Distinguished

To some extent, yes, but it depends on the games you're playing. And at what clock
speed are you running the 435?

I've been testing a X2 250 @ 4.11GHz and the effects are noticeable, but as I say
it depends on the game. For what it's worth, see:

http://www.sgidepot.co.uk/sgi.html#PC

Incomplete info from your point of view - I still have many more tests to do.

Ian.

Ponas

Honorable
Oct 20, 2013

Thanks for your response, I am playing games like BF3 (multiplayer), Prototype 2 and few other similair games. My Amd processor run's at 2.9ghz if it will be bottleneck, will it be noticible?

(sorry for my english, gramatic if I made mistakes(I am lithuanian)

mapesdhs

Distinguished
Ponas writes:
> Thanks for your response, I am playing games like BF3

Hmm, isn't BF3 a fairly newish game? And for multiplayer,
I'm sure it helps to have a strong CPU. Assuming you don't
want to switch platforms (a used 2500K and Z68/P67 mbd
combo is an excellent bargain IMO), you could upgrade to
a Phenom II X4 965, oc'd to a decent degree (4GHz+ should
be doable), though it still wouldn't be as good as a 2500K or
2600K/2700K.

Also, a 460 is pretty old now. If you don't want to move up to
a higher res, then adding a 2nd for SLI would help a lot (I've
done more 460 tests than most I suspect - I have more than
a dozen of them), and if you wanted a degree of future
proofing then there are 2GB 460s/560s appearing with
regularity on eBay now, though personally (unless noise is
an issue) I would recommend one or two used GTX 580s,
3GB versions if possible. That'd cover you for a while. 8)

If you do care about noise however, then just a 2nd 460 would
be useful, or - if you can get lucky as I did - two 560Tis are
even better (my gaming PC began as 8800GT SLI, I upgraded
to EVGA 460/850MHz SLI, then to 560Ti SLI, and most
recently to GTX 580 SLI).

>Prototype 2 and few other similair games. My Amd processor run's
> at 2.9ghz if it will be bottleneck, will it be noticible?

If you had the ability to compare to something better, yes. Note
that you should be able to oc your 435 to 4GHz or more though,
assuming even a decent basic cooler like a TRUE (Thermalright
U120 Extreme) which are pretty cheap 2nd-hand now.

Btw, suddenly occurs to me I actually have exactly the info
you need, ie.:

http://www.sgidepot.co.uk/misc/tests-jj.txt

That page shows how performance in various tests (both CPU
and GPU, and mixed) varies depending on CPU power, all done
using the same 850MHz EVGA GTX 460 FTW 1GB card.

> (sorry for my english, gramatic if I made mistakes(I am lithuanian)

Your English is fine. :D Better than the standard of most Brits IMO.

Ian.

Ponas

Honorable
Oct 20, 2013

I don't want invest much to my current computer ( I will build a new one in about 6 months), so I need a video card(cheap), that could run BF3 medium 1366x768 for 6 months and would not bottleneck with my AMD processor. Any suggestions?

mapesdhs

Distinguished
Ponas writes:
> I don't want invest much to my current computer ( I will build a new one in about
> 6 months), so I need a video card(cheap), ...

You're looking at this from the wrong direciton. If your CPU is already a bottleneck
(and it probably is) then adding a 2nd card or replacing the 460 with a newer card
will not result in much of a speedup, if any. You need to boost the CPU power before
thinking about a GPU upgrade. I already know from my own tests that an AMD of
that genre can bottleneck 8800GT SLI (my first newish PC had a 6000+), never mind
GTX 460 SLI (or a single GPU of equivalent speed).

Thus, my suggestion is 2-fold:

a) Overclock your CPU. Fit a better cooler if you only have a stock cooler at the moment.
A used TRUE is a good option (cheap off eBay). If you can't do this, then try and obtain
a used Ph2 965 BE and oc that to at least some degree. If neither of these steps is viable,
then improving the GPU performance is not worthwhile.

b) Assuming step (a) is complete, just add a 2nd GTX 460 to run SLI. This will give a
very nice speedup, and you won't be bottlenecked by the 1GB RAM (I'm assumign you
have a 1GB 460) since you're playing at low-res.

Used 460s are cheap now on eBay. Actually, I have some I could sell, but I assume
you'd want to obtain one locally. What exact model of 460 do you have? Can you
include a GPU-Z screenshot here?

Summay: in other words, if all you do is upgrade your GPU, don't be surprised if
you observe very little in the way of a performance increase. Improve the CPU
somehow first, either oc it or replace with a 965 and oc that. Once you have more
CPU power, then think about either adding a 2nd 460 (very effective & cheap) or
replacing with a newer card if your mbd does not support SLI.

Ian.

PS. Please don't quote my entire post each time. Trim your reply so that only a small
part of my post is shown, otherwise it kinda bloats the thread with unnecessary text. ;)

Ponas

Honorable
Oct 20, 2013
mapesdhs said:

a) Overclock your CPU. Fit a better cooler if you only have a stock cooler at the moment.
A used TRUE is a good option (cheap off eBay). If you can't do this, then try and obtain
a used Ph2 965 BE and oc that to at least some degree. If neither of these steps is viable,
then improving the GPU performance is not worthwhile.

b) Assuming step (a) is complete, just add a 2nd GTX 460 to run SLI. This will give a
very nice speedup, and you won't be bottlenecked by the 1GB RAM (I'm assumign you
have a 1GB 460) since you're playing at low-res.

Used 460s are cheap now on eBay. Actually, I have some I could sell, but I assume
you'd want to obtain one locally. What exact model of 460 do you have? Can you
include a GPU-Z screenshot here?

---->

I don't already have, an gtx 460, I just want to know if GTX 460 will botleneck (single), if yes I will buy a slower video card. (I have an gt 8600, and I want to upgrade it for 6months), so if the gtx 460 will botlenneck will the gtx 650 do the job, on my res?

mapesdhs

Distinguished
Ponas writes:
> I don't already have, an gtx 460, I just want to know if GTX 460 will
> botleneck (single), ...

Well as I say it depends on the task/game. What I don't want you
to infer is the idea that a 460 would not be any quicker than your
existing card, because it absolutely would be.

Given the low cost of 460s now, and the age of 8000 series cards,
I don't see the point of buying anything less than a used 460, though
note it can sometimes be cheaper to get a 560 instead (the proverbial
balance of supply/demand).

In other words, get a cheap 460, it'll do you fine, and at least in
6 month's time when you upgrade you will have the option of
adding a 2nd 460 for good performance, unless you really want
to kick the performance up the scale.

And btw, a 460 will make a lot less noise than an old 8K card.

Ian.

Solution