FX-6300 + ga-78lmt-usb3 OC problem

pezman726

Honorable
Aug 26, 2013
Hey all,
Hoping you can help me. I am trying to OC my fx6300 on a ga-78lmt-usb3 rev 5.0 motherboard. I had it Prime 95 stable for 6 hours at 4ghz @ 1.308v

After a few reboots, I got the message on my BIOS POST that said OC failed, and it reverted back to my stock settings.

The odd thing I noticed was when this happened, and I have been able to get it to do this multiple times, is that it displays my total RAM as 7168mb. I have 4x2GB sticks of DDR-1333 installed, running at 9-9-9-24 @1.5v. I have not touched any of the ram timings, and left them all at the defaults

This OC has only been done with the multiplier boost, not messing around at all with FSB overclocking. Is this just a sign of instability with the OC and the CPU messing up, or could I have a bad stick of RAM?

I have ran through the windows memory test, let it do 4 runs and they all passed.

While running intel burn and p95, core temps never went above 45C.

Solution
Run a proper memtest http://memtest.org/ to rule out the ram although it may just mean that the budget board you have can hardly handle that high an OC.

pezman726

Honorable
Aug 26, 2013

There have been plenty of OC's on this particular board. i realize that it is a 4+1 vrm, but they do have a heatsink on them, and there are many documented OC's on this board up to at least 4.5ghz that I have seen. If I had the finances to get a different board, belive me, I would have!!! But that's the board that fit in the budget with the capabilities that I needed. :p

I'll run memtest tonight. Hopefully that can shed some more light and see if I got some bad ram. (i bought the 'budget' microcenter RAM, which is just repackaged a-data sticks, so I wouldn't be too surprised if it is bad). If I can't get a stable OC, i'm not too concerned. The 6300 at stock still readily beats my x3 720.

pezman726

Honorable
Aug 26, 2013
Update:

First I took out my 2 new 2GB sticks (the ones from microcenter) and left in my 2 old 2gb g.Skill sticks. OC'd and rebooted multiple times. No issues. I put back in my 2 new sticks, and did my OC and kept rebooting, running P95, rebooting, running p95, and could not get it to give me the OC error anymore. Is it possible that the RAM for whatever reason when I installed it, it just didn't get seated right, and reinstalling it fixed whatever was the issue?

Now I'm trying to push my OC further. I've got it at 1.355v and 4.1ghz (multiplier at 20.5) I tried 4.1 at 1.33 and my 4th core kept failing after 20 minutes. I'm now 30 min in, and all 6 cores are stable so far.

According to HWMonitor
package temps: 47C
TMPIN0: 34C
TMPIN1: 50C
TMPIN2: 63C
CPU Vcore: 1.308V (vdroop) (1.344 max)

edit: BAH!!! right after I posted, core 3 failed. FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4 So now I've had it run with core 4 failing with lower voltages and core 3 working...and with the higher voltage settings core 4 is fine, but core 3 is failing. WTH!!