Solved

My system PSU Requirements.

If my estimated system wattage requirements are 686W would a 750W power supply suffice?

the PSU im looking at is Arianet X-Viper 750W (Bronze) so if it needed the full 750W (100%) it would pull approx 926W from the mains , lose 19% (175W) as heat providing 750W to the PC?

alternatively Zalman ZM 750W XG GoldRock '80 Plus Gold' Modular Power Supply runs at 88% efficiency @ 100% therefore pulling 853W from the mains, lose 12% as heat (103W)

or Seasonic 750W M12II Bronze Series Modular Power Supply (Ample +12V Outputs, Smart and Silent Fan Control, Multi-GPU Technologies Supported)

The Zalman (£93.55) is £36 more expensive than the Arianet (£57.60) the Seasonic (£99.46)

providing my PC is adequatley powered i cant see any reason to buy the zalman or the seasonic. i mean if the PSU works it works right ??
10 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about system psu requirements
  1. Cheap, no name power supplies most often can't put out their rated wattage and the power they do supply is 'dirty' with high ripple and noise. The Arianet X-Viper is one of those cheap, no name brands. The Zalman is made by Enhance Electronics and although no real reviews exist for it the unit is probably solid. Seasonic is an actual manufacturer and they make the best units on the market. The M12 II is an older unit but still a very good choice.

    What are you powering that needs 750 watts?
  2. anort3 said:
    Cheap, no name power supplies most often can't put out their rated wattage and the power they do supply is 'dirty' with high ripple and noise. The Arianet X-Viper is one of those cheap, no name brands. The Zalman is made by Enhance Electronics and although no real reviews exist for it the unit is probably solid. Seasonic is an actual manufacturer and they make the best units on the market. The M12 II is an older unit but still a very good choice.

    What are you powering that needs 750 watts?


    thanks for the detailed info.

    CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£167.99 @ Aria PC)
    Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£109.99 @ Novatech)
    Memory: Mushkin Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£38.20 @ Amazon UK)
    Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£73.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£62.90 @ Aria PC)
    Case: Zalman Z9 Plus ATX Mid Tower Case (£43.90 @ Novatech)
    Other: LG 23EA63V 23" IPS LED 19201080 VGA DVI HDMI Black Monitor - 23EA63V (£124.95)
    Other: 2 x SAPPHIRE TOXIC R9 280X 3GB GDDR5 Dual DVI HDMI DisplayPort PCI-E Graphics Card (£538.54)
    Other: Seasonic 750W M12II Bronze Series Modular Power Supply (Ample +12V Outputs, Smart and Silent Fan Control, Multi-GPU Technologies Supported) (£99.46)

    Plus iHas DVD RW

    think that should be about it .... so either a gold zalman or bronze seasonic... ?

    think 750W will be fine?

    i'm also looking at Corsair CX750 (bronze semi modular) @ £68 delivered or OCZ 750W Fatal1ty Series Semi-Modular PSU
    OCZ 750W Fatal1ty Series Semi-Modular PSU (£79)

    any thoughts on those two also?
  3. A pair of 280X cards in Crossfire require a recommended 900 watts.

    http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

    The 280X is just a rebranded 7970 but with a higher potential voltage. Realhardtechx maintains the most comprehensive power supply database on the internet and they can be trusted. Using a quality unit an 850w model would be fine.

    This is the best deal I see. All XFX units are made by Seasonic and this unit is a rebranded Seasonic X series. The X series is much newer than the M 12 II and is 80 Plus Gold certified and fully modular. It's also one of the best units on the market.

    http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Components/Power+Supplies/Modular+700-950W/850W+XFX+Pro+Black+Edition+80PLUS+Gold+Modular+Power+Supply+%5BP1-850B-BEFX%5D+?productId=54051
  4. anort3 said:
    A pair of 280X cards in Crossfire require a recommended 900 watts.

    http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

    The 280X is just a rebranded 7970 but with a higher potential voltage. Realhardtechx maintains the most comprehensive power supply database on the internet and they can be trusted. Using a quality unit an 850w model would be fine.

    This is the best deal I see. All XFX units are made by Seasonic and this unit is a rebranded Seasonic X series. The X series is much newer than the M 12 II and is 80 Plus Gold certified and fully modular. It's also one of the best units on the market.

    http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Components/Power+Supplies/Modular+700-950W/850W+XFX+Pro+Black+Edition+80PLUS+Gold+Modular+Power+Supply+%5BP1-850B-BEFX%5D+?productId=54051



    Thankyou again anort3 for the really helpful and insightful info.

    would this suffice? XFX 850W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply - £88
  5. Best answer
    Yes. That XFX is basically the same platform as the M12 II only not modular.
  6. Brilliant, i'll order that one then. thanks for your help mate - much appreciated!!
  7. Sure thing. Glad to help! :)
  8. anort3 said:
    Yes. That XFX is basically the same platform as the M12 II only not modular.


    one last question which is better?

    Corsair TX 850W V3 PSU - 80plus Bronze Certified £89
    OR
    850W XFX Pro XXX Edition 80PLUS £87
  9. I would probably go with the XFX just because it's made by Seasonic. The Corsair is made by Chicony Power Technology. The Corsair TX850 V2 was made by Seasonic but Corsair goes through OEMs like crazy. In fact the whole TX line has been discontinued but there will still be back stock for quite a while.
  10. i'll buy teh XFX as you say its made by Seasonic and i don't know who the V3 Corsair is made by. and the XFX is semi modular , the Corsair is non modular.

    Cheers agian buddy.
Ask a new question

Read More

Zalman Power Supplies Viper Components Heat