HD 7950 Boost CrossFire Help

darkguy2

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2013
I just built my new system with two 7950s and I am not sure if this is correct or not. It seems like one card is running hot while the other is cool. CrossFire is enabled. Here is some screenshots from GPU-Z.

azd.png

6vp.png

5yh.png

Solution
Also get speed fan it will also give you a constant ability to see your temps also there is a bug with gpuz that will cause one of your cards to max out whenever you start gpuz while having the two hd 7950 cards try not starting gpuz and i bet the card does not max out.

lowriderflow

Distinguished
i have the same setup... if you're just idling in windows, then the second GPU is doing 0% work load.

install MSI afterburner and you can chart/graph hte workload/temps/fans etc.

on a side note.... the top card is always going to be 10-15c hotter than the bottom b/c of the hot air that gets trapped between them.

I have an HAF x case, and it has a cool little adapter to setup a 120mm fan right between the cards to vent, that really helped out my heat issues.

darkguy2

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2013

I just built it so I have not had a chance to install a game yet. The problem is that it is always at 99%.

I will try to get a game installed. What should it look like?

darkguy2

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2013
I actually figured it out. It was completely my fault. I had OverDrive enabled and set that card to 925 MHz. Another question. Is it normal for the temp in CCC to be 0 when the card is not in use? Does it just not read it? I get a temp in GPU-Z. I also tried playing Batman AC but I did not see that symbol come up.

darkguy2

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2013

1) I took out the cards b/c I thought one of them was making a weird hum so I may have not pushed it in all the way. I will check after I get home from work.

2) It is checked.

3) It was in full screen.

Ok well download afterburner http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/download.htm it will come with a program called kombustor this will give you a few benchmarks to run where you can see both running. temps and strength also have you disabled the ULPS
I have the same graphics cards. settin?

Also get speed fan it will also give you a constant ability to see your temps also there is a bug with gpuz that will cause one of your cards to max out whenever you start gpuz while having the two hd 7950 cards try not starting gpuz and i bet the card does not max out.

Solution

darkguy2

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2013
Yes I did notice that gpu-z was the problem. When I play a game or watch a HD video the other card will come on. I still do not see that symbol however. Can you give me a game that you know it will show up for?

I believe the symbol your looking for can be found by opening the ccc icon on the bottom right of the desktop screen it will give you a bunch of versions of your card pick the one on top when you click there will be an option to turn on the crossfire symbol in game

darkguy2

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2013

The problem is that my case does not have a option for a side fan. That was why I was looking to get a card fan that will go in the pci slot. My case does have a vertical slot that goes right over the cards however. So I was thinking of putting the card in that slot but I am not sure how much that would help.

I also set the fans to max and did the burn test again. The second card was in the 60s but the first one is still in the 80s. But a degree or two lower.

darkguy2

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2013
I have replaced my rear exhaust fan with a higher CFM fan. It has helped my CPU some but not the cards as they are below the fan. I like the idea of that spot fan but hate that it only comes in blue as everything else in my case is red.

Yeah those glass side cases look very nice but restrict airflow you I would suggest two spot fans one pointed between the two cards and one facing upabove the top card blowing up pushing hot air up. You might want to look into liqiud cooling for that cpu it really changes temps I have a h70 and it is amazing for core temp and dropped the temps in the box considerably I have a fan controller that has temp probed you can move its very handy.

pedronery

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2011

having the same problem
everytime i play a game with crossfire enabled, the second card seems to be working partially :(

Uploaded with ImageShack.com

darkguy2

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2013
Make sure that you have the crossfire bridge properly set on the cards. Then make sure you have crossfire enabled in CCC. Also make sure that you are in fullscreen when you are playing BF4. Crossfire does not work when you are in windowed mode. It is weird that the second cards temps are showing up when not using the card. It should show as zero when not in use. Makes me think that you do not have crossfire set up correctly.

pedronery

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2011

The bridge is well connected and i already tried changing the gpu's position and the situation also remains the same.

I was told to disable "enableulps" in regedit which i did, but the only ones available are: "enableulps"(which is at 0) and "enableulps_NA" (which is at 1)

I have posted a screenshot of a game (bf4 in this case), but its the same with any other game, even in fullscreen mode.

I really haven't found a solution yet and was wondering if anyone has this issue.

CASE: Coolmaster CM Storm STRYKER | MOBO: ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77: INTEL Z68 Chipset |CPU: INTEL CORE i5 3570K (3.4GHZ) | RAM: 8GB GSKILL KIT DDR3 1600MHZ NQ, X.M.P | GPU: Crossfire 2 x 2GB AMD Radeon XFX HD 6970 | HDD: SSD Samsung 2.5“ 840 250GB | PSU: Corsair HX 750 | OS:Windows 8 Pro x64 | Monitor: 2 ASUS VW222U, 1 ASUS VW224 (1650 x 1050 * 3 = 5040 x 1050) | Game Controller: Logitech G27... Buttkicker gamer2. + TrackIR5..+ Saitek Cyborg R.A.T 3