2 780 gtx. 1 Palit Jetsteam - 1 Evga Classified. 3dMark 1100 Graphics score difference....Why ?

peltac

Honorable
Oct 8, 2013
So me and a friend both bought new computers. Overall the specs are very similar except for 2 things. First of all he got an I7 and i got an i5. Second off we both got 780's but he got the Evga classified and i got the Palit jet stream. On comparison between these cards there seems to be little difference and yet when we both run 3dmark 11 i get roughly 1000 less score on graphics. This seems to be to big of a different between very similar cards.

In an effort to find the problem i decided to overclock my card. I got it up to 150mhz+ core speed and it was stable so i ran the benchmarks again. My second scores obviously improved to 8863 which is an improvement but still not reaching the 9200 score that my friends card is getting (without overclock).

We are both running the same graphics drivers and have more or less the same computer. I am fairly confident that my CPU i5-4670 is not creating a bottleneck.

I cant think of any reason why these two cards would be so different even after what i think is a pretty big overclock.

For your reference.
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-227-EA
http://www.palit.biz/palit/vgapro.php?id=2180

Also i should mention that while the Palit jetstream specs say the boost clock is 954 when i use software like Kombuster etc it shows up at 1045mhz which is more or less identical to the classified (1046). I no that these aren't the only specs on the cards but the others also seem to be more or less identical.

I have searched through forums for hours trying to figure this out...Is it possibly ive got a dodgy card ?

This is why when ya never take the advice when peeps say ya can get a reference card and overclock it yaself to get factory overclocked performance. All factory OCd cards are not created equal....Some have complete stock PCBs and VRMs (i.e. EVGA SC series).....Others like the Classified, IIRC have as many as a 14 phase VRM whereas the Palit, again going from memory, has 8. Even with nVidia's new voltage limiting rules, the better VRMs still manage somehow to get better overclocks.

Also what are the other differences between the systems ? Same MoBo .... even the voltage stability of ya PSU can have an effect on overclocking.

peltac

Honorable
Oct 8, 2013
Different motherboards but from the same series. I have the maximum hero and he has the maximum formula. He also has 2400 ram and i have 1600. But still a 1000 different on the GPU benchmarks should not be affected by other factors like this IMO. I could understand the overall score being affected.

peltac

Honorable
Oct 8, 2013
Figured it out after a few days of googling. I opened up my case to make sure it was the right card as previously i had just been going by the look of it. Confirmed it was the jetstream and then googled the specs again and i found my mistake.

Palit released 2 780's which look more or less identical. There is the Palit Jetstream and the Palit Super jetstream.

The specs i was comparing my friends 780 Evga Classified was to the Super jetstream. The standard jetstream has about 70 less base clock speed which accounts for the lower score. I overclocked my Jetstream to the specs of the Evga classified and got the same scores.

Just figured i would report back in case anyone else had this confusion. Didn't help that benchmarking sites refereed to the super jetstream as the jetstream grrr. :p