Solved

6 month old laptop gone extremely slow

I have a Toshiba satellite pro C850-1HD intel core i5 3230M 2.6GHz 8GB ram 64 bit with windows 7 bought only in June 2013. It has suddenly started running extremely slowly, taking 20 minutes to start up, and all programs take a long time to open, including outlook. I have antivirus software eset nod32, have tried defragmenting my disc, windows defender, have tried startup repair, run ccleaner, run malwarebytes. I tried system restore but it failed - unknown error.
I would appreciate any advice, as I work from this computer and do not know what to try next.
10 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about month laptop extremely slow
  1. run event viewer, select custom views, select administrative events
    and look at the errors and warnings. Look for a lot of errors being reported several times a second.
    most likely a hard drive starting to fail, and retrying over and over before being able to read a block of data, then going too the next block and having to attempt to read is several times before it can be read.
    (this assumes your not using a SSD and filled it up)
  2. + 1 to the above and in addition, I suggest swapping out first one RAM stick and then the other to see if either is flawed. It's quicker than running MemTest.

    They should be under a hatch (two screws at the most) on the underside of the laptop and have spring clips on either side which release the stick when parted.
  3. johnbl said:
    run event viewer, select custom views, select administrative events
    and look at the errors and warnings. Look for a lot of errors being reported several times a second.
    most likely a hard drive starting to fail, and retrying over and over before being able to read a block of data, then going too the next block and having to attempt to read is several times before it can be read.
    (this assumes your not using a SSD and filled it up)


    On event viewer, there are about 3500 events since manufacture in Jan 2013. Is this a lot? Mainly service control manager with errors. How can I attach the screen shot to this forum?

    The other thing I just tried was auslogics registry cleaner. On scanning, this found 2440 problems with installed software, as well as 100 other problems. I have not yet done a repair until getting more advice This was one of the problems:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{11D3EF85-63E1-4AE4-A7C1-9241BDB16B51}\InstallSource, 100, Folder does not exist.
    Is this a false positive as I don't want to delete something that is vital to the working of the computer.
    Advice gratefully received.
  4. That's a small total for a ten month period but you need only look for the red warning markers and just for a period of a week.

    Auslogics is unlikely to make a mistake over a missing folder - it's just an old Registry entry for something that is no longer there so it's safe to let it clear them out.

    The scale of slowness you're dealing with is unlikely to be fixed by removing a few Registry entries. Malware could be to blame so make sure your scanners are up to date and have run full scans.
  5. That's a small total for a ten month period but you need only look for the red warning markers and just for a period of a week.

    Auslogics is unlikely to make a mistake over a missing folder - it's just an old Registry entry for something that is no longer there so it's safe to let it clear them out.

    The scale of slowness you're dealing with is unlikely to be fixed by removing a few Registry entries. Malware could be to blame so make sure your scanners are up to date and have run full scans.


    I ran the free version of malwarebytes but it found nothing. Is there something else you would recommend?
  6. Nope - MBAM tops the list for me.
  7. best to clear all 4 of your event logs and reboot
    and look at only the new log entries.

    also, boot up in safe mode, if that boots fast then your memory and drive are ok. and you have a software issue
  8. johnbl said:
    best to clear all 4 of your event logs and reboot
    and look at only the new log entries.

    also, boot up in safe mode, if that boots fast then your memory and drive are ok. and you have a software issue


    sorry, how can I clear the event logs?
    Also I will do the repair for auslogics.
  9. Best answer
    FaithHope said:
    johnbl said:
    best to clear all 4 of your event logs and reboot
    and look at only the new log entries.

    also, boot up in safe mode, if that boots fast then your memory and drive are ok. and you have a software issue


    sorry, how can I clear the event logs?
    Also I will do the repair for auslogics.


    start event viewer
    slelect the windows logs
    right mouse click on one of the logs
    (application,security, setup, system)
    bring up the properties dialog and select the clear option.

    for the most part you are looking for a lot of errors or warnings coming from your disk drive.
  10. johnbl said:
    FaithHope said:
    johnbl said:
    best to clear all 4 of your event logs and reboot
    and look at only the new log entries.

    also, boot up in safe mode, if that boots fast then your memory and drive are ok. and you have a software issue


    sorry, how can I clear the event logs?
    Also I will do the repair for auslogics.


    start event viewer
    slelect the windows logs
    right mouse click on one of the logs
    (application,security, setup, system)
    bring up the properties dialog and select the clear option.


    for the most part you are looking for a lot of errors or warnings coming from your disk drive.


    Thanks for all the advice, the laptop seems a lot better now.
Ask a new question

Read More

Core Intel Intel i5 Toshiba Laptops Windows 7